Hot Sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

-DEADLY SUSHI-

Washing Up
Anyone has a recipe to make a hot sauce with lots of flavor? It sounds simple but I tried and the ones I make just arent that great. :?
Im not talking "burn your face off" hot. But something with a nice kick and can be used with steaks and chicken. I am a condament freak. :roll: Alas, I havent found anything on the shelves already made that does it for me.

THANKS! :D

Deadly Sushi, (do you mind if I call you DS?) are you looking to replicate a Tabasco style sauce or improve upon it?

I'm pretty sure Tabasco is just fresh chilis blended with some vinegar. I don't think it's even cooked.

Well Im looking for a sauce that is somewhat tomato heavy. Vinegar is probably a good addition. But I dont care for a REALLY strong vinegar taste. Tabasco by itself is to light of a sauce. More of a steak sauce consistancy, but with more of a fresh tomato flavor and more spicy. Also, I would love to have some cilantro and or lime juice in there. But not to sweet.
I tried and tried, but I just cant seem to get a good sauce. :oops:

Sounds good so far, DeadlySushi! I might be shot dead for this suggestion: a touch of light corn syrup and a tiny bit of liquid smoke? If you're looking to start from absolute scratch, I have no more suggestions but would be more than willing to help!

IronChef, that's a good idea! I've spent so much time working in "theme" restaurants that I tend to forget that good food doesn't come from a freezer truck and the local canned food distributor! :roll: Forgive me! ;)

Chef.... I tried it...... THIS is what I have been looking for!!! :shock:
You Sir are a gentleman and a HUGE cooking brain! Thanks again! My friend tasted it and was blown away!!! :D

well I'm glad you liked the suggestion, that's one of the great things about cooking is that there are so many different ways to create something. Now that you have the base for the sauce (tomato-barbeque), you can start experimenting to what you add to it: different chilis, combination of chilis, liquors, etc.

Sounds like you may already have what you want, but a friend gave me this one some time ago. You can vary the number of chilies depending on the heat or lack of that you desire.

Habanero Hot Sauce

24 medium habanero chilies; stemmed & chopped
1 large tomato, cored; peeled & seeded
1 cup red onion; chopped
2 cloves garlic; peeled
1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cup white vinegar

In a blender or food processor, puree chiles, tomato, onion and garlic. Add
lime juice and salt. Heat vinegar in a small saucepan over medium heat.
When hot, pour into chile mixture and process until smooth. Allow to cool.
Pour into a sterilized container. Cover and store, refrigerated, for up to
6 months. Makes 2 cups.

We love it. 8)

wolfie

Thanks Wolfie!! :D I shall give it a go, but I think I'll change the 24 habenero peppers to 20 chipolte and 4 habeneros. Im afraid the heat will knock me off the chair. :D I will make it tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom