How do you make your rice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

callmaker60

Senior Cook
I have always made my rice, 1 part rice, 2 parts water. After watching a lot of youtube video's some use 1 part rice, 1.5 parts water, some use a 1 to 1 ratio. What's your method?
And how long do you cook it?

Last edited:
Different types of rice require different ratios of water. For regular white rice, I use 1 part rice to 2 parts liquid. For plain rice, I put it in the microwave and cook for 7 minutes, stir and cook for 8 more minutes. If I'm making pilaf, Mexican rice, etc., I cook it for 20 minutes.

Different types of rice require different ratios of water. For regular white rice, I use 1 part rice to 2 parts liquid. For plain rice, I put it in the microwave and cook for 7 minutes, stir and cook for 8 more minutes. If I'm making pilaf, Mexican rice, etc., I cook it for 20 minutes.

Thanks GG, will try your method soon.

White rice - 1 part rice and 1 1/2 parts water

brown rice - 1 part rice to 2 parts water

I always use a rice cooker for all rices, included packaged rices such as Zatarains and Near East, and my own recipe for Mexican rice. No timer required because the rice cooker knows when it's finished cooking the rice, then shifts to KEEP WARM mode for however long you need to keep it warm.

I use Jasmine rice almost exclusively. I measure out 1 cup of rice into a pan and rinse it with three water changes. Then I measure 2 cups of fresh water into the pan with the rice and add some salt with a cap full of oil. Bring to a full boil, cover and turn the heat to the lowest possible flame (or setting). Do not uncover for 17 min, then turn off the stove. Uncover after sitting for 5 minutes and fluff with a fork. Perfectly cooked fluffy rice every time.
The last thing I want or need is a rice cooker.

Last edited:
White rice (long grain) = 1.5 water to 1.0 rice. Rinse the rice well and add it to the boiling water. Simmer for 20 minutes. Rest for 5.

Pilaf (with angel hair pasta) 2.0 broth to 1.0 rinsed rice. BTB, RTS, 25 minutes. Rest for 5.

I meant to say, if I'm cooking pilaf, etc., I cook it on the stove. This is because I start it by sautéing onions, garlic and the rice in oil or butter, then I add the liquid and seasonings and simmer covered for 20 minutes.

Also, cooking rice works great because it cooks till it's done, turns itself off, and keeps the rice warm till we're ready to eat, without requiring a unitasker.

Last edited:
A rice cooker is a wonderful device – it makes perfect rice every time. Put in the ingredients, hit the start button and forget about it until dinner is ready. I bought my first one last summer, and I wish I had one when I was still a full time worker. It makes for one less item to think about when trying to put dinner together after work.

I gave one to my daughter for an early Christmas present when she returned to work after her maternity leave, and she uses it several times per week. With a new baby, the slow cooker and rice cooker have been life savers, as neither one requires any monitoring (but the baby certainly does!).

I use a rice cooker for white rice and use a 1 to 1.75 ratio of rice to water for small quantities. For larger batches I reduce the amount of water somewhat. My rice cooker is old and was CHEAP. No fancy electronics on board. Perfect rice every time.

For brown rice I usually cook on the stove stop. I prefer short grain brown rice and like toast it in a little butter before adding the cooking liquid. I keep my brown rice in the freezer to preserve freshness. Ratios are more fluid.. but usually about 1 part rice to 2.5 parts water. Long grain brown needs less water.

I use a super cheap little rice cooker for brown rice, one part rice, two parts water. Set it and forget it.

A rice cooker is a wonderful device – it makes perfect rice every time.

Until it doesn't, and that is when you replace it. A cheap one will last at least two years, a medium priced one will last about 5 years, and the fancy ones that have three or four different functions can last 10 years.

I also toast brown rice before cooking it. Just a few drops of oil and stir until it gets nice and aromatic. It works wonders for keeping the grains fluffy and separate, and also adds a nice nutty flavor. I also usually toast white rice first too, come to think of it.

I don't have a rice cooker - I just cook it on the stove top.

I'm very surprised so many American cooks here eat so much rice that a dedicated separate appliance would be wanted or get so much use. I don't eat rice anymore at all, but when I did, I wouldn't cook it more than once a week or so. That's certainly not often enough for a counter footprint with a rice cooker.

Last edited:
I make oatmeal in my rice cooker too. I like to throw in a handful of raisins and some maple syrup.

I don't make a lot of rice but when I do, I do stove top and follow Hinode's directions like I did tonight and it came out perfect in just 20 minutes.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom