How to Cook Lobster Tails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MoReese

Cook
I have purchased frozen lobster tails and looked online for the best way to cook it only to find vastly different ideas.

Is it best to cook from frozen or thawed?

Is cooking it piggy-backed really any better than in the shell?

It seems that steaming allows one to monitor the internal temp better than baking in foil. Please assume that's in the form of a question.

I appreciate any help. Thanks in advance.

Off the top of my head, I'd thaw them first then steam them.

If you want baked stuffed tails, thaw then stuff and bake.

I thaw. I split each tail. They will remain attached if you do not force your knife all the way through. I release the meat from the shell and return it to the shell.
I season them with salt and pepper and just a touch of my homemade creole spice rub.
I rub a little softened butter first before the spices.
I put them under a very hot broiler and cook until just done. I don't measure temperature so I cannot tell you what it should be. But the meat will start to pull away from the shell and thats when they are removed and sloshed with more melted butter.

Serve with small forks and butter for dipping.

Piggy back = like Roll_Bones described. Cut the tail down the back & pull the meat out (don't cut the attached small end off of the shell) to sit on top of the shell. Looks pretty, gives a nice presentation, but cooks the meat nicely under the broiler too. Quick!

You mean like this?

Attachments

• split lobster tails.jpg
    split lobster tails.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 68
Last time I cooked them they were frozen, so I thawed them and popped them in the oven for about 5 minutes or so. Just a poke or two told me they were ready.

It really depends on how you plan to cook them, i.e. on the grill over charcoal, steamed, boiled, baked, or broiled. I have cooked them both with the back of the shell cut from one end, to the other (kitchen shears work great for this, much easier than using a knife), and the same, but cutting the belly side. Use a spoon to separate the meat from the shell, letting it sit on top of the slit. If you desire, you can stuff the shell with a forcemeat of shredded crab, or minced shrimp. Rub the lobster meat, and stuffing with a compound butter flavored with a little Old Bay, and garlic, or just plain butter.

If cooking over charcoal, cook uncut shell side down, until the lobster meat just turns white, and loses its translucent look. The shell will turn red. Over-cooking will make it tough, chewy, and dry.

If cooking under the broiler, cook the forcemeat/stuffing, if using, separately. Place the lobster under the broiler, and cook again until the meat is white, and the shell turns red.

If steaming, bring the water to a rolling boil Place lobster tails into the steamer over medium heat. Cover, and steam for about 7 minutes. Check the lobster tails. If the meat is white, and the shell is red, they are done.

Some people boil their lobster tails. If this is done, you have to add enough salt to the water to make it taste like the sea. Otherwise, you lose a good bit of flavor. Boiling is quick, again only 7 minutes or so.

It's best not to rely on time, but rather to recognize what fully cooked lobster meat looks like, as cooking time will vary with the size of the lobster tails, and whether the tails are stuffed.

I food this video, and it's pretty informative. This guy is doing it right. Of course you can change up the flavors in your herbed butter: https://www.google.com/search?q=youtube+charcoal+grilled+lobster+tails&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS893US893&oq=youtube+charcoal+grilled+lobster+tails&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i64.22286j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#kpvalbx=_zTolYcjVEKCz0PEPzoSRoA438

If you want to get fancy, for stuffed lobster, there is this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zARE-wcdyKE

I hope this answers your questions about cooking lobster tais.:D

Just remember, when in doubt, use an instant read thermometer, lookin for internal temp 0f 137, to 140' F, in thickes meat portion.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I generally "piggyback" them to expose the meat, and put them on the grill. I like that little bit of crispy char.

CD

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom