How to eliminate maple flavor?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ejazz22

Assistant Cook
I made a kettle of soup with some bacon that I had leftover from a previous meal, not realizing it had maple flavor. Now my soup tastes like syrup. What can I add to cancel out some of that flavor?

First it depends on what type of soup you made. Sweet is a hard flavour to hide but depending on the base, citrus of some kind might help.

Enjoy the unexpected taste :)
I seem to remember doing that not so long ago. It wasn't the flavor profile I was going for, but all in all it added a *little something* to the soup. Ahh yes, it was a hambone my father had given me and I used in split pea soup. I used it not knowing the glaze was maple. I remember now. I just sucked it up and ate it rather than trying to mask the flavor. It wasn't too bad...

It's not really sweet that we want to counter. It's more the caramel type flavor of the maple. And that might be approached something like it's done in brewing where maple or caramel notes intrude. The generally calls for a bitter tartness. Perhaps orange zest or lemon zest. Maybe a real hoppy beer. Somehow my instinct is to try coffee.

It's a creamy wild rice soup with potato and cheese - thanks for the suggestions!

Gee. I'm sorry. Somehow, that sounds like maybe the worst possible soup to be afflicted with maple taste.

You could curry it. Lots of curry have a sweetness to them. Maybe take a cup or so out and try adding a bit of curry and if it tastes good spice the whole lot.

Huh. That sounds like a tough one to work with. I don't think I'd add any citrus to a creamy soup like that. What about toasting some rice and then adding it to the soup to add a bit of an earthy, nutty flavor to the soup? That might make you notice the maple a bit less.

Alix said:
Huh. That sounds like a tough one to work with. I don't think I'd add any citrus to a creamy soup like that. What about toasting some rice and then adding it to the soup to add a bit of an earthy, nutty flavor to the soup? That might make you notice the maple a bit less.

Or...add brown rice. That would give that earthy, nutty taste?????

Alix, I didn't' know the base of the soup was cream when I suggested citrus. I really don't think much will solve the problem unfortunately.

Alix, I didn't' know the base of the soup was cream when I suggested citrus. I really don't think much will solve the problem unfortunately.

I know you didn't, that wasn't posted til later. I just thought I'd better clarify that citrus and cream are not a fun combo!

Hmm. Maybe more potato (flakes) and cheese, some more onion, garlic and regular bacon, milk or broth. Diluting as much as possible.

I've used a maple ham bone in split pea soup, and we liked it.

Last edited:
You could curry it. Lots of curry have a sweetness to them. Maybe take a cup or so out and try adding a bit of curry and if it tastes good spice the whole lot.
I'm not as young as i was, Snip (who is?) and my eyesight is failing. I thought that instead of saying "curry it", you had written "bury it", and I was all ready to post a +1! :)

I'm not as young as i was, Snip (who is?) and my eyesight is failing. I thought that instead of saying "curry it", you had written "bury it", and I was all ready to post a +1! :)

:ROFLMAO: Oh my word! I'm actually crying from laughter.

P.S Note the bold print, just incase you haven't got your glasses on and because the tears are fogging up my glasses :ROFLMAO:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom