How to alter Chocolate Ribbon Torte?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Janet H

Certifiable Executive Chef
Staff member
Each year I am responsible for making some awesome cake for my friends B-day bash. She throws herself a party (sit down dinner) and invites about 20 people. I bring the cake.

This year she has specifically requested the Chocolate Ribbon Cake that has been featured in Bon Appetite Magazine several times. I have never made it and need to do a test bake, but the original cake recipe makes three 9 inch rounds and I believe it will not be a large enough cake.

Here is the recipe Spiced Chocolate Torte Wrapped in Chocolate Ribbons: Recipe : bonappetit.com

How big does a cake need to be to serve 20 ~ folks?
Any recommendations to up-size this one?

mare_spiced_chocolate_torte_wrapped_in_chocolate_ribbons_h.jpg

Twenty if they are all like me. I would say that if the cake is for after or with the sit down meal one would be enough so I would make two:)

Janet, you have to remember one thing - this is a very rich cake and it is three layers, where most are only two. So, you don't need that much more to make it work.

What I would do is make 1 1/2 batches and either make 4 layers then cut thin slices, or, if you can find 10 inch pans (too bad we don't live closer you could use mine) divide the batter between three of them.

Remember if you are putting more batter into the pans and/or using larger pans, to adjust your time accordingly. If you got a 10 x 3 inch wedding cake pan and then sliced it into three layers, you should decrease your heat to 325 and cook it longer so the center is cooked and the outside is not dry.

Hope this helps!

This helps a lot! I have some 10 inch pans and would like to keep the 3 layer format so that should work. Will a 10 inch version be big enough for 20 (maybe a couple more) folks?

Has any one ever tried this cake? Any tips?

Like I said before, this is a very rich, dense, and taller cake. A ten inch should be totally adequate for 20 (or a few more people) I will find my portion guide for you.

I have not made this particular cake, but can help you with the decorating part as I have done those steps countless times.

You should have fun with this one!

Don"t try this at home

SO an update... The big day is in a week or so and this cake has me spooked. I have an informal potluck get together to attend tonight and so I thought I'd try a test baking and see how everything worked. I figired I'd make the buttercream and glaze but forego the ribbons for the test.

Sounds reasonable - yes? Not even a little!

I thought long and hard before doing this because this is an expensive cake to make. - Check out the ingredient list and start adding...

Assembly of the batter took an hour start to finish. Nut chopping, measuring, pan prepping, egg separating, etc it took forever. I had the bowls washed up by the time it was cooked. It looked a bit dry to me (baked yesterday) but I pressed on today with buttercream.

The recipe calls for whipping egg yolks and adding hot sugar syrup and other ingredients then whipping for 5 mins more.

Disaster 1: I did not have enough eggs after finding bloody yolks in three of the 6 eggs I had left in the house (remember the cake takes 8). Off to the store.

Disaster 2: the recipe calls for you to have the sugar syrup hot and the chocolate melted... so I melted the VERY EXPENSIVE chocolate (6 oz). All good. Except I hooked the pan handle in my sleeve and launched it across the kitchen - chocolate everywhere. Melt another 4 bucks worth of chocolate.

Disaster 3. Did you know that you can make spun sugar in a kitchenaid? I proved it today. It seems that when they tell you to whip the egg yolks till yellow ribbon forms, they intended that you do it with a paddle - not the wire whip. As I poured the hot sugar into the running mixer (as recommended) the whip caught it up and made perfect spun sugar - just above the egg yolks. Instantly hard - there was no way to recover or scrape it down....

Disaster 4: Now I'm in the weeds. I'm late. I have stuff to do and an un-iced, possibly dry, very expensive cake. I have already promised the crowd tonight a chocolate cake. ... So I decide to make up a traditional (uncooked) buttercream. I am in a hurry. Question: what happens when you pour powdered sugar in to a mixer and turn on the paddle too fast? Yup - everywhere!!

Sigh....

Stay tuned - for the tasting results....

Janet, I could feel the agony growing inside me as I read your post. When I have days like that I want to throw large heavy things through windows and doors. If humans are near they know to "run an errand" for a couple of hours.

On a positive note, you've screwed up every way possible ( Ooops, I mean 'gained a lot of experience') and the cake should turn out great!

P.S. You should probably take some time before the big event to screw up the ribbons...

...just to be on the safe side.

P.S. You should probably take some time before the big event to screw up the ribbons...

...just to be on the safe side.

Yeah - I also came to that conclusion today... but first I am going to taste this cake tonight and decide if it's worth the trouble. I can make a killer chocolate cake from a known recipe and still decorate it with ribbons. She may just love the pic??

I think I would plan to be out of town on the big night!

I would also think about only making one cake. Round it out with some very nice berries and whipped cream.

I hate hate when I have episodes like that in the kitchen ... and the more in a hurry I get trying to fix one disaster the quicker another one pops up. I'm surprised the paint hasn't peeled off the cupboards with the language I've been known to use in my kitchen. :angel:

But, there's a reason you did a test run! All the bugs have presented themselves so you know how to prevent them for the real deal. Best of luck to ya. =)

Janet, I feel your pain. I've noted all your "disasters" and will set out to find the solution.

Did I tell you about the lemon wedding cake that I made over and over? One batch called for 2 cups of lemon juice (must be fresh) and the four tiers required about 15 batches.....successful ones. I swear I squeezed about 7 trees worth of lemons and ended up ditching the bottom tier as it just would not cook evenly. The fourth tier as actually an add-on after my quote and since the groom's family were very dear friends and I was helping them out, I didn't bother charging them and I figured out that as far as serving quantity went, it wasn't needed. Well, the cake was done, one of my best decorating jobs I had done and on the way to the venue my husband to a corner too tight and knocked over the top of the cake. I had to redo the fondant on this and redecorate both top tiers. Then a week later the bride informs me that she was unhappy with the cake, that several people said it was dry (I would have believed it if they had said undercooked). So, I gave her the money back.

We will get this one fixed up in no time. Let us know how the prototype went over tonight!

A 10" cake is actually 23.45% larger than a 9" cake of the same thickness.

The original recipe, which is for three 9" layers, says it serves 12 to 14; if you were to increase the batter sufficiently to make three 10" layers of the same thickness as the 9" layers, you could get about 15 to 17 servings.

Scotch, your figures are correct; however, I was basing my calculations on the fact I have been making cakes for years and a dense and tall cake like this people will eat a smaller piece of.

Janet H, what a hilarious account! Fit for an "I Love Lucy" episode! You have a real talent!

Ah...another Alumni of the Wile E. Coyote School of Cake Making! There are not many of us who graduate!

So sorry, Janet! But, by rights...Murphy should have moved on by now. Hugs!!

Now for the tasting report:

12 folks tasted and the comments ranged from oh yum to pass the bin please...

My personal take on this cake is that the cake is a very dry and the flavors are very intense, the buttercream is tooo much and overall I don't like it. Sad, becuse I generally LOVE cake. The clove, cinnamon and nutmeg are very present and with the nuts it's a bit like a chocolate flavored fruitcake... but without the fruit. it's waay to sweet.

I am seriously thinking of changing gears on this and making the same cake but instead of chocolate butter cream making a prune/dried cherry/lemon-y puree to go inside. It would add moisture and some relief from the sweet. Any suggestions at this point are welcome...

Janet, I am glad you love cake because I love your cake experiences!

What I would try is rehydrating some chopped prunes, apricots, cherries, etc. in a warm water/sherry or brandy (if you like) mixture over a low heat. Just let the fruit soften but not break apart. mix some cornstarch in lemon juice, add some of the warm fruit liquid and then add all to the pot. Stir until thick. You can add some lemon zest as well to heighten the flavours of the fruit. If it is too thick once the starch is cooked in, add a bit more water. If it is too thin, add a very small amount of starch.

Also, when your cakes come out of the oven, poke tiny holes in them with a skewer or fork and spread warmed apricot jam over them. This will help to moisten them and add a layer of flavour. Don't leave a thick layer of jam over the top, just spread it into the cake.

Back
Top Bottom