Hot Pot and/or Rice Cooker

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
For me, it is all about the taste and the texture. I wouldn't use any method, no matter the convenience, if I'm going to sacrifice the end product.

That said I'm not sure that I have the expertise to answer your question, in the way you want to hear it. I'm a city girl that moved to the country, self-taught cook. Nothing special. I do what I enjoy AND gives me the result I'm looking to get.

I've just put the fixings for Indian Spiced Rice in the rice cooker for tonight's dinner. If I get an epiphany during dinner, I'll write it up later. :chef:
So you're talking about flavored rice, not plain white rice?

Using a pressure cooker infuses more flavor from aromatics, herbs and spices into whatever is being cooked. That's one of the benefits. But most rice cookers aren't pressure cookers.

The people I know who eat a lot of rice swear by their rice cookers; a rice cooker reliably cooks perfect rice and keeps it warm, every time. Doesn't matter whether it's jasmine, basmati, short grain or brown, your rice will always be perfect with a rice cooker.

Serious Eats reviewed rice cookers for 2021, and their choice as the best rice cooker for most people is the inexpensive Hamilton Beach 37548, $50 in the US.

I don't have a rice cooker, but I've heard such good things about the Zoi.

Here's the complete review, and an explanation of what makes rice cookers so good at what they do:

https://www.seriouseats.com/the-best-rice-cookers

OK, originally I was just looking for a Hot Pot. I could not find any with great reviews so I started looking at the Rice Cookers, especially after seeing JOC's blog offer.

From the sounds of it Zojirushi seems to be the best. With the multifunctions to be used as steamer, hot pot or rice. The only thing that put me off has been the price and availability!

For me personally, the induction burner is more effort to use (clearing area and surrounding area), and is limited to compatible pans.

Scott, the pros to use of a rice cooker is in fact easier, delish and GG, of course you can make regular rice. That is what it was designed for!

Sorry, but making rice is not a complete hands free/start and forget it on the stove. Check for the boil, turn it down, turn it off/remove from heat at the finish. Forget/delay any of those steps and your rice is easily ruined.
Microwave is better but there, for me personally, I can only use certain appliances one at a time as they are on the same circuits.

Kgirl, I would use the Hot Pot for single serving soups - stews - reheats. I have a few one pot meals that could be done in it. :LOL: They are sort of like an electric kettle on steroids. But will maintain and/or shut off power as you wish.

Ginny, thanks for your "review" good to hear it was worth it for you.

GG, of course you can make regular rice. That is what it was designed for!
Just to be clear, I was responding to Ginny saying rice tastes better when made in (I think she meant) a pressure cooker - she kept saying pressure. I can't imagine how plain white rice would taste different depending on what appliance/pan is used to make it.

ahh, I see.
Actually the high end rice cooker, if I remember correctly, does sort of cook it under pressure. I think the lid seals/compresses so acts as a pressure cooker. Not too sure just how that works but think that's what I read,

ahh, I see.
Actually the high end rice cooker, if I remember correctly, does sort of cook it under pressure. I think the lid seals/compresses so acts as a pressure cooker. Not too sure just how that works but think that's what I read,

Yes, that is correct. The Zojirushi NP-NWC10 cooks the rice under pressure. This model also has a Rinse-Free option. And, do not ignore the fact that it is made in Japan. It is simply a better product. Not all of the Zojirushi products are still made in Japan.

I don't understand how (why) you would use this for hot pot. I still feel that the electric skillet is a better option for this purpose...but if it works for you, great!

Whatever you choose, I wish you many happy meals!

Well, since I did not know what a Hot Pot was, I looked it up and I found this:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/dezin-el...al-soup-temperature-control-beige-e/296968136

dragn, if it were me, I think I would go for something like this rather than the Rice Cooker avenue.

That's my 2¢
Great. Another kitchen gadget I didn't even know existed. Me needs one.

Now I just need to figure out how to sneak it into the kitchen.

I like an instantpot for a multipurpose gadget. It does rice decently and so much more.

That Hotpot does look interesting though.

And I also use a rice cooker. I like just dumping it in and turning it on and forgetting about it.

Just a cheapy Aroma, but I look at them as throw aways. Use it till it dies. First one lasted a week then melted the hinge. This one has lasted longer, but Japanese cooker is on my wishlist.

