Hungarian Recipes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kitchenelf

Chef Extraordinaire
Since I am of Hungarian descent I want to share a few favorite recipes. And also, since my heritage includes some of the "traveling gypsy" I will try very hard not to move before I get this typed!! LOL

POTATO CAKES

3 or 4 med. potatoes
1/2 envelope of dry yeast
1/2 cup of warm milk for yeast
1/2 tsp. sugar
1 1/2 cups to 1 2/3 cups of flour
1/2 tsp. salt
Lard for frying (I use Crisco)

Cook the potatoes in boiling, salted water. Peel immediately and mash. You should have about 1 1/2 cups. Cool mashed potatoes.

Mix the warm milk with the yeast and sugar. Let the starter sit for 5 or 10 minutes.

Mix mashed potatoes with flour and salt. Start with 1 1/2 cups of flour and add more to make a kneadable dough. Knead dough well.

Put dough in a bowl and cover. Let dough rise in a warm place until doubled in bulk -about 1 hour. Roll out dough with a floured rolling pin on a floured board to 1/2 inch thick. Cut into rectangles, squares or circles. Prick with a knife to keep big bubbles from forming.

Melt lard in a frying pan to at least 1/2" deep.

Fry cakes over medium heat. If the oil is too hot they will burn, if the oil is to cool they will absorb too much oil. You will have to watch them. Let them take on a nice golden color.

When they are done, rub each cake with a cut clove of garlic and sprinkle with salt and Paprika.

Serve warm. Good served with soups and also makes a good snack served with a glass of wine or beer.

CUCUMBERS AND SOUR CREAM

2 large cucumbers

Dressing:
4 oz. sour cream
1 TBS apple cider vinegar
½ tsp salt
lots of black pepper
2 tsp sugar

Peel and slice cucumbers paper thin; set aside. In large bowl, mix dressing ingredients thoroughly. Add cucumbers; cover and marinate in fridge for at least 30 minutes.

Potato Casserole

Potato Casserole

5 or 6 large potatoes
4 eggs - hard boiled
1 smoked sausage (a good kielbasa)
several tbspns butter
1 pint sour cream
salt

Peel and dice 5 or 6 large potatoes and boil until they start to get soft (10-15 minutes). Hard boil eggs, remove shells, and slice. Cut sausage into bite-size pieces. When potatoes are ready, drain into colander and return to pot. Mix in enough butter to coat (a few large spoonfuls or less); layer in casserole dish with eggs and sausage. Cover mixture completely with a pint of sour cream that has been mixed with salt to taste. Cook at 350 degrees for at least 20 minutes, or until sour cream is firm and sausages are cooked.

Vegetarian option: Omit sausage and instead saute onions in butter; add to potatoes after they are drained.

Serves 4

Chicken Paprikas Over Egg Noodles

1/2 cup vegetable oil
3-4 medium onions- diced
Half a green pepper- diced
3-4 tbsp. paprika
1 tbsp. tomato paste
1 whole chicken cut-up into sections, washed and salted well
1 can mushrooms (optional)
1/4 cup water (**add 1/4 cup water if needed)
4 Tbsp. sour cream
Egg noodles (any shape)

In a large pot add oil, onions, and green pepper. Saute until golden brown. Remove from stove and add paprika and tomato paste. Mix well.

Add salted chicken sections and mushrooms if using. Mix well until sauce completely coats chicken. Add 1/4 cup water. Cover slightly and simmer for 30 minutes or until chicken is tender.

** Add 1/4 cup water if needed. Simmer for 10 minutes more. Add sour cream, mix well and gently boil for 3 minutes.

Cook egg noodles in large pot of boiling salt water. Drain and rinse. Serve noodles with chicken and sauce mixture over top.

Hungarian Cabbage Rolls (for slow cooker)

1 large head of cabbage

3/4 pound ground pork
3/4 pound ground beef
1 small onion, chopped
1 cup rice
1 egg, beaten
1 tablespoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 tablespoon paprika
2 cups sauerkraut, rinsed and drained
1 1/2 cups tomato juice
1 1/2 cups water
1 cup sour cream

Remove core from cabbage, place in a large bowl and pour boiling water over to cover. Let stand until the cabbage has wilted, about 5 minutes. Drain and remove the leaves, leaving them whole. Trim off the heavy stem and flatten leaves.

Combine meats, onion, rice, egg, salt, pepper, and paprika. Put about 2 tablespoons of this mixture on each leaf, fold sides in and roll up. Place rolls seam side down in pot. Spread the sauerkraut on top of the rolls and add romato juice and water.

Cook on low, covered, for 6 to 8 hours.

Remove cabbage rolls to a warm platter. Blend 1/2 cup of the broth with the sour cream and pour over cabbage rolls.

Gulyásleves (Hungarian goulash soup)

Since hot paprika is hard to find, bring up the heat by adding small dried red chiles, rather than adding more paprika, which can make the soup too sweet. If you don't like it hot, omit the chiles. It will not be authentic, but it will still be great!

