How many strawberries for coulis?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tsi88kid

Senior Cook
How many strawberrys do you think it would take to make about 4 tablespoons of coulis. Or what can I use to thin it out and get a little bit more out of the puree if I dont have the 4 tablespoons I need?

Well, mmm.... how many strawberries do you have is my first question.

I'd say thin it out with a simple syrup to stretch it.

well im going to be in a competion again and everyone will be using the strawberrys for fans, slices, and chopped probably so i want to go outside the box and use a coulis for garnish instead of the typical stuff so i can leave an impact on the judges. However I will only be getting whole strawberrys so i need to puree them. but im only gonna be make 3 leaves on the plate with the coulis that are less then an inch long.

BTW ill probably have 2 strawberrys

well puree the berries and thin with either corn syrup, or simple syrup depending on how thick, or runny you want it... and be sure to strain threw a fine sive or tamis.

1 cup fresh strawberries, rinsed and patted dry
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 tablespoons water
Hull and quarter the strawberries. Combine with the sugar and water in a food processor or blender, and mix in short pulses until smooth. Pour into an airtight container, and cover. Refrigerate for up to a day, or freeze for up to a month.

can adjust to your needs.

Are you going to make a leaf shape with the coulis? Is that what you are saying?

You can also make a large dot and take a clean toothpick and swipe through the middle of it - if it's thick enough it will make a heart shape. Just practice first. Before each swipe clean the toothpick.

yes im going to making the leaves out of coulis i will put up a picture tommorow of my idea.

Kitchenelf could you find a picture of the what it will look like after you swipe with the toothpick and post it?

thanks for the recipe to TATTRAT

I've looked for a picture and I'm not finding one. Make a large dot (maybe a half inch in diameter). Place toothpick firmly above dot and drag fairly quickly straight down through center and do not lift toothpick while dragging. Lift the toothpick only after you are through the dot. It should make a little indention at the top of the dot looking like the top of a heart. Then the toothpick drags some down for the bottom part of the heart. I've done this with creme anglaise as a base, dot with raspberry coulie but I don't know for sure how it would turn out on a "dry" plate.

ok i understand what you mean ill try it tommorow cause original i just carved hearts out of the strawberrys but didnt think it was cutting edge enough.

Even if it's different size strawberry coulis dots it would be better than the typical strawberry fans. Or a coulis drizzle - what is this for anyway? What dessert are you making?

ill post up a picture of an old idea i tried that im not using. it is a pastry creme filled rose shaped crepe with chocolate sauce.
l_a14fb9fcace655dcc2a681a26e137e6a.jpg

Again this is not how I am plating it anymore but that is how the roses that will be placed in the middle look.

It will be a simple chocolate sauce recipe i have to follow of 4 oz couverture chocolate and 1/4 cup water. And the roses will be filled with a creme anglaise ( pastry creme) basically same thing if the recipe I just look up is a true creme anglaise.

I want to bring the attention to the center of that plate and I have tried it with the roses off to the side and it just looks akward to me.

so go center plate, do a long vine with some oblong leaf shapes off to one side and garnish the other side with some macerated berries, shingling the dessert off of the berries. Clean and contemporary. I'll see if I can find an ol pic of a dessert crepe I used t do to show ya.

that is a great idea but i will only be allowed a certain amount or ingredients for crepes, pastry creme, chocolate, and strawberrys i will have nothing else.

Well, if you could put a dot of that anglaise down then put a smaller dot of the in the middle of that you could have a few hearts on 3 sides of the plate. Will you have enough creme anglaise to cover the bottom of the plate?...place creme anglaise on plate and swirl around. Place various size dots of coulis and chocolate around on the sides, swipe with toothpicks to make the heart shapes.

You could also, as you mentioned earlier, make an outline leaf shape or even a tear drop shape with the chocolate and fill it in with a bit of coulis from a squirt bottle.

Or different size circles all over the plate using all three of these sauces - OR -

Graduating dots arching down one side of the plate, alternating the sauces.

I'm just brainstorming so don't shoot me :angel:

Back
Top Bottom