Hot Dog Picture Contest.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
hairy-sausage

2.jpg

mmm hairy sausage, an old student's joke

p.s.
America+is+a+hot+dog+xzFWB4QwwE1l.jpg

Last edited:
I made home made hot dog buns, and we had brats last night, but I was so hungry I forgot to take a picture!!!

can you , please share your hot dog buns recipe please. My kids are upset with buns I have been buying, thinking about making my own. Please.

CharlieD said:
can you , please share your hot dog buns recipe please. My kids are upset with buns I have been buying, thinking about making my own. Please.

Of course!

Hamburger or hotdog buns

3/4 C. Milk
1/4 C. Butter or shortening
1/4 C. White sugar or 3 T honey
1 t. Salt
1 package active dry yeast
1/4 cup warm water
1 egg
3 C. Bread flour

Heat milk in sauce pan until it bubbles, remove from heat. Stir in butter, sugar, and salt until melted. Let cool until luke warm.

In small bowl combine yeast and warm water. Let stand until creamy, about 10 min. In large bowl, combine yeast mixture with cooled milk mixture, egg, and one cup of flour. Stir in remaining flour one half cup at a time, beating well after each addition. When dough has pulled together, turn out onto lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic (about 8 minutes).

If using a bread machine (which I do, because it is sooooo much easier), follow step one, then dump all liquid ingredients in first, including the lightly beaten egg, then all dry ingredients, with yeast put into an indentation in the top of the flour. Use dough cycle.

Separate dough into 16 pieces (I use a wire and a kitchen scale to get them uniform), and roll each piece into a 4 x 6 rectangle, one at a time, and roll up the long way. Pinch ends to secure, and square them off. Place 1 inch apart on cookie sheets and cover loosely with plastic wrap, or a damp towel. Allow to rise until doubled in size. If you don't let them rise long enough they will be dense. I like to turn on the oven for 1 minute, then shut it off and raise the dough in the oven with the door shut. The warmth speeds up the process. You could probably just shape them into 6" cylinders, but I find the rolling method makes them hold their shape really well. This makes great hamburger buns too, you make 12 pieces instead of 16, roll them into balls and flatten them out so they are english muffin shaped, then let rise.

Bake at 400° for 10-12 min, or until golden brown

Lodge cast iron grill pan. Kathleen got it from Santa. :)

So far we have been happy with it.

We do.

I have the lodger girdle (2 burner) and had to do some reverse engineering on it to make it sit right.

I've had several grill pans, including a Lodge, but have a Calphalon now, and it does a great job and is also easy to clean. We use it for steak, among other things. Not knocking your cast iron, just mentioning another choice.

Chili cheese dog all the way (whole-wheat bun, bead of Tabasco brand hot & spicy mustard, Chili (with beans cause that’s the way we roll LOL), shredded cheddar and chopped raw yellow onion.

For anyone who has eaten at New Jersey’s Rascals or Hot Grill, “One chili cheese dog all the way, one!” LOL (PSSSSST bucky!!)

img_1093372_0_2a9abbb90336ac413d089cd46ee2284e.jpg

msmofet and bt, i am ravenously aroused by your hot dogs! starting with msmofet's chili cheese doggie ATW mmmmah! (we all know atw, right) and then sloppily, saucily, gloriously plowing on through bt's 2 dogs ATW, or as far as i can humanly get and still live....thanks, you two, for a most decadent and delicious dragon-breath repast this morning to start my day with....:):)

Santa's sleigh must have been heavy. He brought me a 10" Lodge skillet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom