How to take food photos with a 100 watt light bulb...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

caseydog

Master Chef
I posted this to another food forum years ago, and thought my DC friends might like it, too.

As many of you know, I am a professional photographer, classically trained, with a college degree in Art. One of the many challenges thrown at me in my training was how to do more with less. One of my mentors liked to challenge young photographers to do "studio" photographs with a single, 100 Watt light bulb.

Okay, this is something you can do at home, with stuff you can buy for cheap, or already have.

The set up involves building a wooden frame that is at least 2-foot by 2-foot in size, that you stretch some kind of diffusing material over. To keep it cheap, I used a white kitchen trash bag as my diffusing material. The light source was a table lamp with the shade off, and a 100 watt lightbulb.

Look at the photos attached, and you should get it.

You should probably use a tripod for your camera, since a 100 watt light bulb is not very bright -- unless you have a ridiculously expensive camera, as I do.

I hope some of you decide to give it a try sometime, even if only just for fun. This is just the basic setup, you can add pieces of white cardboard or some aluminum foil for reflectors to provide fill light to reduce the shadows. Play with it.

CD

Attachments

• lights002.jpg
    lights002.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 146
  • lights001.jpg
    lights001.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:
Very nice, simple set up.
I was into photography back in the 70's and 80's, lost interest for a while, then got into astro-photography for a little while in the early 2000's. Since then, I've sold all my gear I've accumulated since the early 70's. All I have now is the camera in my iphone 6.. :LOL:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom