How do you make your Pigs In The Blanket?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
How do you make your Pigs In The Blanket?

I make a standard white, or whole wheat, made with milk, bread dough, letting it rise once. I the punch it down and roll into a 1/8 inch rectangle. I then place the Koegel'ss all beef franks in uniform rows, spaced so that when I cut the dough. it will completely wrap around the hot dog. I pinch together all sides and ends, brush with egg wash, and bake at 350'F/ until golden brown. These must be served with squirt bottles of mustard, sweet pickle relish, and ketchup, I have been known to roll cheese, chili, or both into the dough as well. I let rise for 15 minutes before baking. After bringing these to a church pot luck, they were my most requested recipe, even more than my smoked turkey.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

At one of the schools I attended. the lunch room chef;s were a couple of Italian ladies who made from scratch meals every day. The pigs in the blankets I make were inspired by theirs. They were a favorite. the brad just absorbed flavor from the hot dogs, and there were squirt bottles of ketchup, relish and mustard at each table, Everyone loved them. They were a meal, not an appy. They are a comfort food and memory for me. I've tried the kind you linked to, not the same thing at all. I would make those with sausage links, or little smokies. Those are appetizers.

My version can be adorned with chopped onion, sour kraut, salsa, whatever you like with your dog. Plus, the work with kielbasa, knockwurst, asn other sausages as well.

I haven't had pigs in blankets since I was a kid / teenager. It was campfire food. We would use Pillsbury biscuits or Bisquick dough and wrap the hot dogs, with the ends sticking out a little bit. Then they were stuck on a stick or straightened hanger and cooked over the campfire. I don't remember if we bothered with condiments. They were fun as a kid. They no longer have much appeal.

"Pigs in a Blanket" is what we called pancakes wrapped around breakfast sausage links /QUOTE]

O man, I haven't had this kind of pigs in a blanket in ages. Gotta make these!
-

As far as appetizer pigs in blankets go, I use puff pastry. Lob off part of a roll of sausage, roll into a hot dog shape, a little thinner, wrap in puff pastry, slice into healthy bite size and pinch ends. Egg wash and sprinkle with poppy, caraway, or sesame seeds. Mustard for dipping - Hot english, German, Creole, whatever you feel like. Add a little well drained sauerkraut for German style. o yeah, bake 400 F for about 20 minutes parchment lined baking sheet. Check one for internal doneness. easier made than writing this all out.

The ones my mom made were the same as CG's. Put the sausage on top of the pancake and roll it up. Although pancakes and sausage are an occasional treat these days, I haven't had them rolled up since I was a kid.

I don't make these often, but I do the easy kind - wrap crescent roll dough around Lil Smokies and bake. Serve with yellow mustard for dipping [emoji39]

"Pigs in a Blanket" is what we called pancakes wrapped around breakfast sausage links.
Thats how I remember them from childhood. Had a pancake house I could walk or ride my bike to. They made them with lots of whipped butter on top (they gave you extra butter) and their syrup.
They were the best.

All our holidays have the wrapped weenies and they are good. Usually the best item on the bar.

I don't make these often, but I do the easy kind - wrap crescent roll dough around Lil Smokies and bake. Serve with yellow mustard for dipping [emoji39]
We do as well. But I may be up for a homemade version. Maybe?
Someone posted this up top of the thread.
https://www.pillsbury.com/recipes/mini-crescent-dogs/e8abc84e-8a0e-42d6-ae7e-23b677a161ac

Last edited:
I bought the sausage links.....but I am confused. Is the pancake wrapped sausage a hand held food? Why would you put butter and syrup on a pancake wrapped sausage?

Boil cabbage leaves, fill with cooked rice, chopped meat and grated onion and garlic, roll and fold, place in a baking dish, add tomato sauce, and bake in a 350F oven for 90 minutes.

Last edited:
I bought the sausage links.....but I am confused. Is the pancake wrapped sausage a hand held food? Why would you put butter and syrup on a pancake wrapped sausage?
Actually, beth, rolling the sausage in the pancakes was more about presentation and for fun. When we had them, we would unroll the pancakes and stack them and put the links alongside. That's when the pancakes got buttered and syruped.

Thanks CG...that's funny!

I typically serve pancakes with a sausage patty or link on the side. I'm going to make thin pancakes and serve them rolled with the link as a hand held, fun food!

I can remember, as a youngster, going to IHOP and getting pigs in blankets-the pancake and sausage version. I believe in more recent times the description applies more to the dough wrapped little smokies or hot dogs. Probably as a result of Pillsbury's advertising.

For your pancakes and sausage pigs in a blanket, I would do that with good crepes, and dress with sausage grease and maple syrup, or blueberry syrup. The crepes are more flexible, and lighter.

If you have never tried the pigs in a blanket I described in my first post, you are truly missing out on a great meal. And with frozen, raw bread dough so readily available, the are easy to make. Serve with some great baked beans, or even your favorite canned beans,

For your pancakes and sausage pigs in a blanket, I would do that with good crepes, and dress with sausage grease and maple syrup, or blueberry syrup. The crepes are more flexible, and lighter.

If you have never tried the pigs in a blanket I described in my first post, you are truly missing out on a great meal. And with frozen, raw bread dough so readily available, the are easy to make. Serve with some great baked beans, or even your favorite canned beans,

I had thought about crepes but it had not been mentioned. I think I will make crepes!

I have both maple syrup and home made raspberry and chokecherry syrup:yum:

Thanks..

Back
Top Bottom