How to serve tinned Foie Gras as a starter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hoogie

Assistant Cook
Hi All,

I am cooking dinner for some friends on Wednesday evening and have a tin of Foie Gras in my cupboard which I brought back from a trip to France last year.

I am keen to serve Foie Gras as a starter on the evening and wanted to ask, what is the best way to serve it?

I wanted to serve it with toast and some chutney and was specifically interested in the following points:

1 - How should I prepare the Foie Gras before serving? Should I remove it from the tin and chill it in the fridge?

2 - What is the best type of toast to serve it with, thinly sliced and toasted French Baguette? Or are there any crackers or other toasts that work better?

3 - What type of chutney/pickle will best complement Foie Gras?

Many thanks

Hi All,

I am cooking dinner for some friends on Wednesday evening and have a tin of Foie Gras in my cupboard which I brought back from a trip to France last year.

I am keen to serve Foie Gras as a starter on the evening and wanted to ask, what is the best way to serve it?

I wanted to serve it with toast and some chutney and was specifically interested in the following points:

1 - How should I prepare the Foie Gras before serving? Should I remove it from the tin and chill it in the fridge?

2 - What is the best type of toast to serve it with, thinly sliced and toasted French Baguette? Or are there any crackers or other toasts that work better?

3 - What type of chutney/pickle will best complement Foie Gras?

Many thanks

Is it a whole Foie Gras or has it been made into a paste or mousse?

It has been made into a paste/mouse, so is ready to spread on bread etc

I'd serve it on thin, lightly toasted bread, maybe with some shaved and chopped up fresh, black truffle sprinkled on top.:yum:

I would serve at room temp with some chutney or maybe a fig jam. Sliced baguette would be great and toasted lightly would be even better.

You might consider something like this:

DSC08877.jpg

but changing up the offerings to include a slice of the mousse, a few slices of baguette, some fig jam, sliced plums or blackberries, a small spoonful of chutney, a small bundle of slivered cucumber, a sprinkle of fresh parsley and a small drizzle of balsamic around but not on these items.

Sauce it like this:
foie_gras.jpg

We make our own here along with confit de canard every winter after Christmas for the coming year with our french friends. I suggest opening the tin each end and pushing out onto a plate before chilling in the fridge. Gently scrape away any white fat residue if there is any. Slice it finely ( 1/4" is good) with a warm knife and serve with either fresh crusty bread or toast triangles is nice. Let the foie gras do the talking but by all means offer a fig or cherry conserve on the side if you wish. If you have some pink peppercorns or sea salt crystals, then a pinch of them crushed on top is lovely. It is very rich so this is a case of 'less is more' if serving as a first course.
Bon appetit!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom