How to make non spicy healthy mustard or at least very little spice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So I did my first taste test, and it really is remarkable how the taste changes over time. Im guessing a few years ago, at my first attempt to make mustard, I didnt let it sit which is why I hated it and just tossed it.

at the consistency could be a little creamier, but thats a personal preference and an easy fix. Also, I like mine a little more tangy. I compared it to the store bought I have in the fridge, and theirs is tangier. Another personal preference and easy fix ( just add a little more vinegar).

All in all, Im pretty happy with the results and will make again.

So I did my first taste test, and it really is remarkable how the taste changes over time. Im guessing a few years ago, at my first attempt to make mustard, I didnt let it sit which is why I hated it and just tossed it.

at the consistency could be a little creamier, but thats a personal preference and an easy fix. Also, I like mine a little more tangy. I compared it to the store bought I have in the fridge, and theirs is tangier. Another personal preference and easy fix ( just add a little more vinegar).

All in all, Im pretty happy with the results and will make again.

YAY!

I'm so glad that worked well for you.

I also make yellow mustard, like a hot dog mustard. I used this recipe. My son uses it mostly. At first he was afraid it wouldn't be like store bought but now that's all he uses. FOOD PRESERVING: Yellow Mustard

Some of my friends make a whole grain mustard and gift those at christmas time. I haven't done that yet.

Does the yellow mustard also have to sit for a week+ before it develops its final flavor? Or is it good once it cools ?

I am not sure about the yellow mustard but I'd guess it should sit a week and this is why.

The whole grain mustard they recommend letting it sit 6-8 weeks, so the more whole grain you use, the longer the resting time.

The yellow mustard is made from all ground mustard but I know, just adding water or vinegar to yellow mustard and eating it immediately, hot and not very tasty.

Does the yellow mustard also have to sit for a week+ before it develops its final flavor? Or is it good once it cools ?
The article I posted above has information on the chemistry of different types of mustard, as well as recipes. It's worth a read.

https://www.seriouseats.com/mustard-manual-guide

IN THIS ARTICLE

Yellow Mustard

Honey Mustard

Spicy Brown Mustard

Dijon Mustard

Whole Grain Mustard

Hot Mustard

English Mustard

German Mustard

Beer & Spirit Mustards

Last edited:
I make mustard in very small batches, since it loses its bite over time. My coarse ground has 1T yellow seeds, 1T brown seeds, 2T apple cider vinegar, 2T white wine. Soak for 2 days, then use the immersion blender till it's thick, but still has lots of seeds. Add a pinch of salt and dark brown sugar. Cure for a week. It has a kick.

Attachments

• 9059983E-9A8D-4AD8-A266-25E1A9861ACA.jpg
    9059983E-9A8D-4AD8-A266-25E1A9861ACA.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
I'm down to my last jar of dijon mustard that I made from Chef John's recipe. I'll probably double the recipe and can it all since that seems to work well for my needs. I use it a lot, just as a mustard, but also as a mustard sauce (added vinegar, sometimes tahini sauce). A thin mustard sauce makes a good salad dressing for me.

I canned 11 pints of dijon (remember to use 4 oz jars-per safe recipes), and 4.5 8-oz jars of yellow mustard yesterday. I'm glad to have that on the shelf in the pantry.

Another forum had a mustard challenge and we made several recipes, 3 of which we really liked. A German sweet hot mustard, a blackberry mustard that was great with poultry and pork, and a Chinese OMG, slap you up side the head, clear out your sinuses, Nic Cage Ghost Rider character for several hours after it's made but then calms down to a normal Chinese mustard flavor.

I have to find a mustard specialty shop somewhere. I know there is one near Ottawa, but that's a little far.
and I'm not going to make jars of something I'll never eat after the first taste.

That blackberry sounds great. I've made jalapeño mustard before, which is great with sandwiches and sausages.
Recipe posted

Chinese Mustard always pierced my sinuses and nasal cavities.
Oh, this was wayyy worse than the commercial stuff as far as heat, at least for the first few hours. I took just the tiniest taste and thought my head was on fire.

It, however, had a better taste than the commercial after it calmed down. It had honey and onion powder, and some cider vinegar in it.

Back
Top Bottom