How many tines do you prefer on your fork??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Katie, my Mom got those for us about 35 years ago! I especially like the pistol-handle knives. Easier to grab, especially since I've noticed a bit of Arthur hanging around my finger joints as I age...:ermm:

Functionally I never had a problem with it, but visually it throws me off. Usually I just stare at it and wonder " Why not just add the extra tine? "...
And then there are some of us who have thought "why does there need to be four when three work fine?" :LOL:

Mine look just like that.

A typical Colonial pattern. Paul Revere used that pattern quite often. But his more well known pattern is a squared of end. But most of his knives did have that pistol handle. And they didn't have salad forks at that time of history. :angel:

Last edited:
A typical Colonial pattern. Paul Revere used that pattern quite often. But his more well known pattern is a squared of end. But most of his knives did have that pistol handle. And they didn't have salad forks at that time of history. :angel:

The tines, not the handles. Though I do love the look of the pistol grip silverware.

The tines, not the handles. Though I do love the look of the pistol grip silverware.

Many years ago I was taken to a Colonial style restaurant where even the wait staff was dressed in the dress of the days. They used the tableware of then and the forks were three tines with pistol grip handle knives with the rounded end on the blade. But those knives were sharp. Sharp enough that you weren't served a steak knife of today. Even the furniture was of the age. You really got to experience living in the age of Colonial days.

When you walked in the door, you were given the choice of eating in the room with trestle tables and benches. There you sat on a long bench with strangers. We passed on that and ate in the main dinging room. Table cloths, cloth napkins and even finger bowls. Remember, in Colonial days, a lot of the food was eaten with the fingers. The fare on the menu was written in Colonial terms for the food. For some of it we needed a translator. And instead of the dollar sign, they had the pound sign. But you understood what it stood for. Aside from the standard American fare, you could also order meats of then I do remember venison was offered.

It was quite an experience. I would love to find a restaurant like that again. The closest you can come to it is at Plimouth Plantation at the Thanksgiving Feast. :angel:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom