How not to do it

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh gosh, that nakiri has got to be wrecked! I thought the "instructor" was going to lose a finger herself at about 2:13.

Chef Rick has the same crummy knives my mom has.

good greif:glare:
both those guys with the steels should be flogged with them.
.........FAIL

the lady...lol, she should show the edge of that "cleaver" I bet it's chipped

........EPIC FAIL

just goes to show that any fool can post a vid:dry:

I must admit, I chipped/ dented my cleaver trying to open a coconut. Cant say it was the brightest thing I did, but at least I had the common sense not to post it on the internet claiming I knew what I was doing:LOL: . I ultimately resorted to the hammer, which worked like a charm.

Francisco Cordrero (The 4-Minute Chef) is a crack-up! At first I thought it was serious, like the self-taught morons in the other videos, and was getting all huffy, then I nearly wet myself laughing!

Another "frack"tard for the hall of shame...:bangin:

watch

That's why they call it a "French knife"? Are the French two inches wide and susceptible to damaging their knuckles when they mistake their cutting board for a punching bag? Also, that guy must be huge. He makes a 10-inch knife look like an 8-inch knife that he only claims is a 10-inch knife.

What the frig was he doing to that poor knife? lol
It looks exactly like one of my cheap-o Farberware knives, but they still don't deserve that kind of shabby treatment. I'm not sure he understands what a steel is, but at least he didn't refer to it as "honing." Still, who puts a dry stone on a cutting board? Honestly!

I'm interested in testing my skills with a butter knife and a banana. I'll report back with my results.

Update: Ow! My knuckles!

Last edited:
That's why they call it a "French knife"? Are the French two inches wide and susceptible to damaging their knuckles when they mistake their cutting board for a punching bag? Also, that guy must be huge. He makes a 10-inch knife look like an 8-inch knife that he claims is a 10-inch knife.

The 16" knife looked more like 12". I think he was talking overall length, at least with that one. :rolleyes:

Buzz

"You want to hit you knuckles with every stroke" - NO! - that's called chasing your fingers and is a very good way to stain the cutting board red. What you want to do is to have the blade always resting on the knuckle.

As for the speed cutting, Chef's knives are specifically designed so that you use the widest part of the blade near the heel of the knife to cut like that specifically so that the edge cannot raise above the level of the knuckle, not the tip like he was. And how about instead of hyperextending your thumb to hold a whole cucumber why not cut the bloody thing in half and use a nice safe comfortable grip.

Plus he doesn't know the difference between a French Chef's knife and a German Chef's knife - French round bolster, small belly; German Squared bolster, large belly. Kind of like heads, if it's small and round it's french and if it's Big and Square it's German.

I'd rather take lessons from the Swedish Chef from the muppets.

I thought the difference between French and German knives was the blade profile where the former is narrower and more angular and the latter broader, thicker, and with a more pronounced belly.

http://img230.imageshack.us/my.php?image=swedishchefnr1.jpg
I thought the difference between French and German knives was the blade profile where the former is narrower and more angular and the latter broader, thicker, and with a more pronounced belly.

True, but the bolster is the quick glance give away for traditionally forged knives. PS I'm talking knife design not knife origin so you can get "French" knives from German makers and vice versa.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom