How to quantify a measurement?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

callmaker60

Senior Cook
I bought some pickle crisp to add to my dill pickle recipe, the jar calls for 1/8 teaspoon per pint jar, so how much is 1/8 teaspoon?

You had to make me look. My ancient set only goes down to 1/4 tsp.

I shopped for my measuring spoon set (Cuisipro Stainless Steel Measuring Spoon Set - $17.99) by comparing all the features of the others, just as I do with all of my purchases. OXO Good Grips 7-Piece Plastic Measuring Spoons is only $4.99.

I prefer stainless steel measuring spoons. They hold up better in the garbage disposal. :rolleyes:

An set of spoons I buy must include a 1/2 Tablespoon measure.

A pinch is generally considered 1/8 teaspoon.

Depends on who you ask. In the spoon set I have, a pinch is less than 1/8. Of course, then we have to worry about a dash and a smidgen. Frankly, I cant imagine using a spoon to measure that small of an amount.

I prefer stainless steel measuring spoons. They hold up better in the garbage disposal. :rolleyes:

An set of spoons I buy must include a 1/2 Tablespoon measure.

½ tb = 1½ tsp. I can deal with using 2 spoons if I really need to. ;)

I've never had any problem just pinching a pinch. And I'll take a big pinch and call it 1/8 tsp. For measures that small, I've never found it that critical to do more than just estimate from experience.

Unless I'm baking, I usually estimate a lot of measurements. I know what a teaspoon sized pile of dry stuff looks like in the palm of my hand, so I can work from there to get ¼ tsp, ½ tsp or going up 1 tb (3 tsp).

Depends on who you ask. In the spoon set I have, a pinch is less than 1/8. Of course, then we have to worry about a dash and a smidgen. Frankly, I cant imagine using a spoon to measure that small of an amount.

I have a spoon that is labeled "Just a Pinch." My everyday set is magnetic and the spoons never get lost. There are five in the set and I do have a half of TBLS. along with 1/4 tsp. That is the smallest one. My Just a Pinch is from another set. I also have 1/8 from another set.

I also have the same set of spoons that Giada uses on her show. They are made of glass and look like porcelain. Very delicate. I am so afraid of breaking them that I never use them. I got them as a gift.

I have had them all. The dollar set from the Dollar Store have handles that are sharp. And when you measure them against a name brand, they come up a wee bit short of a true measure. Including their spoons. But they were what I could afford at the time. They served the purpose. :angel:

just watch out with the "pickle crisp" stuff.
I used something similar ( or possibly the same). and I figured a little was good, a little bit more was better.
The problem is, the stuff does have a ' taste' which is a little bitter.
So try to stick to their measurements as adding too much may make the pickles a little bitter, or at least that was my experience.

I've never had any problem just pinching a pinch. And I'll take a big pinch and call it 1/8 tsp. For measures that small, I've never found it that critical to do more than just estimate from experience.

Unless I'm baking, I usually estimate a lot of measurements. I know what a teaspoon sized pile of dry stuff looks like in the palm of my hand, so I can work from there to get ¼ tsp, ½ tsp or going up 1 tb (3 tsp).

1. I'm aware of the relationship. I prefer NOT having to deal with two spoons.

2. Unless I'm baking, I also do most of my measuring in the palm of my hand.

Same here, Rick. Unless I'm baking (which is rare) or it's liquid, the palm of my hand is my measuring spoon set. :)

Back
Top Bottom