Holiday Dinners

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kevin86

Senior Cook
I know many families have traditions that repeat annually and they are often delicious and wonderful. However, reading some of the threads on here it got me thinking.

For example thanksgiving or Christmas dinner often has a turkey as the main event for the meal. But to my understanding turkeys were originally chosen because of there size and how much meat they have on them and a single turkey can feed large groups of family and friends. But the rest of the year turkeys aren’t as popular.

This year with all the nonsense there aren’t supposed to be big groups so luckily you can get pieces of turkey but why are couples still cooking 15lbs birds?
I enjoy them and use leftovers, etc. But if it’s just for the big day do you stick with it for tradition or the leftovers or will you be subbing in roast beef or ham, etc this year?

I know many families have traditions that repeat annually and they are often delicious and wonderful. However, reading some of the threads on here it got me thinking.

For example thanksgiving or Christmas dinner often has a turkey as the main event for the meal. But to my understanding turkeys were originally chosen because of there size and how much meat they have on them and a single turkey can feed large groups of family and friends. But the rest of the year turkeys aren’t as popular.

This year with all the nonsense there aren’t supposed to be big groups so luckily you can get pieces of turkey but why are couples still cooking 15lbs birds?
I enjoy them and use leftovers, etc. But if it’s just for the big day do you stick with it for tradition or the leftovers or will you be subbing in roast beef or ham, etc this year?

Kevin, I make Turkey several times a year for just us two.
Either a split breast or Jennie-O has this lovely tenderloin
that is mighty tasty too.

IMG_6588.jpg

Our local market has both the split breast as well this pre-seasoned tenderloin through out the year.

SO and I will be alone this year. :(:(:(

I'll buy a whole turkey. I'm planning to make turkey porchetta according to this recipe: https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2013/11/turkey-porchetta-food-lab-recipe.html

The rest of the bird will go for a meal of thighs, and a really rich turkey stock for gravy and pilaf.

I also plan on two pies, pumpkin (SO's choice) and my favorite, pecan.

The usual sides will accompany in smaller quantities.

Hmmm… can't recall cooking a whole bird in almost a decade. Turkey breast is fine (that's pretty much all we go for), but hardly a delectable item IMHO. For us it really is all about the fixin's. So while I used to do a turkey breast or two, it's far easier (and just as good) to hit up the deli for thick sliced "dinner roast turkey breast" and concentrate on homemade fixin's (gravy, cornbread stuffing, green beans, onions and shrooms, mash, cranberry salsa, and pies).

And come Xmas, my tradition has become Mexican (so much green and red color). And so much variety (carnitas, chicken, steak, red and green salsas, guac, homemade tortillas and chips, beans and rice), including enchiladas, tacos, taquitos, tostadas, rellenos, flautas and more. So much on the table, put together exactly how anyone in attendance prefers.

Oh, and almost forgot… Margaritas and crystalino anejo shooters!

Last edited:
I here you, OP. There will be only 4 of us this year. Problem i am facing is my wife doesn't eat dark meat and my mother doesn't eat white meat. I am stuck. I'll have to get the whole bird. I wish they had small ones, maybe 5-7 pounds. Would be enough for main meal and the legs for soup. When there is a big crowd I also buy ground turkey and make the turkey soup with meatballs. Absolutely delicious.
I would consider the chicken instead, but I love turkey, and this is the only time of the year when I buy one. Going to store after work today. Will see what happens.

There will be three of us, so we are roasting Cornish Game Hens with scaled down sides of bread dressing, Mashed potato mashed rutabagga,l Relish tray, a carrot pie (my creation as I'm not supposed to eat winter squashes, like pumpkin, bit it tastes the same, with the same texture), an my mother's sea Breeze Salad. Everyone in my family loves the stuff. It's so tasty that I'm sharing the recipe with all of you.

Grandma Cartwright’s Sea Breeze Salad
Ingredients:
• 2 boxes lime Jello
• 1.5 cups hot water
• 1 cup evaporated milk
• 3 oz pkg. cream cheese
• 4 ice cubes
• 2 tsp lemon juice
• 1 can crushed pineapple
• ½ cup walnut pieces
• 1/8 tsp. Salt
Bring the water to a boil. Add the lime gelatin and stir for 3 minutes to completely dissolve it. Stir in the ice cubes until completely melted. Add all of the remaining ingredients, except for the pineapple, and walnut pieces, into a blender and puree until smooth. Add the pineapple and walnut to the mix and pour into a gelatin mold. Refrigerate for 2 hours.

I know that turkey breast can be ho-hum, and so did a bit of looking on google. This might be a wat to make it scrumptious:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0TfYHzEOcs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdyRDY5dd7c

I like the looks of the 2nd link better.

I hope all of my friends at DC have a wonderful Thanksgiving, and can have great memories to be thankful for. I offer my prayers for those who have suffered through the hurricanes, pestilence, and hardshi8ps of this past year.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

There will be three of us, so we are roasting Cornish Game Hens with scaled down sides of bread dressing, Mashed potato mashed rutabagga,l Relish tray, a carrot pie (my creation as I'm not supposed to eat winter squashes, like pumpkin, bit it tastes the same, with the same texture),

I want to hear more about that carrot pie. Recipe?

This seems an appropriate place for these pies. I have taken an excerpt from one of my blog lessons to help those who are new to pie baking. I hope it is helpful.

Several lessons back, we talked about fat and flour, and the many things that could be made from it. another one of those wonderful things is the pie crust. It is a spectacular vessel of flour, salt, fat, and water made to hold everything from lemon curd to the richest fruit. It can be filled with mixtures of potato, meat, and veggies, and served with gravy. It can hold whipped cream and chocolate cookies. It’s a wonderful thing. So let’s get started.