My wife cooks Chinese food for a living, so on the stove is natural for her. Perfect every time. Doesn't work for me. Or I'm too lazy to try more like it.

And doing it on the stove doesn't allow me to buy new gadgets.

When you said, hot pot, I thought you meant this:
https://thewoksoflife.com/chinese-hot-pot-at-home/
I assumed you were cooking rice to go along with Hot Pot haha

If it were me, I'd get the Zoji, too. My Asian friends, including those who work in restaurants, all use rice cookers. Over half the population here is from China or Taiwan, so rice cookers are everywhere. Though not in my kitchen,,, yet.

Right on Kgirl! That's exactly what has been left over from my process of elimination.

Someone mentioned using an electric skillet, I have one and rather think that a cup of soup would end up all over my table while trying to pour it out. :LOL:

When you said, hot pot, I thought you meant this:
https://thewoksoflife.com/chinese-hot-pot-at-home/
I assumed you were cooking rice to go along with Hot Pot haha

This is along the way of my thinking and why I suggested an "electric skillet," but I may be wrong in calling the item "electric skillet": https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B001KVZZGC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is one that I have and one that many like to use for Hot Pot. It comes with 2 pots, one deeper than the other. The plug-in removes completely so that it isn't a bother on the table...and it is so easy to wash up as the pots come right off the base for cleaning. This is what I use for Hot Pot. Not the traditional, old way of doing hot pot, but the 21st century style.

Late to this thread dragnlaw. You're probably way ahead of me but I've been living in a very small apartment for a number of years. No stove and no oven. Cook with a single induction and a single conventional electric burner; four-slice toaster oven; 1100 watt microwave; 18-quart roaster oven, and lots of other small appliances.

Bottom line; "only a poor workman blames his tools."

But to the point, while I have an old cheap rice cooker that serves me well enough, I don't even know what a hot pot is, so I wish you well and will look for an opportunity to make constuctive suggestions in the future.

Last edited:
Right on Kgirl! That's exactly what has been left over from my process of elimination.

Someone mentioned using an electric skillet, I have one and rather think that a cup of soup would end up all over my table while trying to pour it out. :LOL:

When I travelled and stayed in hotels a lot, I used to bring a travel sized electric skillet. I could boil water, bake potatoes or a cake, fry a steak, etc., etc. But, yes pouring liquids out of it was an adventure. With practise, I got pretty good at it. It was square, so I used the corner as a spout. I don't think a round one would be good for that at all.

When I think of an electric skillet, this is what I have

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstay...illet-with-Glass-Cover/272878399?athbdg=L1600

super inexpensive, but I wouldn't do rice or soups and that sort in it.
I use as a skillet. It's heating element is for s---, very uneven but it works for how I use it, shallow fries, pancakes, that type, and I fry things out of doors, keeps the smell out there. Love it for cutlets!
IMG_6527.jpg
Note to self: make Tonkatsu!! :yum:

Update and Cannoli wraps,

So in the end I got this pot. Have used it several times and am quite satisfied with it. Usually for a Noodle Soup, once I browned some mushrooms and it did a good job. I can see a future with this pot. It does have only 2 settings of heat, plus off. Would rather a graduated but... Other point, and I knew it befor I bought is that the inner pot does not come out.

When I pulled it up on Amazon just now it gives a price around 50$. I don't remember but I'm pretty sure I didn't pay that much. and there are several, all basically the same with prices up and down the scale! LOL

But I'm happy with it. Thanks for all the comments guys - I'm such a fence sitter :( so hard to make a simple decision.

I've also just bought some Creme Horn and Cannoli Tube molds - Do you know how many choices there are???? OMG - took a full sheet of paper to compare!

Sorry the link didn't work (just tried it and not for me either) but glad you found it. Yes, I find it works for me. 1.5 litres. Big enough but not too big.

I think that was the price I paid... 40$?

Sorry the link didn't work (just tried it and not for me either) but glad you found it. Yes, I find it works for me. 1.5 litres. Big enough but not too big.

LOL actually you could probably use the link that Kgirl posted.

The first link I found was to Walmart, I think. The price I saw was $52+ :ermm:

Ross

Back
Top Bottom