Hot Pot and/or Rice Cooker

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dragnlaw

Site Team
Staff member
I've been looking on Amazon. The choices are so great and there seems to be something different wrong with so many of them, things that to me are unacceptable. LOL in other words I want darn near perfect!

Some were: lid didn't sit straight - only on or off - no automatic off - no keep warm - one had you pulling the plug in order to stop it! Some worked for 2/3 times then died.

So then I thought I would get a multi-function rice cooker. They too had a multitude of problems. And almost all had terrible customer service!

That is without going over $150.
Although... if that is my only choice and if the down sides are not toooo bad I would pay more.

So I need your thoughts/recommendations/opinions/suggestions/experiences. please

Hmmm… I simply can’t wrap my head around a rice cooker. Perfect rice is an easy and almost hands off process to make. Why would you want/need a stand-alone device to do this?

I agree with Scott. When I make plain white rice, I make it in the microwave. It turns itself off when it's done and keeps the rice warm until it's time to eat.

I understand what you are both saying. I've used the micro and the stove top all my life.

Now, in my new 'digs' I do not have a kitchen designated area. I have only one burner on my work table and I must clear away everything when I want to use it. I make sure it is far enough from the wall and everything else that should be occupying the area at the time to not steam/splatter/spit on it. Walls are not tiled nor protected. I cover everything else with tea towels including my lap top. When it has cooled down I clean and put everything away again.

A small pot does not take up the real estate the burner does and is easily stored away.

I was not originally looking for a rice cooker but while reading up on them thought they might be a multitasking appliance with not that much more real estate. Noticed them as JOC has this give away contest going with one. Many bloggers have them but like you, never felt the need. Just thought it might be handy as I cannot cook and store like I used to.

Life changes...

A year or two ago I bought a Tramontina induction hob for when I’m on the generator (as it is 110v/15a), and the generator won’t power my 7kw stovetop.

It is 15”x11”x2.5” and weighs only a few pounds. I got from Walmart for under 70 bucks (and it came with two nice pans). AND it is SO good compared to my ceramic cooktop that I almost always drag it out to do omelets, delicate sauces, and some seafood.

Would something like this work for you?

So much more versatile than a rice cooker.

Last edited:
I have a Krups rice cooker/steamer/slow cooker/oatmeal maker and I love it! I originally had a a 10 cup rice cooker which makes 20 cups of rice, which lasted me over 20 years. When it finally went tango uniform I realized that I never, ever made anywhere close to 20 cups of rice, so I opted for the 5 cup model. I have had it for about ten years now and I never had a problem with either of them until, after 20 years, the first one stopped sensing the weight of the rice and water in the pot and kept shutting off before the rice was cooked. I have always had good luck with Krups appliances.

Last edited:
Sorry Scott, I said burner but it is actually an induction burner. Same as yours but by Master Chef.

Right now they are on sale at Canadian Tire for $50. - a really good deal for all Canadians if they have them in your area! 50% off!

But Scott, what I am saying is that I have to move things around in order to use it. Back on the farm I would have brought it out more but never did as counter space there was limited. Plus cooking for one, didn't actually need the extra burner that often. Had originally gotten it when I was without any stove for about 2 weeks.

Thanks Sir LOB, I will check it out! Yes, I've always liked the name of Krup.

I also had a Krups rice cooker for many years, before I got my Instant Pot, because of all of the Asian food I cook. I gave it to a friend, and it's still working - over 20 years
old, for sure!

Well, I've just bounced all over the place - Sold out, don't know when they'll be back.

Even the Krups website doesn't list them... :ermm:

Sorry, I thought you had a microwave in your new digs. Bummer about the Krups. Hopefully they'll have them back in stock soon. The holiday season is coming up, you know [emoji2]

Sorry, I thought you had a microwave in your new digs. Bummer about the Krups. Hopefully they'll have them back in stock soon. The holiday season is coming up, you know [emoji2]

:) Yeah, holidays! I figure if they're coming back now would be the time.

I do have a microwave and a toaster oven and I've been getting very adventurous with them. :rolleyes: but they are not great for everything.

;) It's not the end of the world, but I'm surprised, thought more people would have had experience with them.

Dragn, maybe ask Roadfix. I'm pretty sure they have mentioned using a rice cooker

Is the appeal of the rice cooker the size? Would an Instant Pot be of interest or have you already looked at those and decided it isn't for you?

I've been looking on Amazon. The choices are so great and there seems to be something different wrong with so many of them, things that to me are unacceptable. LOL in other words I want darn near perfect!

Some were: lid didn't sit straight - only on or off - no automatic off - no keep warm - one had you pulling the plug in order to stop it! Some worked for 2/3 times then died.

So then I thought I would get a multi-function rice cooker. They too had a multitude of problems. And almost all had terrible customer service!

That is without going over $150.
Although... if that is my only choice and if the down sides are not toooo bad I would pay more.

So I need your thoughts/recommendations/opinions/suggestions/experiences. please

Curious dragn, what do you want from this new appliance?
I mean what is it that you want to be able to cook in this multi-functioning
gizmo?

I love my Zojirushi Rice Cookers. I have the NP-NW-10 in the house, top of the line, Made In Japan and cooks the rice under pressure. Nothing and I mean nothing compares.

I have the NP-HCC-18 in the RV. It is one step down, still Made In Japan, no pressure settings, but it does a very decent job. And, the 18 cups is good for pot luck events.

My understanding is all the lesser Zojirushi models are Made In China. There's a big difference.

The Zojirushi our performs all my previous rice cookers. They do other things besides cook rice, but I don't use them much for those things. I do have other Multi-Cookers that have a rice setting, but DH knows the difference and complains. Go figure?

But then, I've always been picky about rice. When I was in grade school, Mom didn't cook and she didn't drive at that point either. A real treat was walking to the Mexican Village Restaurant, about 2 miles away. I would ask the waitress, is Tash here today & did he make the rice? She would lie to me, when he didn't, and I would know and not eat it. She couldn't figure out how I knew...LOL.

A friend of mine just got the NP-HCC-10 on a super sale from the Amazon Warehouse, I think. Open box and she got it for $135...that's a steal! So, they can be had for less.

Of course, many things aren't available at all. They either don't have the "parts" (microchips) or they are sitting on a ship in a harbor waiting to be off-loaded...sigh.

P.S. Hot pot in the traditional way, I don't think you can do it on an induction burner. That said, you can make decent Hot Pot dishes in another Zojirushi product and no, I'm not affiliated in any way with the company! ;-) Anyway, when my last electric skillet died, I got one of these: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B001KVZZGC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 That was one of the things that drew me to it...that and the 2 "pots" and the fact that they come off for washing separate, making that so much easier too. And, it works!

Nothing and I mean nothing compares.

Hey Ginny. You’re not the first to extol the virtues of a rice cooker, but I am really curious what users do with them that results in superior rice than just dumping the right amount of rice and water in a pan, bringing to boil, covering it and setting it aside without bothering it.

This works perfectly for me, and I can make minor changes for sushi or sticky rice.

I’m not trying to poo-poo fans of the rice cooker, it’s more about me learning why it may be a necessary device given perfect results with a sauce pan.

Hey Ginny. You’re not the first to extol the virtues of a rice cooker, but I am really curious what users do with them that results in superior rice than just dumping the right amount of rice and water in a pan, bringing to boil, covering it and setting it aside without bothering it.

This works perfectly for me, and I can make minor changes for sushi or sticky rice.

I’m not trying to poo-poo fans of the rice cooker, it’s more about me learning why it may be a necessary device given perfect results with a sauce pan.

It is all in the taste!! Really, that's my best explanation. It is fool-proof. Can't just forget to turn it off or something equally silly, that happens when we are busy with 50 things at once? I've successfully adapted my favorite rice recipes to the rice cooker and they are better for it. Nothing beats that pressure cooking the rice, in my opinion. I usually start it well before dinner, then just let it sit in "warm" mode, ready when we are.

I'm not saying it is a one-size-fits-all thing. Not saying that you should or would...just saying that I love it. Of course, I know that Tash never had a rice cooker...wish I had his recipe...LOL.

It is all in the taste!!

You mention taste as well as advantages of pressure cooking. But in reading the rest of your post one might conclude it is more about the hands off/automation of it.

If perfectly cooked, regardless of the method, what is different about the taste?

You mention taste as well as advantages of pressure cooking. But in reading the rest of your post one might conclude it is more about the hands off/automation of it.

If perfectly cooked, regardless of the method, what is different about the taste?

For me, it is all about the taste and the texture. I wouldn't use any method, no matter the convenience, if I'm going to sacrifice the end product.

That said I'm not sure that I have the expertise to answer your question, in the way you want to hear it. I'm a city girl that moved to the country, self-taught cook. Nothing special. I do what I enjoy AND gives me the result I'm looking to get.

I've just put the fixings for Indian Spiced Rice in the rice cooker for tonight's dinner. If I get an epiphany during dinner, I'll write it up later. :chef:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom