Hosting house guests question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Claire

Master Chef
What do you do when your guests' food clock is totally opposite of yours? I often have freinds for whom breakfast is the event of the day, and if it's only a few days, I go out and try to make it a major meal in my life at something like 9 or 10 a.m. In reality, I've been up for hours, and had a bowl of soup or something at 6. Then at noon I'm starving, and ready for some social/food life, and my guests just consumed 1500 calories an hour or two ago. This is seldom a problem, but has been with long-term guests or when we get together and "do" a vacation with another couple. I guess I know the answer, and am just venting. I have guests coming this week who I love, but they'll be happy to eat one major meal a day .... a big, late breakfast.

There are some wonderful "Brunchfast" foods you can prepare the night before then pop into the oven in the morning - overnight cinnamon rolls are always a big hit. I would have plenty of fruit on hand and snack stuff to hold them (or you) off until you can all sit down together.

Part of being a guest that might receive a "return engagement" invitation is to abandon the "I usually eat 'this' 'then'", and more or less 'happily' accept that when in Rome, you do as the Romans do...

Anything else is a fair bit impolite....

Lifter

Gee, maybe we're odd, but generally we adapt ourselves to the meal schedule of our hosts when we visit.

When we have company, before they arrive, if we do not already know, we will ask about food habits, what they like, etc. Never had anyone object, they seem to appreciate that we are trying to be good hosts.

We do our best to adapt ourselves to our guests' likes and schedule. For example, almost never eat breakfast at home (but almost always on vacation, go figure), but make sure we put out a square one every morning while company is present.

And we always make sure there is food, including snacks, and drinks readily available and let the guests know they can graze anytime. If they want to nuke some casserole at 2AM and drink a couple of glasses of wine, while we sleep, they are more than welcome to.

As for a vacation with other people, they have to realize that we may not always do everything together, including dine. If we want to go to a pub that serves a proper English breakfast with a pint of ale at 6AM, and they do not, fine.

Have never had extended guests at our home. What is that quote about fish and house guests?

Our friends and relatives realize that we are not joined at the hips, we are glad to see them, but we do not need to spend all of our time together.

very good advice Lifter & Aunt dot - (nice to see you back, dot!)

I guess it all really depends on how uptight or relaxed you are. Auntdot seems like a very laid-back kinda gal, where, I'd let folks graze, so long as I prepared the food for them (I hate it when others take over my kitchen! Must be the OCD!)

It's a bit of the military lifestyle shining through. I personally have stayed with people for several weeks, and have had guests for 2-3 weeks. Never really had a problem, just kinda was wondering how someone would feel if I said, for example, "go out to breakfast while I go to my exercise class". When you're gainfully employed, this is never a problem (heck, you go to work, of course). My guests are always great, I might add, buying and/or cooking the breakfast, showing up with food, treating us to meals, gifts, etc. I just never seem to be hungry when they are, and was wondering how others handle this "problem". These particular guests stay a few days to a week, and that's only because they fell in love with Galena, and are in the process of buying their own vacation home here. It woulnd't matter anyway, they are wonderful people, and eating a big breakfast is hardly a huge problem!!! It's just a puzzlement.

Good points, Claire!

More "Rules for Guests":

a) Thou shalt never "arrive" empty handed

b) "Take out" or "Order In" allows some relief for the resident Cook, and Thou, the "Guest" shall pay...if only in "tribute" to your Host

c) Thou shalt offer, consistently, without prompting, to clear and clean up at each and every opportunity

d) Thou shalt repair, replace or pay for each and every damage one doth inflict upon one's Host

e) Thou shalt be fulsome with Thy compliments on the charities offered by One's Host, and keep a still tongue in One's head about the "barbaric" home "customs" practiced by One's Host or his/her family

f) Thou shalt offer "full reciprocity" of hosting thine Host in turn, for a greater period if and as necessary, and exhibit, in the most gracious manner, including making no mention whatever of it, even greater "charity" to one's past Host(s), including abandonment of one's own "barbaric" if not "weird" customs and traditions.

g) Thou shalt leave and vacate the Host's Home and Sanctum as quickly and quietly as is possible to do on sensing the least boredom, impatience or anger by one's Host, always remembering the "fulsome thanks", including, but not limited to verbiage, follow up letters, cards, flowers, and gracious things said to those of mutual acquaintence...

And,

h) In being in simple compliance with such "manners" One shall consider oneself no better nor worse than to be considered, in its most simple sense, as a "Lady" or a "Gentleman"...

Lifter

Thanks jkath, have not been away for long.

But usually only post when I feel I have something to add.

Am very taken by the kindness and good advice all of the people here offer.

God bless you all.

Am just a bit shy about stating my opinion.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom