How do you cook your pork chops?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You said you're using thin chops. I think by the time any fat renders, they will be done and if you try to brown them afterward, they'll be overcooked and dry. Just heat a couple teaspoons of oil till just smoking and brown your chops on both sides. It won't take long.

Also, personally, I don't think paprika has a lot of flavor. I like to use thyme or sage. I also love Penzey's Greek seasoning - lemon, oregano and garlic - or Mural of Flavor seasoning on pork.
I agree. For thin chops, hot and quick is the way to go. They are done in next to no time.

I agree about the paprika. I thought it was because I had the grocery store paprika, so I bought some Hungarian paprika and it was pretty ho hum too. Now, the same brand of hot Hungarian paprika, that stuff has flavour.

Just another yummy pork preparation:

Finely dice the raw pork and stir-fry it until done, with a little chili powder, some cumin, and your favorite hot sauce. Dice up some onion, and tomato, add shredded cheese and lettuce to make pork tacos.

Change up the herbs and spices to black pepper, sage, and a splash of Italian dressing, and stuff into pita pockets with shredded lettuce, cucumber, and avocado. You might also thinly slice the pork rather than dice it for this preparation.

Those thin sliced pork chops can be quickly cooked like a minute steak over hot charcoal, with simple seasoning of S&P and be fabulous.

Lastly slice into thin strips and use to catch yummy fish (just kidding, that's what earth worms are for.).

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I use salt, pepper, onion powder and Bell's poultry seasoning.

%21B3y29Tg%212k%7E$%28KGrHqJ,%21iQEyd1dT,OIBMnjp2Bk4%21%7E%7E_35.JPG
+1!! I always use poultry seasoning on pork.

I love chops cooked this way >> Ms. Mofet's Pork Chops and Sauerkraut

Without wanting to turn this into a paprika discussion, I mostly have used paprika for sprinkling it on half a ripe avocado with a little salt, yum. Also for baked sliced potatoes, to add some color. I'll look into getting some paprika that has more flavor than the common variety (for my attempts at pan frying pork loin chops).

Last edited:
I sear over a very hot charcoal fire (natural hardwood charcoal started in a chimney starter) then finish in a 375 degree oven. A little salt and pepper is the only seasoning I use. Never fails to produce a juicy, delicious chop. The pork tastes of itself and isn't overburdened with sauces and seasonings.

Last edited:
I have some boneless pork sirloin chops in the freezer - plan on cooking them next week.

Do you guys think that cooking them in some apple ale will work well? Randy thinks that simply using some apple juice and cheap beer would be a better choice, but we have some Redd's, so I was curious. :chef:

Thanks in advance.

Have never had apple ale, but apple anything goes well with pork chops. I'd give it a shot, Maelinde, and let us know how it turns out!

Definitely brown the chops first.

Last edited:
Is the cheap beer something you would enjoy on its own? If not, I wouldn't cook with it. Just like with wine, you want a flavor you like to be imparted into the food. If you don't want to drink it, you won't want to eat it, either ;)

And Dawg is right about browning the meat first. Then add the ale and scrape up the browned bits on the bottom of the pan and simmer for a bit. When the chops are done, remove to a plate and cover with foil to rest. I'd then add some mustard and chicken broth to the pan and simmer to reduce, then pour this sauce over the chops to serve.

Last edited:
I would split the beer with the dishwasher and use apple or currant jelly, a knob of butter, some whole grain mustard and a splash of stock, water or wine to deglaze the pan, sort of a Cumberland sauce.

I would split the beer with the dishwasher and use apple or currant jelly, a knob of butter, some whole grain mustard and a splash of stock, water or wine to deglaze the pan, sort of a Cumberland sauce.

I have some currant jelly that I got to make a rhubarb cake and was thinking about using it with the excessive amounts of pork chops I got (BOGO packs). I was thinking about mixing it with water (and maybe raisins, but that might be too much, I don't know) and using it as...not sure of the name, a kind of glaze, I think - just warming it in a pan with water and dumping it over them after I cut slits in them. I thought it might be tasty and help with the dryness.

Now I want to try your thing.

That currant jelly is fantastic. Never had that before. I am all the time saying to myself, "How could I have missed out on this all these years?" :)

Have never had apple ale, but apple anything goes well with pork chops. I'd give it a shot, Maelinde, and let us know how it turns out!

Definitely brown the chops first.

I sure will! I do tend to prefer browning the chops first as well. I'm excited to try this next week. :chef:

I love apple with pork, too. Something magical occurs when marrying apple & pork. :yum:

Is the cheap beer something you would enjoy on its own? If not, I wouldn't cook with it. Just like with wine, you want a flavor you like to be imparted into the food. If you don't want to drink it, you won't want to eat it, either ;)

Randy drinks cheap beer... I, however, do not. Love the Redd's Apple Ale, though. It is nice and slightly sweet as ales tend to be.

And Dawg is right about browning the meat first. Then add the ale and scrape up the browned bits on the bottom of the pan and simmer for a bit. When the chops are done, remove to a plate and cover with foil to rest. I'd then add some mustard and chicken broth to the pan and simmer to reduce, then pour this sauce over the chops to serve.

That's how I tend to cook chops. Randy likes to marinate and grill them, and his are quite good. I prefer them in the pan on the stove with good beer or apple juice. This time I'm trying it with the Redd's. I'm hoping they will turn out as good in reality as they sound in my head. <grin>

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom