How to Make the Best Roasted Garlic Pork Roast from PBS show Cook's Country

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kleenex

Master Chef

Well that is what they titled the youtube video. That was one flavorfullllll piece of pork. All those spices worked so well together. The whole pieces of Garlic were super tasty and was fully surprised you needed that much for a recipe. The gravy was a full on flavor bomb of goodness.

I will certainly make this again. WOW!!!

I had to go to go to my local Indian food store for the fennel seasoning. Thought it could be found at big box grocery store and it could not happen.

I had to go to go to my local Indian food store for the fennel seasoning. Thought it could be found at big box grocery store and it could not happen.
You could grind your own fennel seed. Mortar and pestle, or I use a cheap coffee grinder dedicated to the purpose of grinding spices.

While I could grind my own Fennel seed the problem would have been finding some at a cheap price in my local area.

No way was I going to pay 6 plus bucks for the smallest tiniest plastic container of fennel seed from McCormick.

The Indian Food Store was selling me 7oz of the stuff ground in a bag for 1.99 which was very hard to pass up. That wound up being the main reason for me to get all the other main ingredients for the recipe.

Just as an aside, the upside down orange cake made on the same episode is really good. I made it for an orange ingredient challenge on another forum. Neither Craig or I are fond of pineapple upside down cake, but we both liked the orange upside down cake. Not too sweet and not a huge cake, just right for us.

I made a couple of changes, used orange extract, lightly browned the butter that went into the cake, and made my own glaze for the top using orange juice, orange liqueur, some granulated sugar, and orange zest.

No way was I going to pay 6 plus bucks for the smallest tiniest plastic container of fennel seed from McCormick.

The price of fennel pollen makes that pale in comparison.

I did a version of this recipe using pork tenderloin, cutting down on ingredients and cooking time for the pork obviously. Have to agree that it is very good.

pork tenderloin would fully work imo. Certainly would have to cut down on the spices used.

Pork tenderloin would work but only if you find and add a "fat cap" - and you would seriously have to adjust the timing! but yeah, it would work.

Pork tenderloin would work but only if you find and add a "fat cap" - and you would seriously have to adjust the timing! but yeah, it would work.
You don't need a fat cap. You just have to adjust time and technique. I've done it many times with recipes calling for pork loins since a tenderloin is enough for the 2 of us.

I'm guess you are right as I think it over again. The browning in oil would be fine, as that is how I often do tenderloin anyhow. But by adjusting technique, just what do you mean?

A tenderloin would be more than enough for me, maybe even a second meal if I don't piggy it out. :pig: :blush:

Well Sally I say this recipe is pretty easy to make as long as you can find all the ingredients and a pan to fit the piece of pork in. The only thing you may not like so much is the garlic peeling part.

It is so worth it for the smell and the taste of the gravy alone. It tastes better than it even sounds even though it sounds amazing to start with.

I'm guess you are right as I think it over again. The browning in oil would be fine, as that is how I often do tenderloin anyhow. But by adjusting technique, just what do you mean?

A tenderloin would be more than enough for me, maybe even a second meal if I don't piggy it out. :pig: :blush:
The garlic cloves are obviously going to be a longer cook to get done or you are going to have to cut or smash them, AKA doing something different so they get done.

I don't remember what else was involved in this recipe and I'm not watching the video again. You just have to make adjustments when you are using a different cut of meat.

Well Sally I say this recipe is pretty easy to make as long as you can find all the ingredients and a pan to fit the piece of pork in. The only thing you may not like so much is the garlic peeling part.

It is so worth it for the smell and the taste of the gravy alone. It tastes better than it even sounds even though it sounds amazing to start with.
Kleenex I do have a large enough pan, Ingredients don't seem too hard to obtain. I have a pot of rosemary growing and there is an Indian grocery nearby. It'll be awhile yet for my company. Thanks...PS oh yes, the garlic. Once I put my mind to it......:D

Last edited:
Tried it with the tenderloins. Pretty good. I was thinking that was a lot of fennel but it mellows in the searing.

No oven. I removed the garlic around 10 minutes in, total sear on the big one was about 5 minutes per side for 20 minutes total. Returned the garlic for the sauce stage.

PXL_20230530_230455954.MP.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20230530_230455954.MP.jpg
    PXL_20230530_230455954.MP.jpg
    197.6 KB · Views: 2
Day 2 leftovers, the fennel is more pronounced today. I didn't mind but my daughter did. Something to think about if you find fennel a strong flavor.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom