How Are You Social Distancing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks for your comments, Ross and Kane...

We're simply trying to follow the strict guidelines and mandatory requirements imposed by our knowledgeable Health System authorities, whose record of results to date is nothing short of outstanding for this Province's over 5 million population:

- 1,560 COVID cases confirmed to date, 955 of which have since fully recovered;

- Only130 persons currently hospitalized, of which 60 are in intensive care;

- Over 4,500 spare hospital beds available to cover future outbreak/2nd wave eventualities;

- 75 deaths to date, of which the majority were in 21 seniors' care homes and 2 prisons;

- Average daily new cases confirmed over last 2 weeks = less than 50/day;

- Average daily deaths in past 2 weeks = approx. 3/day

Hard to beat those results !

Last edited:
Dave, I found this method so easy! No Sew!! I found 3 banadanas in my dresser-draws and seeing as I have long-ish hair, hair ties are abundant in our house .... just a thought ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjTAdUEFwK4

<edit> I also found this ... "Bandana (or handkerchief or piece of cloth) + hair ties. That’s all you need. So easy! Whoever invented this ... Thank you!
ADDITIONAL INFO: you can insert a “non-woven cloth” in the middle of the mask like wet tissues that are dried to act as a filter. Someone also suggested coffee filters, gauze, air condition filter, or vacuum bag with HEPA filter. Stay safe
"
Thank you!! I will give that a try! I have lots of bandanas. [emoji3][emoji106][emoji106] it looks really really easy.

Thank you!! I will give that a try! I have lots of bandanas. [emoji3][emoji106][emoji106] it looks really really easy.

The reason those are folded, then flipped over, and then folded some more is to give them "pleats" and make them snug to the face better.

There are guidelines that require doctors to see patients in person from time to time, especially if the patient has pre-existing conditions and takes medication. They can't check vital statistics or perform examinations remotely, so there's no way to have a complete annual exam. Most med dosages are based on weight, blood pressure, etc. I don't think it would be a good idea to depend on patients to report their own vitals accurately.

So that's why, imo [emoji2]

I haven't been following this thread so I apologize for the delayed reply here. Not arguing with anybody but thought I'd share a different perspective and experience regarding patient recorded vitals. I record weight, blood pressure, glucose, temperature, and more first second thing every morning. Data goes back to the summer of 2017. At each visit, I give the Dr. copies of the spreadsheet and graphs that go back to the previous appointment date. It is useful for him and me.

My Doctor gave me the option of coming in for my scheduled appointment on April 10, doing a video-tele-exam, or rescheduling. He and I discussed the options over the phone during which he consulted my "Vitals" spreadsheet submitted in previous appointments and asked about any changes in the current data.

So I'm not here to advise anybody else but for myself, even if the doctor wasn't interested in seeing my records, I'd continue recording the data daily for my own benefit. But truth be told, if the Doc insisted on making judgments based solely on the snapshot of vitals at the appointment, ignoring available information taken daily in between appointments, I'd look for another Doctor.

That's just me though.

... But truth be told, if the Doc insisted on making judgments based solely on the snapshot of vitals at the appointment, ignoring available information taken daily in between appointments, I'd look for another Doctor.

That's just me though.
I have no idea how you inferred that from what I said. Most doctors, for the last several years, have been using electronic medical records so they can review trends for weight, lab tests and imaging results before and, if necessary, during the appointment. They also include spreadsheets and graphs, and I can review them myself through the patient portal.

I was speaking in generalities. Most people are not going to be as diligent as you are about keeping their own medical records. I'm sure doctors can tell when their patients are being that diligent.

Last edited:
Remember to wash the hair ties in the sink. And if you wear glasses, clean them when you get home.

Remember to wash the hair ties in the sink. And if you wear glasses, clean them when you get home.

Check and check PF!!

I take my (outside) shoes off at the door, my mask is dis-assembled and placed in a bin to be washed, hair ties go into another small bin to all be washed, glasses also into their own bin for cleansing (I only have non-Rx sunglasses), hands are washed and in some cases I change clothes too if I feel un-easy about where they've been ---- all done in the laundry room that is off of the garage, prior to entering the 'house'.
DH hasn't left the house since the end of February so ... I'm trying very hard not to bring any cooties in ...

My two favorite things ive seen so far wasL:
1) The woman wearing gloves and no mask. Touching everything with no care at all, just to take a drag of her cigarette ( which was being heldby her dirty gloves) therefore, bringing all the bacteria / germs directly to her face and mouth.
2) The guy who I saw in the car next to me who had a great N95 mask which I assume he was wearing properly while out. But now, while alone in the car, he had the mask, with the elastics still around his ear, but the mask ( mouth/ face side down) on top of his head, therefore contaminating the part that will be in direct contact to his mouth, nose ,face next time he puts it on.

In my line of work, gloves, masks and infection control are instilled upon our actions and instincts. I understand people are doing the best they can with what limited physical material and knowledge they have, but a little common sense goes a long way.

There is no way to go out there and be 100% protected, But common sense could improve the odds.

There is no way to go out there and be 100% protected, But common sense could improve the odds.

+1 exactly..

Ross
You beat me to it. +2

And the lack of common sense astounds me, although Im not surprised.

I think it was Samuel Clemens who said, "The trouble with common sense is that it isn't nearly common enough."

Local medical experts and Vanderbilt University are predicting a peak in the C-virus outbreak for the Memphis metropolitan area between the end of May and the middle of June. So irrespective of actions by a Governor or President, my social isolation will last at least through the 4th of July, more likely Labor Day.

I'm with you on that Skilletlicker. Same as whoever wrote this:

Attachments

• outside 4.2 the stable patch.jpg
    outside 4.2 the stable patch.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 69
The best social distancing food shopping Ive done so far. Took a road trip out east where all the farms are, just together out of the house for an hour. Actually was looking for the asparagus tractor, but must be a little early. Luckily, stumbled upon the Spinach tractor. Fresh locally grown spinach, all bagged up, and a money drop box so no interaction at all. There really is a big difference eating something that was grown locally, picked and eaten within a day of each other.

Attachments

• IMG_5058.jpg
    IMG_5058.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 64
The best social distancing food shopping Ive done so far. Took a road trip out east where all the farms are, just together out of the house for an hour. Actually was looking for the asparagus tractor, but must be a little early. Luckily, stumbled upon the Spinach tractor. Fresh locally grown spinach, all bagged up, and a money drop box so no interaction at all. There really is a big difference eating something that was grown locally, picked and eaten within a day of each other.

Cool. Was the owner of the tractor and spinach even there?

And yes, locally grown, extremely fresh food is extra tasty. I've been getting groceries from an urban farm. It's called Lufa Farms. They have greenhouses on top of buildings. They harvest the amount that is required for the orders going out that day. They also have arrangements with local farms for meat, cheese, and other vegis, as well as local bakeries and other artisan food producers.

Actually, harvest might not be the right word. For most of the produce they grow on their rooftops, they just pull the whole plant with its soil package out of the hydroponics and ship them that way. I have a number of those plants growing in pots next to my patio window.

Cool. Was the owner of the tractor and spinach even there?

The tractor was in front of their house, but a good 100 ft away from the road. Based on the honor system ( although there was a sign that said there was video surveillance).

I almost toured one of those rooftop gardens in Brooklyn, and there is also a huge hydroponics garden in NYC that I want to tour. Just haven't gotten around to it yet and looks like it will be awhile before I can do that.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom