How long do spices last?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Dry spices will "last" forever. That is, they won't rot because they're dried. However, as time goes by, they lose potency. That can impact recipes if you don't compensate. If your spices are older, add a little extra and you should be OK.

There are some ground spices that change flavour with time. Fenugreek comes to mind. I find the smell of stale fenugreek to be nauseating. It's a regular ingredient in "curry powder". It took a while to figure out what it was about store bought curry powder that I found nauseating. But, freshly ground fenugreek doesn't have that smell, even if it is freshly ground from old seeds. I think cumin may do something similar. I find freshly ground or whole cumin to be a delightful spice. I'm not sure if it's stale cumin that I find objectionable in most commercial chili powder.

So, that's a consideration. While old, ground spices are safe to eat, they will fade in flavour and can develop some off flavours. Whole spices keep their flavours for much longer.

If you are talking about spices and not herbs. I'd say, spices unground in seed form will last much much longer, years longer than ground spices. If you have the option, keep them whole, and grind enough of them for a month or so.

Do you go by the smell test? How does a person know when it is time to throw it out?
No, I don´t go by the smell test, because some spices don´t "smell".
In general terms , it´s better to keep spices whole. If you´ve got the space, keep them in the fridge. If not, in a dark cupboard/closet.
In my experience, you could keep spices like that for about 2 years.
If you decide to use the spices in any dish, just dry roast them for a minute or so, then grind them.
What happens to spices that are old? They lose their natural oils, so the flavour is not as intense as it should be.

I agree that whole spices last longer. I try to remember to date my new spices so that i know their age.

I've never had to throw out a spice specifically due to how long I had it, but once my paprika had some kind of insects in it.

On occasion, sometimes the powdered spices can kinda clump up or develop a consistency problem, if not stored properly ( probably cause of moisture).

I always taste when I cook, so if after adding the required amount doesnt do the trick, ill add a little more until I'm satisfied.

I agree with all of the above, but I still hold on to a lot of spices longer than I should. Don't ask me why (lol), but when I think a spice has been around as long as it should be, I dump it in a large jar along with other spices past their prime and mixed together. I have done things like take a beef patty and coat the out side with the spice mix and fry. I love getting the different taste every time. I also have taken some of the spice mix and brown it in a frying pan just for the nice smell. (it works getting rid of onion/garlic smells, if they are too strong).

Back
Top Bottom