How to cook red onions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi again all. I took out a portion of the foods out of my food regimen that I have been eating for years every day including raw chopped red onion(not the whole union) because that was causing me to get acid reflex or reflux as well as other things causing that outside of what I was eating. I don't have it anymore after taking the acidic foods out but I saw on the net that if I have onions with my food, cooking it will make it not acidic or less acidic Wich Is why I am posting this. I added red onion a while ago to my food regimen just for the health benefit of having it be good for blood or blood flow in my body. Mabey instead of having red uncooked unions every day, maybe once or twice a week and less of it as another option but really, I don't have a clue.

I eat them raw and cooked. I use onions of all kinds in dishes I make.
I especially like raw red onion in salsas and salads.
Onion to me is like gold. I love them.
But I too have acid reflux. I should say I had acid reflux. I take one 40mg of amaprazole (spelling?) every morning. No more heartburn for me.
Ask your doctor. I would not give up onions in any form when I can control the reflux easily and so can you.

Cook red onion as you would cook any onion, depending on your dish, either sauté, or if it is soup, cook it in the soup. Not sure if this is what you are asking.

yes, cooking the onions, whether red, yellow, green etc. will help.

I too have acid reflux, been taking Pantaprazole for years. It is a great help but I do still have discomfort when eating raw onions. I'm always very aware of how much raw onion I take in.

The 'prazole' family of drugs (there are alot out there) help with stomach issues but often the onions create the discomfort from the small intestine.

If you have acid reflux and are unwilling to stop eating high fat foods, you can take medications and as with most medications, there are long term side effects.

I don't have acid reflux but my husband did.
It was so bad that he'd throw up due to so much acid. He bought tums to counteract the acid, eating a dozen a day, and this went on for years. He tried the medications available and still had acid reflux. He stopped eating after 5 at night, but had it during the day. You can move your mattress so it keeps you at an angle with your head up at night.

When he gave up high fat foods, meaning, all refined oils and butter, meats and dairy and eggs, within weeks the acid reflux was gone. He increased his fiber by eating plant food and lots of it. Grains, legumes, vegetables, fruits, minimal seeds and nuts.

Instead of eating a dozen tums a day he would only need one or two.
As time went on, he stopped using them. He still will have one only once or twice a year now, for about 3 years.
He can now eat a late meal if he wants to. He sleeps better and hasn't thrown up in years. He still drinks diet soda. I wish he would stop. Nothing is perfect. He loves the food we eat now and he enjoys a renewed sense of well being. No acid reflux and a large variety of foods.

Wow, that's great bliss! I'm impressed by him and very happy for him. I only had 2 or 3 attacks that dropped me to the floor from certain foods - finally arrowed bananas, tomatoes and avocadoes to the list. The 3 worst ones for me. I have not headed for bed and moaned in about 10 years now.
After 40 years I started testing bananas and tomatoes again. OK as long as I only have maybe 1 or max 2 per week. Still haven't had the nerve to try avocadoes yet.

My acid reflux is due 'mostly' from a constant drip of bile into my tummy. Gall bladder was removed many moons and seasons ago. No where to store it now, so in it drips, non-stop.

Yeah, certain foods contributed to it as it was very difficult for me to control not knowing what nor why it was actually happening.

Funny how it affects different people. A friend had hers removed about the same time I did.. and after there were several foods she could eat but I could not and vice-versa.

So one thing we like to do with red onion is cut in sliced rings,sauteed until soft in butter, then some red wine vinegar put in.

Serve over mangu'.

=> Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F.
=> Peel the onion, slice it into ¼-inch thick slices, and separate the slices into rings.
=> Spread the onion rings in a glass baking dish. Add the olive oil and toss to coat. Sprinkle the onion rings with salt.
=> Roast the onions, stirring once halfway through roasting, until soft and caramelized, about 20 minutes.

Then it is ready to eat.

INGREDIENTS
=> 1 large red onion
=> 2 tablespoons olive oil
=> ½ teaspoon Diamond Crystal kosher salt or ¼ teaspoon of fine salt.

Back
Top Bottom