First, get all of your ingredients, pans, and tools together.

Pie Crust Prep

There is 3 1/2 cups of flour in that bowl. In the measuring cup lay 5 cups of freshly picked and cleaned blueberries. That little bag in the back is tapioca starch, or flour. You will also notice a tub of lard, and a cellar of sat. Oh, and let’s not forget the lemon. All of these will be used in their time. Here;s an ingredient list for you.

Crust: 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

1 1/2 tsp. salt

1 1/4 cups lard

Filling: 5 cups blueberries

2/3 cup sugar

1/4 tsp. nutmeg

5 tbs. tapioca starch

3 tsp. lemon juice

1/2 tsp. cinnamon

Other ingredients: 1 large egg 3 tbs. milk

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.

Making the crust:

Pictures will follow the text for each step, plus pictures of an apple pie, and Dutch apple Pie using the same crust.

Measure the salt into the flour and whisk to evenly distribute the salt.

Add lard Cut the lard into the flour. cut the fat

When the fat is completely cut in, the mixture will look like pebbles in the bowl.

Pbbel stage Drizzle 1 cup of water all over, and stir gently, just until a ball forms.

after the water And now we make the crust. Sprinkle flour all over your working table, or counter top. Remove half of the dough and form into a thick patty. place the patty onto the table and slide around on the flour to coat the patty bottom. Sprinkle more flour on top of the patty.

rolling the dough Use a rolling pin, starting from the dough center, and push outward with slight downward pressure. Turn the pin and push from the center again. Keep this process going until the dough is formed into a thin crust that is about 4 inches larger than you pie plate.

When the crust is rolled out, place the pie pan upside down in the middle of the crust.sizing the crust to the pan Next, cut the crust so that it is about 2 inches larger that the pie plate rim, and the edges are smooth.

Right Sized Crust Now comes the tricky part, getting the pie crust into the pie plate. But it’s not so tricky if you know how. Simply remove the pie plate and set it to the side. Slide a thin spatula under the crust to make sure it isn’t stuck to the table. Finally lift one side and fold the crust in half. Lift the crust and place it into the pie plate so that the fold crosses the center of the plate. Unfold the crust and gently center it.

Crust in the pie plate Now, tuck the excess dough between the crust sides and the pie plate, leaving a half inch of dough sticking up. Flute the edges with the thumb and forefinger of both hands. Fluting the crust

It should look like this when you are done.

Fluted Crust

Follow the same procedure to make the top crust, again making the crust about 3 to 4 inches larger than the rim of the pie plate.

In a small bowl, beat the egg with the milk to make egg wash.

Ina large bowl, combine the sugar, tapioca flour, and spices. Add the lemon juice and 3 tbs. of water. Stir until well mixed. Add the blueberries and gently stir to coat. Pour the berries into the bottom crust.

full of berries Fold the top crust in half and place the folded side across the center.

pie crust pick up Unfold and again press the excess crust behind the original crust. Flute the edges again. When the crust is in place, brush with the egg wash. Dust with granulated sugar.

Egg-wash on crust

Your pie is now ready for the oven. Place a cookie sheet under the pie plate to catch any drips. Bake for ten minutes. Turn the oven down to 350 degrees F. and bake for 40 minutes more. Remove from the oven and let cool. Here’s what you will have made.

blueberry pie

Yeh, it dripped a little, but I don’t care. That’s my working surface,and it’s been bleached, and scrubbed, and will be again tonight. This pie is perfect, but needs to cool completely for the filling to set.

You can use canned fruit filling if you want too. I had enough leftover crust for another pie. So I opened two cans of peach pie filling and made this.

peach pie from left-over dough Peach pie ready for the oven Peach Pie

Sorry everyone, but I’ve gotta go. I hear a pie calling my name.

Until next time, when we make those éclairs and profiteroles, eat healthy, eat well.

There is no success outside the home that justifies failure within the home.

Attachments

• Blueberry Pie Setup.jpg
    Blueberry Pie Setup.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 54
  • Floour & Lard.jpg
    Floour & Lard.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 52
  • Cutting in the Fat.jpg
    Cutting in the Fat.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 65
  • Pie Dough.jpg
    Pie Dough.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 52
  • Pie Crust Cut to Size.jpg
    Pie Crust Cut to Size.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 65
  • Pie Crust Fluited.jpg
    Pie Crust Fluited.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 63
  • Filling in Pie Crust.jpg
    Filling in Pie Crust.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 58
  • Top Pie Crust.jpg
    Top Pie Crust.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 58
  • Egg Wash on top.jpg
    Egg Wash on top.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 54
  • Baked Pie.jpg
    Baked Pie.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 60
  • Apple Pie 2.jpg
    Apple Pie 2.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 80
  • DSCF0139.jpg
    DSCF0139.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 62
  • DSCF0191.jpg
    DSCF0191.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
One of the members of a computer club that I was a member of had been a chef. When we had a potluck, he brought a boneless turkey. I think he may have left the the bones in the wings and drumsticks. it looked just like a regular roasted turkey.

I want to hear more about that carrot pie. Recipe?

If you play with the textures of carrots, steamed, or boiled until soft, in you mind, you will recognise the the texture and some of the flavor notes that are the same as for pumpkin. What I did was take the Libby's Pumpkin Pie filling recipe, and substitute an equal amount of mashed cooked carrot for the canned pumpkin. The color was a little more orange, but the flavor and texture were spot-on. For anyone who has kidney issues, this pie is a winner.

Oh, add another egg, and enough flour, plus 2 tsp baking powder to make this into batter, and it make a great dessert loaf, or waffles. I did that. It was really good.

Back
Top Bottom