Hump day - Wednesday 6-7. Anyone cooking today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pepperhead212

Executive Chef
Or did nobody want to cook, due to the widespread bad air quality?

I was in almost all day, so I did a few things, and for dinner I made a creole type dish today - would have been like jambalaya, if I had shrimp. I cooked some whole oats, instead of rice - cooked 1 1/3 c of them separately in the Instant Pot, while I was cutting everything up, and drained them. I had a lb of mushrooms I had to use up, as well as some bell peppers I had to use. I nuked 14 oz of frozen ham, just enough to dice it up. I also chopped up 4 of those garlic scapes, and a large handful of those garlic chives, for the garlic flavor. The spices and herbs were what I use in my jambalaya - cloves, hot pepper (I used some aleppo, to get more flavor), thyme, and ground bay leaf, plus some black pepper.

I pre-cooked the mushrooms, followed by the diced ham, browning both some, and setting aside. Then I cooked an onion in some olive oil, until browning some, adding the scapes towards the end. Then the bell peppers and celery were cooked another 10 minutes, followed by the seasonings mix, blooming the seasonings for a minute or so, then adding the can of tomatoes, and 2 c water. Brought to a brisk simmer, and cooked 15 min. Then I added the mushrooms, ham, and garlic chives, and cooked another 10 minutes. Then I stirred in those cooked oats, and cooked another 5 minutes. I put some halved snow peas in a bowl, to serve it on, just for some crunch!
Onions browned some, then the chopped garlic scapes added. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Bell peppers and celery, added to onion mix, to be cooked about 10 minutes. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Veggies with the spices and herbs, with tomatoes added, and ready to simmer. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Cooked mushrooms and ham, ready to stir in, and cook 10 minutes longer. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Cooked oat groats, ready to stir into the creole mix, then simmer 5 more minutes. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Some snow peas I just picked, to serve the creole oats on. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Finished Creole oats, with mushrooms and ham. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

I’ve been trying to use up the items on the emergency shelf.

Tonight was Dinty Moore beef stew and marinated cucumber/onion salad.

1686202525121.jpeg

Tonight I made an experimental dish for supper. It's based on a recipe I came across on a Danish cooking site. It's chicken in a white sauce with mushrooms served with pasta. It was pretty good, but needs some tweaking. I used lion's mane mushroom. They sort of overwhelmed the dish, but not in a bad way. I just couldn't really taste chicken. If I use that again, I will use a lot less. I served it with a salad of oak leaf lettuce, green crisp lettuce, bok choy, celery, shaved red onion, peas, and haskap berries. We had cherries for dessert.
Chicken and lion's mane mushroom sauce with wholewheat spaghetti and a salad sm.jpg
Chicken and lion's mane mushroom sauce with ww spaghetti and a salad sm.jpg

Back
Top Bottom