How much are you willing to pay for a host??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I should shop, but I don't. It's is a writeoff after all. I get 2GB disk space, 20GB of data transfer, too many mail boxes and autoresponders to use. 24/7 tech support, site stats that are very detailed (key word matches, incoming links...) audio/video streams, forms (CGI), Frontpage extensions and I can change any or all of the content any time I want, when I want.

In the grand scheme of things, I think it is worth the extra few bucks for the support I get. Now if we were talking about something important like the cost of Rub in Texas.... :P

allie said:
I just have to say you guys don't seem to shop around very well for hosting. I just paid for a business site with domain name and everything I need for my own e commerce site for $65. That's a heck of a lot better than $20 a month (breaks down to a little over $5 a month)! It includes a mySQL database as well as many other features. And for those worried about credit cards, they even accept PayPal.

In future if anyone's looking for a hosting service, I'd be happy to share my source!
Sorry. I can beat that at $3.74. Anyone wanting a host, PM me and I'll send you the link so I can get the referral. LOL

Greg, for what it’s worth, if you decide to do this, down the road or whenever, I recommend a fully managed server so you can get some tech help. Rackspace for example is a solid fully managed server. There are many others too. Cheap server space is just that. As with anything else you get what you pay for. It sucks calling your servers tech support line and having them tell you they do not support this or that technical issue.

Just to address some other comments about what a forum on a paid server could offer there are hundreds of features that forums can have with the right software, bandwidth, and storage space. Some of these features are for the members and some for the administrators. Here is a list of over two hundred features you could add to an SMF forum.

http://mods.simplemachines.org/index.ph ... ch;type=0-

From there it gets better, you could expand the forum to a fully integrated website using added programs like Mambo, Tiny Portal, and others. BBQ 4 U could become a huge BBQ resource instead of just another place to hang out. Greg would have to learn how to do it or recruit someone how to do stuff like this who wants to be a part of it. Many of you say “leave it as it is, it’s good enoughâ€

zilla said:
Greg, for what it’s worth, if you decide to do this, down the road or whenever, I recommend a fully managed server so you can get some tech help. Rackspace for example is a solid fully managed server. There are many others too. Cheap server space is just that. As with anything else you get what you pay for. It sucks calling your servers tech support line and having them tell you they do not support this or that technical issue.

Just to address some other comments about what a forum on a paid server could offer there are hundreds of features that forums can have with the right software, bandwidth, and storage space. Some of these features are for the members and some for the administrators. Here is a list of over two hundred features you could add to an SMF forum.

http://mods.simplemachines.org/index.ph ... ch;type=0-

From there it gets better, you could expand the forum to a fully integrated website using added programs like Mambo, Tiny Portal, and others. BBQ 4 U could become a huge BBQ resource instead of just another place to hang out. Greg would have to learn how to do it or recruit someone how to do stuff like this who wants to be a part of it. Many of you say “leave it as it is, it’s good enoughâ€

I used to believe just like Zilla that we needed a website to go alomg with the forum so that we would be a complete bastion of BBQ knowledge. These thoughts where during the infancy of the board. I have since determined that we are already that place without the website.

You want to know what really changed my mind? Okay, I'll tell you.

I'll use one site as an example, but their are many I know of that the exact same thing happens.
I'll go on the record as saying that the Virtual Weber Bullet website (website, not forum) is the best one place to learn everything you ever wanted to know about using a WSM without every asking anyone a question. But, I will bet you that at least 75% of the people that are members of the forum might have glossed over it once and then never looked at it again. Every question that is asked on the forum about a technical issue of cooking with a WSM is already thoroughly answered on the website with text and pics (sometimes video). But the same questions keep getting asked and asked again. It makes me want to pull my hair out when I go to their forum these days.

Some places are better for somethings than other places are. This is a great forum for hanging out with your friends and learning anything you need to know about pretty much anything. Just ask a question and (like them or not) you will get answers.
Want to learn how to cook something, ask.
Want to know about mods on a Chargiller, ask.
Want to know about drywall or stucco, ask.
Everything you would want to know is here..... you just have to ask.

Best thing about this place is it's people... and they've all come here from sites just like I described. This is like the bar on "Cheers". You want a place where everybody knows you name.

So.... Hang out and have a beer with your buddies. [smilie=rlp_smilie_242.gif]

Finney said:
I used to believe just like Zilla that we needed a website to go alomg with the forum so that we would be a complete bastion of BBQ knowledge. These thoughts where during the infancy of the board. I have since determined that we are already that place without the website.

You want to know what really changed my mind? Okay, I'll tell you.

I'll use one site as an example, but their are many I know of that the exact same thing happens.
I'll go on the record as saying that the Virtual Weber Bullet website (website, not forum) is the best one place to learn everything you ever wanted to know about using a WSM without every asking anyone a question. But, I will bet you that at least 75% of the people that are members of the forum might have glossed over it once and then never looked at it again. Every question that is asked on the forum about a technical issue of cooking with a WSM is already thoroughly answered on the website with text and pics (sometimes video). But the same questions keep getting asked and asked again. It makes me want to pull my hair out when I go to their forum these days.

Some places are better for somethings than other places are. This is a great forum for hanging out with your friends and learning anything you need to know about pretty much anything. Just ask a question and (like them or not) you will get answers.
Want to learn how to cook something, ask.
Want to know about mods on a Chargiller, ask.
Want to know about drywall or stucco, ask.
Everything you would want to know is here..... you just have to ask.

Best thing about this place is it's people... and they've all come here from sites just like I described. This is like the bar on "Cheers". You want a place where everybody knows you name.

So.... Hang out and have a beer with your buddies. [smilie=rlp_smilie_242.gif]
It's got to be an imposter....ban him..... :twisted:
No seriously...he's right....nuff said

I too have longed for a section where techniques are explained.
It was talked about for a while last year. Without having to go
to the expense and the inherent danger of Greg learning new programs,
why cant we have a new FAQ section? Here we can post our fabulous
pictorials on how to use grills and smokers, and prep of specific foods.
I could see that section being referred to all over the net....lots of folks
would like to Griff's Griff Loaf recipe with pics, Larrys Smoked Turkey,
Bruce's competition chicken, etc....the bonus being able to ask questions and getting contrary and supporting opinions! Yeah, we do it anyway in other sections, but a FAQ section would serve as a better reference source.

That's a great idea, Cappy! I know I've spent a lot of time on here researching and digging through tons of post for things like Griff Loaf. (never did find the recipe, btw).

From experience, I have to also agree with Finney. People are more likely to come to the forum to ask a question than to research it. Les and I ran a tropical fish and cichlid website and forum for a couple of years. Our forum got tons of traffic but the website didn't get as much. We had lots of informative articles on getting started, what fish are compatible in a tank, etc. Great information but if no one wants to take the time to look for it, in the grand scheme of things it's just a lot of work for nothing.

I mostly agree with you Finney. Most folks will not take the time to have a look around before asking a question.

What I wanted to do is post a more detailed description of what a larger site has to offer for those here, who have never seen a good example of a highly designed site. I have no objection to an unchanged BBQ 4 U forum at all. I do think that a better forum software could serve us well. Some even have an "Ignore this member" feature. I bet that would be popular.

The only thing that this forum really needs to be more user friendly is for it to be Road-mapped. That would make a huge difference in finding info from the past and categorizing great threads.

Some Road-maps could be:
Classic threads
Building a fire
Smoker mods
Brining
Lump vs. Briquettes
How to piss off Bryan S while talking about Brining ;)
Klose vs....oh never mind :roll: ;)

Back
Top Bottom