How do you make your turkey?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:chef:I like brimming my Turkey 1/2 cup salt and 1 cup sugar add your spices and herbs but do not use garlic i tried it the whole smelled like a dead skunk. But in a pot of boiling water let cool until cold. Get a clean bucket you need one that food cane in put Turkey in bucket pour fixture over Turkey cover Turkey put plate over Turkey put brick on plate to hold Turkey down leave in bucket for 24 hrs wash Turkey off it you do not you will end up with a salty Turkey here is a recipe: Or you can use this one

Best Turkey Ever!! (Brined)
Ingredients

Best Turkey Ever!! Brined) Recipe - Food.com - 142563

The correct salt/water ratio for a brine is 1 cup KOSHER salt to one gallon of water. Since table salt is finer grained you will have a lot more salt in your brine than you need. Plus 24 hours is a very long time to brine a 15 pound turkey.

Additionally, most recipes call for half as much sugar as salt.

The correct salt/water ratio for a brine is 1 cup KOSHER salt to one gallon of water. Since table salt is finer grained you will have a lot more salt in your brine than you need. Plus 24 hours is a very long time to brine a 15 pound turkey.

Additionally, most recipes call for half as much sugar as salt.
No 1/2 cup Salt 1 cup Sugar

Season the bird with salt and pepper, stuff with a peeled onion and cover with streaky bacon. Roast in some water with a small amount of lemon juice. Delicious!

Using a new method this year

This year I bought the turkey deep fryer. Will see what happens. Usually I simply put it in the oven and periodically based with turkey or chicken soup.
This year I bought a masterbuilt turkey deep fryer and plan to try it. Usually I rub with olive oil use seasalt and ground pepper and use the safeway 2 hour turkey method. It always turns out brown and juicy inside.
:chef:

When brimming any kind of meat you always use KOSHER salt do not use table salt it is to fine:chef:

Your recipe specifide table salt, now you say kosher, so which is it?:ermm: That recipe also calls for way too much brown sugar, IMO.

Your recipe specifide table salt, now you say kosher, so which is it?:ermm: That recipe also calls for way too much brown sugar, IMO.
I heard of a different idea to try for Thanksgiving this year. Take a completely thawed turkey, season it & put it in a bed of fresh vegetables in a pan covered tightly with foil. Put in a pre-heated 500 degree oven for 1 hour, after the hour, turn the oven off & DO NOT open the oven for 4 hours. It looked good, tastey & moist. Maybe I will try it this way this year. Has anyone else ever heard of this method ?

One side of me is the "TV dinner" advocate side. Wash it off, preheat your dinner, rack it, stick a remote reading thermometer in its breast, take it out when it's done.

Total labor: washing it. Cleaning the pan when it's done.

Benefit: a whole bunch of turkey for dinner tonight and a zillion other uses including turkey crepes and turkey enchiladas.

simonbaker said:
I heard of a different idea to try for Thanksgiving this year. Take a completely thawed turkey, season it & put it in a bed of fresh vegetables in a pan covered tightly with foil. Put in a pre-heated 500 degree oven for 1 hour, after the hour, turn the oven off & DO NOT open the oven for 4 hours. It looked good, tastey & moist. Maybe I will try it this way this year. Has anyone else ever heard of this method ?

I saw that today too, on Food Network. Trisha Yearwood said that's how her mom does it, put her turkey in the oven at midnight, took it out in the morning.

Last edited:

It is similar to the Prime Rib Roast directions. :angel:

Speaking of turkey and thanksgiving day. What time do you usually start your branch/lunch or dinner?

Sunday...

I am making my stock for gravy and dressing today.

I plan on having the turkey or ham in the oven by 11 AM on Thursday.

Speaking of turkey and thanksgiving day. What time do you usually start your branch/lunch or dinner?

I plan dinner for early to mid-afternoon. However, you should know, my children and SO make bets on how late dinner will be.

I use either Alton Brown's brine from Good Eats or The Pioneer Woman's. I've used the Pioneer Woman's for the last couple of years and I think that it's my favorite, the drippings make amazing gravy!

I cook my stuffing on the side, I prefer it a little dryer, I don't really enjoy stuffing cooked in the bird. That's how my mom always did it though.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom