How to properly panfry duck breast?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hyperion

Senior Cook
34pdo43.jpg

Hi all, I haven't come here for some time. The above picture is my first time attempting panfried duck breast, which I butchered off of a whole duck along with the skin. Here's what I did:

I first scored the skin lightly for grease to leak through. Then seasoned with salt and pepper. I started with a cold pan on medium-low, put the duck breast skin-side-down in the cold pan and let the fat render. After several minutes (maybe 7-10 minutes) I discovered that the skin is already golden brown, a lot of duck fat rendered out in the skillet, so I turned it over and cooked for another 3-4 minutes so it ends up slightly pink in the center.

Now the problem is that the skin is not cooked evenly, there's a lot of fat near the edge of the skin that curls up during cooking that doesn't touch the bottom of the pan, so it turns out very rubbery cuz it's undercooked. I made duck confit before so I know when duck skin is fully rendered, it's thin as paper and crispy. It's not the case with the panfried duck. It still looks like there's plenty of fat in and under the skin, but I'm afraid that if I cook it longer the skin will eventually burn.

So could you tell me what's the proper way of panfrying a duck breast with skin?

Thanks!

I score the skin making half-inch cuts in two directions. Place the breast, skin side down in a heated pan. The goal is to use gentle heat so a lot of fat will render and the skin crisps thoroughly before it cooks through. Then flip it over and pop it into a 350º F oven for 5-7 minutes to finish.

When you score the skin, cut through the skin and fat to the flesh. Don't cut the flesh.

Back
Top Bottom