Homemade Hot Chocolate Mix - TNT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Katie H

Site Moderator
Staff member
I live in the Heartland of the United States
It's that time of the year and I love hot chocolate. I always have a canister of this on hand and give it as Christmas gifts, too. Enjoy!

HOMEMADE HOT CHOCOLATE MIX
(Makes about 18 cups mix)

1 (25.6-oz.) box nonfat dry milk powder
1 (6-oz.) jar powdered non-dairy coffee creamer, like Coffeemate
2 cups powdered sugar
1 (16-oz.) can instant chocolate drink mix, like Quik
½ cup dark cocoa powder

Sift all ingredients into a large bowl. Mix well. After mixing, sift again, then put in a large airtight container. Store in a cool, dry place. Can be stored up to 6 months.

To make hot chocolate, add 3 tablespoons mix to 1 cup of hot water. Stir to dissolve. To make mocha, use 1 cup of hot coffee instead of water.

This sounds easy to make. I've always wondered how to make a good mix. Copy and pasted this one. Thanks Katie!

I have another question.
When someone says tablespoon as you have, do you mean an actual measuring tablespoon, or the table spoon that you would most likely stir with? The one that would sit on you table?

I have another question.
When someone says tablespoon as you have, do you mean an actual measuring tablespoon, or the table spoon that you would most likely stir with? The one that would sit on you table?

I have always used a "measuring" tablespoon. And, I've had it last quite nicely longer than 6 months. I keep mine in a Tupperware container.

Thanks Katie.
That's always been one of those great cooking mysteries to me.... since there is such a thing as a typical spoon that sits on the table and they are all basically the same size.... it would just stand to reason that anything that's going to be put into a liquid, stirred and drank should use a "normal" spoon to measure it out and it should be called a Tbs. Call the measuring Tbs something else :huh:.

Thanks Katie.
That's always been one of those great cooking mysteries to me.... since there is such a thing as a typical spoon that sits on the table and they are all basically the same size.... it would just stand to reason that anything that's going to be put into a liquid, stirred and drank should use a "normal" spoon to measure it out and it should be called a Tbs. Call the measuring Tbs something else :huh:.

Hi, pacanis. I think the measuring tbsp and tsp we use are based on soup and tea spoons, but are standard sizes. Soup and tea spoons on the table might have slightly differerent capacities, depending on the design. Just a guess :)

The small ski slope by me makes what they call a "snuggler". They add a shot of peppermint schnapps. I don't like Pep schnapps by itself, but this drink is very tasty. Who doesn't like chocolate and peppermint? :)
Hope it was politically ok to mention that in the NA drinks forum :angel:

Just remembered, amoretto (sp?) is another "supplement", too, that goes well with hot chocolate.

I want to start this post with a thank you to Katie for the recipe....then......I want to scream because freakin Wally World didn't have freakin powdered sugar. WTF ~ who runs out of powdered sugar. Well, I can go in the morning to another store but I'm none to happy. Stupid Wal-Mart.

Last edited:
With all the rain we've been having, seems like a good time to bump this again. I'm making some this weekend before I start packing everything up.

I love hot chocolate and this would be so much better than buying it. Thank you Katie. And thank you Callisto for bumping this up.

I love hot chocolate and this would be so much better than buying it. Thank you Katie. And thank you Callisto for bumping this up.
You're welcome. I did learn, Katie's measurements are by weight. Turns out 8 ounces of a dry powder is more than one cup. Just something to remember when making this.

The small ski slope by me makes what they call a "snuggler". They add a shot of peppermint schnapps. I don't like Pep schnapps by itself, but this drink is very tasty. Who doesn't like chocolate and peppermint? :)
Hope it was politically ok to mention that in the NA drinks forum :angel:

I don't like peppermint. :glare:

I want to start this post with a thank you to Katie for the recipe....then......I want to scream because freakin Wally World didn't have freakin powdered sugar. WTF ~ who runs out of powdered sugar. Well, I can go in the morning to another store but I'm none to happy. Stupid Wal-Mart.

Next time make your own powdered sugar. I put sugar in a small electric spice:chef::chef: grinder and presto I had powdered sugar! You can also try a high powered blender like a VitaMix to make it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom