How can I get that grill taste... without the grill?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cookinkris

Assistant Cook
I gave away my grill and now that I need that grill taste for my marinaded chicken/pork I can't pull it off. I've tried with my cast iron skillet but no love!
At a fusion food truck recently, they had what I perceive to be a grill top but that requires ventilation and I'm cooking from home. Also at some burger places like IN-N-Out they have those long flat tops that can cook all sorts of things, but meat seems to have a charred taste. that's what I'm looking for! Any ideas? thank you.

Higher heat with your cast iron pan. Put the meat into the hot pan until it sears then flip it over let the other side sear.

Higher heat with your cast iron pan. Put the meat into the hot pan until it sears then flip it over let the other side sear.

I should add that the meat is marinade/chopped and I can't get this taste with my cast iron. Do you know of any flat tops grills or some other solution for home kitchens?

Maybe something like this?
10879716512176P.JPG

It is cast iron, has the ridges to get the grill marks and it is made to work on the stovetop!

I mean, you'll never ever get the exact same taste without using a true grill ... you just can't replicate or fake that flavor. But you should be able to come up with something close.

some part of the "open flamed grilled" taste - and the percentage is debated - comes from the drippings burning off the coals / baffle plates. that is very difficult to replicate on a stove top.

high heat, ridged pan - and an exhaust fan. some of the juices will run into the ridge grooves and "smoke off" / char / burn / pick a description.

liquid smoke is chemical kaka, imo. yukaroonie.

i've experimented by adding a burning bit of apple wood chips to a screaming hot cast iron grill pan towards the end of cooking meats, and covering the pan to contain the smoke.

it's tricky, but it worked well enough to impart some smoke taste, along with the charring from the very hot pan.

not great, but at least it didn't set off the smoke alarms and doesn't taste like it was made in a petrochemical factory...

Last edited:
liquid smoke is chemical kaka, imo. yukaroonie.

though i can see why you would assume so, liquid smoke isnt some weird chemical concoction....its actually just smoke extracted into water, that simple...so it's really not far from the real thing, nor should you fear it if you eat food smoked the real way
i have a bottle that i use occasionally

now, whether it produces the exact same taste/result, or if its cheating, can be debated to death....

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah, i know people like it, and it's not actually a chemical mixture, but it still tastes funky to me. like certain herbs, i can pick out the tiniest amonut in most dishes.

hmm, i wonder if i could taste it in food that was also actually smoked?

yeah, thats fair....i only use it when grilling isnt an option, and only use a small amount to provide a "hint" of smoke....any more than that would prob taste weird

but it is nice to have ocassionally

You should try one of those things I posted in the "favorite gadget" thread. It's almost like you are grilling, but without the drippings dcsaute mentioned. If you are using a gas stove that is. And a splash of liquid smoke in there just might come halfway to tasting like your food was grilled. Grillex or something like that it is called. The latest and greatest must have kitchen appliance, lol.

Cast iron grill/griddle is the one!

Thanks everyone! The cast iron griddle/grill is exactly what I was looking for Zareh, but I just couldn't think of the name. The Grillex looks like pretty interesting too! Now my challenge is finding one that is of great quality- not made in China and no aluminum on the cooking area :D

Not sure if it's what you're looking for, but I get wonderful smokey flavor from my little Cameron stove top smoker. Others here can vouch for it too. Then maybe use the stove top CI griddle and continue cooking whatever you have for the char.

Not sure if it's what you're looking for, but I get wonderful smokey flavor from my little Cameron stove top smoker. Others here can vouch for it too. Then maybe use the stove top CI griddle and continue cooking whatever you have for the char.
Also a great idea. Thanks Dawgluver, I'm looking into this right now!

cookinkris said:
Also a great idea. Thanks Dawgluver, I'm looking into this right now!

Check out Amazon, and Kayelle and Katie's posts here on DC about the smoker. We all prefer the bigger smoker.

Grill Without a Grill!

Hi Cookinkris - try this and hopefully you will enjoy.......

Imitating the flavor of grilling without using a grill is possible with some advance planning. People who live in apartments or in cold winter climates find it necessary to either go out to eat food with a grilled flavor or they have to find ways to imitate that great grilled flavor. You may find this of some use

Instructions

• 1 Buy a good cut of fresh meat. Fresh meat helps to enhance the flavors added. Buying meat from a butcher is the best option. Look for good marbling to help the tenderness of the meat.

• 2 Pierce each cut of meat with a fork several times to maximize the absorption of seasonings and flavors.

• 3 Marinate the meat for at least 2 hours using southwest style seasonings. You can find these in the seasoning section of the supermarket. Using a dry rub is also possible, but marinating the meat will help it to stay juicy during cooking.

• 4 Preheat the oven to the temperature recommended for the type of meat you are cooking.

• 5 Mix a liquid smoke marinade by following the directions on the bottle. Place the mixture in a shallow oven proof dish. Place on the lower shelf of the oven below the meat you're cooking. For a more intense grilled flavor, add liquid smoke flavored product to the marinade or lightly brush onto the meat before cooking.

• 6 Place the meat on a broiling pan and cook until it is cooked to your personal preference.

• 7 Add barbecue sauce if desired once the meat is cooked. Barbecue sauce that is added before the meat is cooked will form a burned crust over the meat.

Enjoy.......

All the best,
Mark

Good post mark, this is the traditional way in the UK to get that flavor on your steaks.
1 fill a watering can with sprinkler nozzle
2 Place bbq lighter cubes in a plastic bag with your steaks and marinade in the fridge for 6 hrs.
3 put on a silly hat
4 consume 6 cans of German larger
5 place a stool next to the bath
6 place steaks in a frying pan and get into the bath holding the frying pan in your left hand.
7 get your partner to light the butane blow torch. Tip if you forgot step 2 use a kerosene blow torch.
8 get your partner to mount the stool and sprinkle a steady stream of water down the back of your neck as you apply the blow torch to the meat.
9 when you have got the correct charcoal finish let the steak rest in the dustbin, change and go out for a curry.
I would recommend for the novice to fill the bath.:)

Back
Top Bottom