How to make Canadian Bacon Part 1

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wittdog

Master Chef
It’s fall in upstate NY and a young man’s mind turns to matters of sausage making and curing meats. This is the first part in a three part series on how to make Canadian and Peameal Bacon. Canadian Bacon (also called “back bacon“) is made from pork loins that have been cured and then smoked. Peameal bacon is just cured (not smoked) and then rolled in cornmeal and fried.

The first step is to trim the loins. The second is to mix the brine and inject the loins. The third step is to let them cure for 5 days. I prefer to inject my cure as opposed to doing a dry cure*. I have found that I get better results by making a wet cure and injecting the meat and then brining them. This is a matter of preference and by all means try different methods and see what works for you. You should have a food grade bucket if you plan on doing a wet brine. Over the course of the five days we will move the loins around so that they are not touching and will brine evenly. The next part of our series will cover the smoking of the loins.

*dry cure-- mix the cure and salt and then coat the loins with honey and let them make their own brine.
<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/uM-knAOkuGU"> </param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/uM-knAOkuGU" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"> </embed> </object>

Good job! Camera Girl did good too.
JB wants to know what those things on your hands were? Don't have them in La.
My Doc used a gun like that on me once.....it had soapy water in it.

Excellent job witt. I cleaned the freezer yesterday to make room for some halibut my brother-in-law brought me and noticed that I am getting low on bacon, both Canuk and buckboard. It looks like bacon makin' will be in my future as well. Thanks again for the excellent and informative vid.

Great video Dave.
I've made peameal bacon a few times (Oompappy's recipe).
It called for smoking. Am I missing something here?

Puff said:
Great video Dave.
Oompappy's is a combination of the traditional peameal and canadian...

Hey Dog I learned a lot there man and may have to try this one day. Plus I have a Batman Mask like yer son and may try that to improve my cooking too.

Great work man and Thanks
peace

Mike Hedrick said:
Hey Dog I learned a lot there man and may have to try this one day. Plus I have a Batman Mask like yer son and may try that to improve my cooking too.

peace

The mask will help the videos. :shock: :shock:
Sorry, the devel made me say it. :D :D :D
Mike, I like your vids, Boy

Rag said:
Mike Hedrick said:

peace

The mask will help the videos. :shock: :shock:
Sorry, the devel made me say it. :D :D :D
Mike, I like your vids, Boy

That's it!
Next video gets the batman mask just for you man.
Don't hate me cus I'm pretty...there are plenty of other reasons.
Bwhahahaha!

peace

wittdog said:
Puff said:
Great video Dave.
Oompappy's is a combination of the traditional peameal and canadian...
Thanks ;)

How is our loin coming?
Is Batman moving them around in that bucket daily? I just got an extra frig for may back porch so I have space to brine and hold more cold stuff.

I AM Paying Attention Boy.
Thanks again for sharing

Mike Hedrick said:
How is our loin coming?
Is Batman moving them around in that bucket daily? I just got an extra frig for may back porch so I have space to brine and hold more cold stuff.

I AM Paying Attention Boy.
Thanks again for sharing
No your not paying attention! BOY. :LOL: Takes 5 days in the cure. I'll do the math for ya, 3 more days to go. :roll: :LOL: Dave started the 14th That means the 19th will be 5 days. ;)

Yeah but we should be turning the meat and such each day I remember.
Pay Attention Boy!

lol

Dave you better sea a docter about the skin on you hands Boy, It looks like you sheddin :LOL:

In the pit boss's defence, You did tell him to drop the measuring cup in the bucket... :roll:

Dave, nice job..whats the purpose of the cornmeal around the peabacon ?

Back
Top Bottom