Holiday wine choices

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DampCharcoal

Executive Chef
Anybody have any favorites this year, red or white? I've been picking over some vintage charts and have some idea of what I'd like to try but was wondering if some of you who have better taste buds than I could steer me in the right direction! I'm partial to reds but I enjoy whites on occasion as well. I've been hearing some good things about the newer Beaujolais (2003). Any suggestions? :D

Charc, I'm glad to hear about the Beaujolais because I picked up a bottle of the 2003 Louis Jadot at Costco last weekend.

I'm partial to the Chateau St. Michel winery products, especially their merlot. Also not a big white fan, but CSM's Johannesberg Reisling is very nice - not too sweet.

Also bought some Diablo Creek red zin at the local Safeway because it was cheap (two 750 ml bottles for $11) that was quite good, IMO.

I have about zero wine knowledge, just go with the tastes that please me.

Sounds like you have some great choices! Do you have the 2001 Diablo Creek? I only ask because 2000 and 2002 were miserable years for California wines. I took some wine tasting seminars some years back but I'm with you. If it tastes good, drink it. I've had bottles of Sauvignons, etc. that supposedly came from a bad year but tasted just fine to me! My tastes must not be distinguishing nor sophisticated! Now where did I put that bottle of MD 20/20? :LOL:

LOL, no 20/20 for me thanks! Don't know on the date of the Diablo Creek wine I got - the price tag was what caught my eye!

Like I said, I'm no wine expert, but I'm convinced you don't have to pay a bundle to get some decent stuff. The Yellowtail wines from Australia are pretty good too, and around here usually only cost about six or seven bucks a bottle.

A big jug of Gallo's old standby, Hearty Burgundy, is awfully good to cook with (man, now you've got me started...)

Another white I used to like but never see anymore is Paul Masson Emerald Dry.

Emerald Dry is still around, I think I saw it at Andersen's not long ago. One thing I've learned is that you should NEVER have to buy wine for more than $15-$20 a bottle, if that much!!! When you consider that the price of a great vintage of Burgundy goes for about $3 a bottle in France, makes you wonder if overseas shipping charges are either a bit inflated or local wine taxes are through the roof! :shock: Besides, the only thing that makes a $100 bottle that expensive is usually because of either limited production or oldies but goodies from years gone by.

I am looking to try some Tokay this festive season, heard it pairs beautifully with chocolate so I might make some indulgent more chocolate-than-chocolate dessert and sample this so called "wine for kings and king of wines".

Yeah should be able to, I have seen it around in various stores in Sydney. And if you can get it here in Australia, you should most definitely be able to get it in the States.

My dh drinks red (I'm allergic :( ) and he loves the Robert Mondavi Cabernet Sauvingon 2002. Also, "Barefoot" Cab is good, he says (3 gold medals, I believe) and I love their white zin (this I can drink :) )

I also love muscats of any sort - Trader Joe's has a surprisingly wonderful one, made in Paso Robles.

hey mud - I've visited Chateau St. Michel - quite pretty (& yum!)

We just drank a bottle of Augusto from Viansa Winery in Napa Valley - it was EXCELLENT!!!! Nice full body - can hold up against some strong food flavors. Holds up best against a really bad though! LOL

Prindelo by this same winery is another excellent choice and less expensive. It's a wonderfully balanced wine.

Hahn's Meritage is really inexpesive - buy it while it is - it WILL go up! Excellent wine.

For true Champagne 1999 Diebolt-Vallois - Fleur de Passion is excellent. It's made the old-fashioned way - and should be stored appropriately - 50°F to 58°F - but since I have no way of keeping it stored "perfectly" I'll just have to drink them Christmas morning! :oops:

Back
Top Bottom