How do YOU make your stuffed peppers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I booted this thread to ask a question about freezing stuffed peppers prior to baking.

I usually make up a stuffed pepper when I purchase a family pack of ground beef.

I'm wondering if I could make up a couple and freeze them raw to bake and serve later or if I should bake them and then freeze them.

My plan/preference is to clean a couple of peppers, slice them in half the long way and stuff them with raw meatloaf mix, wrap in foil and freeze. I have had good results freezing raw pepper strips and chopped peppers for use in cooking. I have also had good luck freezing raw meatloaf and burgers so I'm thinking it would work.

I would appreciate any tips or ideas on this, thanks!

I booted this thread to ask a question about freezing stuffed peppers prior to baking.

I usually make up a stuffed pepper when I purchase a family pack of ground beef.

I'm wondering if I could make up a couple and freeze them raw to bake and serve later or if I should bake them and then freeze them.

My plan/preference is to clean a couple of peppers, slice them in half the long way and stuff them with raw meatloaf mix, wrap in foil and freeze. I have had good results freezing raw pepper strips and chopped peppers for use in cooking. I have also had good luck freezing raw meatloaf and burgers so I'm thinking it would work.

I would appreciate any tips or ideas on this, thanks!

I'd bake them and then freeze them Bea.

When I was single, I'd often purchase Stouffer's Baked Bell Peppers for a meal alone. BTW, they were the best thing ever, including my own, with a wonderful sauce. Anyhoo, I know they had been cooked before freezing, all ready to be microwaved. I'd do the same.

I'd bake them and then freeze them Bea.

When I was single, I'd often purchase Stouffer's Baked Bell Peppers for a meal alone. BTW, they were the best thing ever, including my own, with a wonderful sauce. Anyhoo, I know they had been cooked before freezing, all ready to be microwaved. I'd do the same.

When I was working I used to keep those on hand and many of the other Stouffer red box items. :yum:

I think you may be right, precooked is probably the best option. I need to experiment a little. My main concern with freezing them raw is the coagulated protein/blood that sometimes comes with frozen ground beef, not very appealing!

Thanks!

Last edited:
I haven't made stuffed peppers in a long time, as DW can't handle eating peppers anymore. But an idea hit me when I saw this thread. I love carne asada beef. I think for my next batch of stuffed peppers, I will lightly grill some beef over charcoal, to rare, just to get that great grilled flavor, then dice the meat, add minced hot peppers, a little cilantro, onion, and lime, and put it into the bell pepper. Maybe I'll make a little hat of tamale dough to top it and give that great, fresh corn tortilla taste to the dish. I will then bake the peppers until they are done.

So whadaya think? Will this fly? Of course this could be made with Anaheim peppers, or banana peppers as well.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Chief, when my mom made stuffed vegetables, she used a variety, not just peppers. She stuffed cucumbers, zucchini, green and red tomatoes. She also used cabbage and grape leaves. So your DW can enjoy your delicious stuffing without the peppers.

MC, after all this time, I think I have the terminology down that the Brits use. So I know what you are saying. But I do appreciate your effort to translate it all to U.S. terms. We do have several terms we use for a sheet pan. Jelly roll pan, cookie sheet with sides just to mention a couple. :angel:

Aunt Bea, I'd bake them first and then freeze, too. In fact I've done that quite a few times. They reheat nicely.

Chief, stuffed acorn squash is really good, too! I bet that would be great with your filling.

I haven't made stuffed peppers in a long time, as DW can't handle eating peppers anymore. But an idea hit me when I saw this thread. I love carne asada beef. I think for my next batch of stuffed peppers, I will lightly grill some beef over charcoal, to rare, just to get that great grilled flavor, then dice the meat, add minced hot peppers, a little cilantro, onion, and lime, and put it into the bell pepper. Maybe I'll make a little hat of tamale dough to top it and give that great, fresh corn tortilla taste to the dish. I will then bake the peppers until they are done.

So whadaya think? Will this fly? Of course this could be made with Anaheim peppers, or banana peppers as well.

Chief the flavor profile of green bell peppers opposed to red is remarkable to me. I'll bet your wife doesn't like the sharpness of the green.
Yes, the red is generally more expensive for good reason in my mind. I bet she would love your idea done with a red bell pepper.

Chief the flavor profile of green bell peppers opposed to red is remarkable to me. I'll bet your wife doesn't like the sharpness of the green.
Yes, the red is generally more expensive for good reason in my mind. I bet she would love your idea done with a red bell pepper.

She won't touch peppers of any kind, not even peppercorns. She states they bother her stomach. She doesn't mind the flavor of them. She also won't eat winter squash or cooked cabbage. I suspect she would turn up her nose at dolmas as well. She can be a hard lady to cook for. So when I want rutabaga, winter squash, sweet potatoes, any kind of peppers, or cabbage dishes, or something with cooked onion, unless its minced so that she can't tell it's in there, I have to make dinner for her, and dinner for me. She also won't eat dark meat. Try making turkey soup without incorporating dark meat. Sheesh.

My kids on the other hand will eat anything I put in front of them.

Oh, if Sprout ever comes back on DC, ask her about what she's learned about the science of bread making. She's an amazing girl.

Aunt Bea, I've frozen mine after they were baked first.

Chief, not trying to offend here, but if your DW is going to act a bit like a kid at the table not wanting to eat your good cooking, you'll have to feed her like one. When you make your filling for stuffed whatever for you, stuff a small casserole dish for her with the filling - before you add your onion. That way she can have basically the same supper you are, only without the unappealing "shell". Fix whatever easy veggie makes her happy, like canned corn or frozen peas.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom