How much does a whole deer cost....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kitchenelf

Chef Extraordinaire
that has been ground into hamburger and sausage?

Anyone have any idea? Does the neighborhood of $350.00 sound right?

Strange question I know, but I can't find the answer anywhere else - thanks!!

kitchenelf said:

No freakin way :!:

weird here... i think if you hit the deer you get it free if you want it.
as long as it's reported to the authorities. but to buy it from a meat market... i have no idea.

Someone is claiming it in an insurance claim - but yes, you do get to keep it if you hit one here - and don't even have to report it. :? yuck

Thanks bangbang.

lol - no, I didn't get one - I just have to know if what the people say they paid for it is correct - and they say they paid $350.00 for a deer that has been ground up into hamburger and made into sausage. But even if they did it themselves I need to know how much it would cost them to buy it to replace it.

kitchenelf said:

Ask the butcher? It would depend on their time I suppose.

This is one of those mystery questions ... that doesn't have enough facts to really support a good answer .. and enough blank spots to make me wonder. Kind of like, "one car leaves city A and another car leaves city B 30 minutes later ... when will they meet up?"

This sounds like an insurance claim ...

Replacement cost? How many pounds of venison? Commercially farm raised ground venison goes for about $6.98/lb - cubed for chili or stew for about $8.95/lb ... sausage falls inbetween. Of course, commercial kitchens get it cheaper. The source I use, on a bad year, is www.brokenarrowranch.com - several store around me carry their products for about $2/lb more than I can buy it direct.

A deer taken to a processor (butcher) by a hunter will cost about $45-$75 for processing. Generally, that runs around $1-$2 per pound of meat. An 80-pound deer may only produce 35-lbs of meat after processing.

Another thing to consider are the game laws of your state. It is illegal for a hunter to sell "game animal" meat he has hunted, and it is also illegal to buy such meat from a hunter, in all the states that I know. A hunter can, however, donate the meat to a not-for-profit charity to feed the needy. Thus, if a person claims they paid a hunter $350 for a whole deer that they had processed into ground meat/sausage and for some reason it spoiled and they are trying to recoup the cost ... like on a home owners policy because the electricity went out and they lost everything in the freezer ... the insurance company would not be liable because it was an illegal purchase.

Of course .. having said all that ... I'm sure you will now "drop the other shoe" and make everything I said irrelevant.

Yes, insurance claim is correct. I don't know where they obtained the meat from originally - I guess my question is if they were to legally buy it to replace from "some" source to replace what they lost how much would it be for an average size deer - average dollar.

But what you told me is very helpful. And now I'm going to bed!!! I'm done with this claim until tomorrow.

1 deer. Ok! In the state of Kansas it costs $18 for a residental fishing license and for an extra $3 you can have a hunting license. So how much does a deer cost?, $3 plus the price of the bullet... about .5 cents.

OK, a coulpe of years ago hubby saw someone hit a deer in front of the place he works & the only damage done to the deer was all 4 legs broken. It wasn't deer season so he called DNR(Dept. of Natural Resources) & the guy told him to shoot it & have it processed. A DNR officer came out & got there before hubby had a chance to shoot the animal & took care of that part for him & gave him a card for a guy that would process it(he also signed the card & put his phone # on it if the processor had any questions). You have to be very careful doing this though, if it's not deer season & you take one in to be processed, the processor can & most likely will call DNR & your butt could be sittin' in jail, to avoid this, make sure you call DNR brfore hand & they will check everything out & keep you out of trouble. Anyway, hubby had the deer processed & it was only about $50. We got hamburger, cubed steaks, roast, & I don't remember what else. It was the best deer meat that I have ever had because it was a fairly young doe.

Something about this "whole deer ground into hamburger and sausage" thing keeps making the "Danger Will Robinson" thing go off in the back of my mind. I've never known any hunter that ever did that.

If the meat had been purchased from a commercial "farm raised and processed" entity - it would have been in pounds - with a $ per pound rate. The person should know how many pounds they purchased, and what they paid for it.

If the person was a hunter who harvested and had the deer processed - they should know how many pounds they got. They would also have a game report card and an authorization number to possess it - in accordance with NC game laws.

If they received the meat as a gift from a hunter ... they should have some ideas as to how many pounds it was. They would, by NC law, have to retain in writing the name and contact info for the hunter that "gave" it to them for as long as they were in possession of any of the meat.

If they purchased the meat from a hunter - there are 3 crimes ... selling it, buying it, and possessing it. In this case the insurance company would be no more liable to pay off than if they had purchased a stolen car and it got stolen from them.

The question of how much a deer weighs is not that simple. How much does a human weigh? To guage the average weight of a deer you need to know the relative age, sex, when harvested, and in which county. With that info - you can go to http://www.wildlife.state.nc.us/index.htm and contact a Wildlife Service Agent for the appropriate county and get an average weight for the deer harvested in that area - he/she can also probably help you guage the approximate yield (lbs of meat). If the person obtained the meat legally, they could provide all of this information.

Commercially farm raised and processed ground venison can go from $5-$7 per pound retail. But, your still missing the answer to the big question ... how many pounds?

We've got some venison in the freezer right now, chops and sausage.

A note about venison sausage. The stuff we get is from family that processes their own deer. It's usually made from the lesser cuts, and has a fair amount of fat, usually pork fat for us, added in since venison is a pretty lean meat that makes lousy sausage without it (but darned fine jerky!)

Odds are any venison sausage someone has isn't 100% venison.

John

Absolutely true, ronjohn!

When dressing out the animal, considerable care would be taken to eliminate all of the very tallowy fat present, and to replace these with about 40% pork fat, by volume...

Would definitely include the "lesser cuts", but sometimes all the animal except rosts and prime steaks...

We used to call the "Bambi's" "sausage makers", as that was about all the youngest were good for...

For Canada, the situation is identical to that represented by others in the USA...sale of game meat is expressedly forbidden...granted you can receive same as a "gift" from a licensed hunter...outside, again, as has been said, of "commercially raised" deer...

Lifter

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom