House Fires - PLEASE READ

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pigs On The Wing BBQ

Master Chef
Joined
Apr 29, 2005
Messages
6,922
Location
Akron New York
House Fires - PLEASE READ

Received from a friend who is in the property
insurance business. It is well worth reading. This isone of those e-mails
that if you didn't send it, rest
assured someone on your list will suffer for not
reading it. The original message was written by a lady whose brother and his
wife learned a hard lesson this past week.

Their house burned down.. ..nothing left but ashes.
They have good insurance so the house will ! be replaced and most of th
contents. That is the good news.

However, they were sick when they found out the cause of the fire. The
insurance investigator sifted through the ashes for several hours. He had
the cause of the fire traced to the master bathroom. He asked her
sister-in-law what she had plugged in the bathroom.

She listed the normal things....curling iron, blow
dryer. He kept saying to her, "No, this would be
something that would disintegrate at high
temperatures". Then her sister-in-law remembered she had a Glade Plug-In, in
the bathroom.



The investigator had one of those "Aha" moments. Hesaid that was the cause
of the fire. He said he has seen more house fires started with the plug-in
type room fresheners than anything else. He said the plastic they are made
from is THIN plastic. He also said that in every case there was nothing left
to
prove that it even existed.



When the investigator looked in the wall plug, the two prongs left from the
plug-in were still in there. Her sister-in-law had one of the plug-ins that
had a small night light built in it. She said she had noticed that the light
would dim and then finally go out. She would walk in to the bathroom a few
hours later, and the light would be back on again. The investiator said that
the unit was getting too hot, and would dim and go! out rather than just
blow the light bulb. Once it cooled down it would come back on.



That is a warning sign . The investigator said he personally wouldn't have
any type of plug in fragrance device anywhere in his house. He has seen too
many places that have been burned down due to them.
 

Bill The Grill Guy

Master Chef
Joined
Jan 17, 2005
Messages
5,454
Thanks for posting that Pigs. Just a side note. Most of the structure fires that we work are caused from candles. PLEASE use them with caution.
 

Helen_Paradise

Head Chef
Joined
Jun 27, 2005
Messages
1,245
Location
SoCal
Bill The Grill Guy said:
Thanks for posting that Pigs. Just a side note. Most of the structure fires that we work are caused from candles. PLEASE use them with caution.

I'll have to get pictures of what I did to my VCR...but I have a glass "dish" I burn my candles on. Yeah, I know it is NOT a safe place for it...but anyhoo. I do have it on top of the VCR. So, one day I was burning a small candle and it was almost out. Yeah, I know it was stupid...but I added the matches I had used to light the candle to the wax/wick mess. Well...had a 4 inch flame and was like wowed by it. Didn't think anything of it. Few days later I went to dust the area. Lifted the glass dish and the fire had gotten so hot it melted an indentation in the VCR. At first I didn't know how that happened. I thought the VCR sparked something from the inside...but then I remembered the flame. Never again [-X
 

Bruce B

Master Chef
Joined
Jan 4, 2005
Messages
6,759
Location
Utica, MI
Bill The Grill Guy said:
Thanks for posting that Pigs. Just a side note. Most of the structure fires that we work are caused from candles. PLEASE use them with caution.

Hopefully, one day, they'll run the hydro lines up the mountain to you folk, and you can quit burnin' candles, and use this new stuff they call lectricity.
 

Puff1

Chef Extraordinaire
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
12,331
Location
Warren, Mi.
Bruce B said:
[quote="Bill The Grill Guy":3hnxiffk]Thanks for posting that Pigs. Just a side note. Most of the structure fires that we work are caused from candles. PLEASE use them with caution.

Hopefully, one day, they'll run the hydro lines up the mountain to you folk, and you can quit burnin' candles, and use this new stuff they call lectricity.[/quote:3hnxiffk] Well doggy, I reckin' yer right :lmao:
 

allie

Sous Chef
Joined
Dec 27, 2005
Messages
963
Location
Indiana
I like to use a candlewarmer. Walmart carries them for about $4. The bad thing is if you put a candle on one, it messes up the wick so you can never lite the candle again. The nice thing is a nicely scented candle on a warmer, keeps the room smelling nice and it lasts a lot longer than burning one!

Another thing I like to use is the Oust Fan. It comes on every 15 minutes and runs for 5 minutes. Oust is really good at freshening the air!
 

Puff1

Chef Extraordinaire
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
12,331
Location
Warren, Mi.
i can keep the room smellin' real nice too, Make some cabbage soup, deep fried onion rings, or some nice fried perogis, =P~ Now that is air freshener :bow:
 

Latest posts

Top Bottom