How to steam a cooking pumpkin??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

billbo24

Assistant Cook
I am a beginner. I can't work out if it's possible to use a pale harder flesh cooking pumpkin & still steam it? or perhaps microwave it? I don't want to bake it for 40 minutes every time I do it?

Although I've never cooked or steamed pumpkin before so I don't know how to do it. Bare in mind it's sold as a cooking pumpkin which I thought meant it was the only one that's nice enough to eat.

What do I do as the net doesn't answer my concerns.

Thanks!

First, I.ve used may a jack-o-lantern pumpkin for cooking, and for pies. They are a winter squash, and taste great. Supposedly, the smaller pie pumpkins are supposed tp be sweeter in flavor, and many swear that you have to use the ones labeled as pie pumpkins. That just isn't true. Jack-o-lantern pumpkins taste just like Hubbard squash, with the texture of acorn squash. Pie pumpkins are simply smaller, and so a little easier to work with.

As for cooking, yes, they can be stemmed, boiled, baked, or cooked in the microwave. Simply cut them from top to bottom into 2 to 3 inch wedges, and peel with vegetable peeler. Scrape off seeds, and keep for baking, or for planting in your garden next year. Cut into chunks to fit into cooking vessel, and cook accordingly.

Tip. take the resulting liquid and pour it into ice cube trays. For a yummy beverage, throw the cubes into a blende and crush, along with pumpkin pie spices, and sugar. It's delicious. You can also use the pumpkin juice for the water in quick breads, and cakes. If you bake the squash nd put the juice onto a jelly roll sheet, then freeze it, you can then scrape it, add pumpkin pie spice, and you get shaved ice. My youngest daughter does that after processing the pumpkin. I always carve my jack-o-lanterns the night before Halloween, and use battery powered pumpkin lights to illuminate the inside. The chill autumn ir preserves the pumpkin, and I process it after Halloween, freeze it for Thanksgiving day pies.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited:
Yes you can still steam it. Cut it into manageable chunks and steam as you would any solid foods. Or same applies to the micro-wave.

You could also boil those chunks but I much prefer steaming or microwave, not so messy.

Peeling is up to you. I usually try to peel when steaming but for some reason I always leave it on when using the micro. Go figure...

billbo24 - Welcome to DC, stick around and join in!

How do you season your pumpkin? is it for pie or a dinner vegie, maybe a soup?

Thanks very much for your answers! I shall have a go then with my cooking version of a pumpkin. Since there the same taste pretty much why worry. Great.

Back
Top Bottom