Hot Smoked Duck

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bolas De Fraile

Executive Chef
I had planned to do a few more things but the much needed rain intervened.
I did not know if I should have brined the duck, I just put a dry rub of garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper and left it in the fridge overnight to flavor up. I would like some pre-smoking fowl brines please.
garden & BBQ 104.jpg

yummo, bolas. that duck looks good.

i don't know why, but the voices in my head keep saying "duck season, wabbit season"

That looks delicious.
Were you happy with it or did it need something, thus the inquiry about brining?

That looks really good!

I wouldn't think a bird with as much natural fat as a duck would need a brine.

Thanks for the kind comments, I was very happy with it but I had read posts about brining fowl and I thought maybe I should:)

I read a lot of posts about brining, too, but haven't yet. Maybe if I had a problem with the meats I grill being dry, I might buy into it more as a "must brine" method. I'm not saying you can never be too juicy or add more flavor, I just haven't found the need to yet.

I brine my turkey every year for thanksgiving. I only buy natural turkey so that I can brine. If I remember correctly, the others already have brine in them. All I use is kosher salt and water. I might throw in some rosemary, thyme, basil, and oregano but normally I cant tell a difference with the way I cook the turkey. He gets rubbed down with just about everything

I brine my turkey every year for thanksgiving. I only buy natural turkey so that I can brine. If I remember correctly, the others already have brine in them. All I use is kosher salt and water. I might throw in some rosemary, thyme, basil, and oregano but normally I cant tell a difference with the way I cook the turkey. He gets rubbed down with just about everything

Many supermarket turkeys are injected with a salt solution, but not all. For example, the frozen Butterball turkey is injected while the fresh Butterball is not. I brine a fresh Butterball every year. Any commercial turkeys that are injected will indicate that on the label so there is not guesswork involved.

Back
Top Bottom