Ingredients
6 small dried red chiles such as Cayenne or Piquin
5 Tablespoons hot Hungarian paprika
1 cup flour
1 pound cubed, boneless beef chuck
2 Tablespoons bacon fat or oil
1 medium onion, cut in thin slices
1 large carrot, peeled and diced
4 cups beef broth
1 tablespoon fresh black pepper, coarsely ground
3/4 teaspoon caraway seeds

Mix 4 tablespoons of the paprika with the flour. Add the beef, toss to coat, and shake off excess flour. Brown the beef cubes in the bacon fat, remove and drain.

Add the onions to the oil and saute until they are browned.

Place all the ingredients in a large pot or crockpot, bring to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer until the vegetables and meat are very tender and start to fall apart. Add more water if necessary to thin to desired consistency.

Variation: Add diced potatoes and tomatoes that have been peeled and seeds removed for a heartier soup or stew.

Yield: 6 servings

Spice Cookie

1 lb. of walnuts, ground well
1 lb. or 6 cups of bread crumbs, (make from dry French or Italian bread)
9 egg yolks
1/4 lb. of butter (1 stick), melted
1 tsp. of ground clove
1 tsp. ground nutmeg
1 lb. of sugar (2 1/2 cups)

Place in mixing bowl the ground walnuts, bread crumbs, ground clove, ground nutmeg and sugar.

Beat egg yolks with melted butter.

Mix beaten egg and butter mixture into mixing bowl ingredients with a wire pastry cutter or use Cuisinart to blend.

Firmly press the cookie mix flat into a pan that has been buttered and floured on the bottom. It will seem crumbly at first. (This recipe will make 4 or 5 8-inch square pans or 2, 9 x 12 inch pans full). Make the cookie mix about 1 inch thick.

With a knife or straight edged pastry board scraper, carefully cut the dough into 1 inch by 2 inch bars.

Bake in a low oven about 325 degrees until firm, about 20 - 25 minutes. It should be slightly dark in color. You have to watch this carefully. Can burn easily.

Let bars cool in pan. After they are cooled, recut with knife and keep in cookie tin.

This recipe may easily be cut in half.

Tony Packo’s Stuffed Cabbage

Tony Packo’s Stuffed Cabbage
This isn't Hungarian stew but a recipe for stuffed cabbage from Tony Packo's Cafe in Toledo, which Jamie Farr made famous on the television series M*A*S*H. By Chef Dorothy Braunbern.
1 cup uncooked rice
1 head cabbage, about 3 pounds
2 pounds ground beef or 1 pound ground pork and 1 pound ground beef
2 eggs
2 medium onions, chopped, divided
1 clove garlic, minced
2 teaspoons salt
Pepper and paprika to taste
1 pound sauerkraut, canned or bulk
1 can (1 pound) whole tomatoes with juice, mashed
1 can (10 3/4 ounces) condensed tomato soup
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt
Sour Cream Sauce--
1 tablespoon butter
2 small onions, chopped
3 ounces sour cream
1 can (1 pound) whole tomatoes with juice, mashed
In a small bowl, soak the rice in cold water for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, remove the core from the cabbage and immerse the head in boiling water long enough to wilt the leaves, about 10 minutes. Remove from the water and drain. Remove the large leaves and cut out the large vein from the center of each with a triangular cut. In a large bowl, combine the meat, eggs, 1 chopped onion, the garlic, 2 teaspoons salt, the pepper and paprika. Rinse the soaked rice well with cold water; drain and add it to the meat mixture. Using your hands, mix the ingredients until well combined. Place about 1/2-cup meat mixture onto each cabbage leaf and roll it up, tucking the sides in like an egg roll. Secure the rolls with a toothpick. Repeat until all the meat mixture is used. Set the rolls aside. Removing any remaining core, chop the remaining cabbage. Place it in a large bowl with the sauerkraut, mashed tomatoes and juice, tomato soup, remaining chopped onion, the sugar, 1 teaspoon salt and additional pepper and paprika to taste. Put some of the sauerkraut mixture on the bottom of a large heavy kettle or Dutch oven. Place the cabbage rolls upright around the edge and center of the kettle. Put the remaining sauerkraut mixture on top. Fill the kettle with enough water to cover the tops of the rolls. Cover and cook over low heat about 2 hours, adding water as needed to keep the rolls completely covered. Meanwhile, prepare the Sour Cream Sauce. In a medium saucepan, melt the butter; add the onions and cook until soft. Stir in the sour cream, tomatoes and juice. Mix well and keep warm until serving time.
Yields about 8 servings

This sounds great Forney!!!!! One thing is for sure - Hungarian cooking is lot light!!!!! I think they ate this way for so long that heart disease is now a gene!!

Hi

Do you have any coffeecake or sweet bread type recipes? I love to bake (not to eat...not anorexic but just don't eat much) and like coffee cakes the best.

Thanx :D :D :D

Potica

Makes 2 loaves

This is a wonderful bread from Slovenia with a sweet, nutty filling. Due to the spelling and pronunciation (paw-tee'-tzah) it's very hard to find the recipe. This is very similar to what my mother made but I don't remember the raisins. I looked for literally 15 years for this recipe. I couldn't find it because I was spelling it the way it was pronounced (my version was potizza though. Once I learned the proper spelling all those who answered my request were from in and around the area where I grew up in Ohio, which was Euclid - I thought that was very interesting!! I hope you enjoy this recipe.

1 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
1/4 cup white sugar
1/4 cup milk, lukewarm
1 cup butter, softened
6 egg yolks
1 1/3 cups milk
5 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup butter, melted
1 cup honey
1 1/2 cups raisins
1 1/2 cups chopped walnuts
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon

In a small mixing bowl, dissolve yeast, 1 teaspoon sugar, and 3 tablespoons of the flour in warm milk. Mix well, and let stand until creamy, about 10 minutes.

In a large mixing bowl cream the butter with the remaining sugar. Add the egg yolks one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the yeast mixture, remaining milk, 4 cups of flour and the salt; mix well. Add the remaining flour, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring well after each addition. When the dough has pulled together, turn it out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 8 minutes. Lightly oil a large bowl, place the dough in the bowl and turn to coat with oil. Cover with a damp cloth and let rise in a warm place until doubled in volume, about 1 hour.

Lightly grease one or two cookie sheets. Deflate the dough and turn it out onto a lightly floured surface. Divide the dough into two equal pieces and roll Out to 1/4 to 1/2 inch thickness. Spread each piece with melted butter, honey, raisins, walnuts and cinnamon. Roll each piece up like a jelly roll and pinch the ends. Place seam side down onto the prepared baking sheets. Let rise until double in volume. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).

Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for about 60 minutes or until the top is golden brown.

Authentic Hungarian Coffee Cake

(Aranygaluska)

This coffee cake consists of balls of coffee cake dough made in a round tube cake-pan with nuts, cinnamon and a syrup-like glaze on the outside. This recipe is not a quick one. It uses yeast in the dough and that means 2 1/2 to 3 hours spent in raising the dough. It is a good recipe for a lazy Saturday or Sunday. I always double the recipe to make two. One for now and one for the freezer for when the "urge" hits me. :D

(This recipe comes from June Meyer who is my Hungarian Hero!!! LOL. My father and his parents were from Hungary. I grew up eating dishes I knew we liked but had no idea they were true Hungarian dishes. After reading her recipes I realized how much of an influece these dishes were in my childhood.

10 inch tube pan
1 cup of sour cream
1/2 cup melted butter (no margarine)
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp. salt
2 cakes yeast
3 eggs
4 1/2 cups of flour
Mixture to roll dough in

1/2 cup of soft butter melted
1 cup chopped walnuts
1 cup sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon

Mix sour cream, sugar, salt and yeast. Stir until yeast dissolves. Add eggs, softened butter and half the flour. Mix well and add rest of flour. Turn dough out on floured board and knead until smooth for about 10 to 15 minutes. Place in greased bowl. Cover and let rise in warm place until double in bulk for about 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Punch dough down. Turn over and let rise again for 45 minutes.

After second rising, form into walnut-sized balls. Melt butter in small cup. Dip each ball in melted butter and roll in sugar and walnut and cinnamon mixture. Place in layers in 10-inch greased tube pan. Sprinkle any remaining sugar-nut mixture or melted butter over the top layer of balls.

Cover pan with waxed paper and towel and let dough rise again 45 minutes. Bake 40 to 50 minutes at 375 degrees or until golden brown. Run spatula around sides of coffee cake, and invert onto plate.
To serve, break coffee cake apart with two forks.

Gulyas/Goulash

By the way - GREAT to see you.

OK, gulyas facts:

A gulyas with more broth is considered a gulyas soup and a gulyas with less broth is considered gulyas meat. A gulyas never has wine in it, never has flour in it, it never has a brown sauce in it, and the only spice is caraway - NO OTHER. The only garniture in a gulyas is either diced potatoes or galuska (egg dumplings - recipe to follow). You can use lard and/or bacon and chopped onions are a must. You can use fresh tomatoes or tomato puree, garlic, sliced green peppers or hot cherry peppers to make it spicy, etc. Also, the more parts of beef and beef innards you use the tastier the dish will be.

Gulyas (goulash)

2 medium onions
2 TBS lard or bacon grease
2 1/2 pounds beef chuck, or round, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
1/2 pound beef hearts (optional), cut into 1/4-inch pieces
1 garlic clove, chopped and crushed
pinch of caraway seeds
salt
2 TBS Noble Rose paprika or other Hungarian paprika (do not use Spanish or other, it will only color the food versus flavoring it)
1 medium-sized ripe tomato
2 green peppers 1 pound potatoes
galaska (recipe to follow)

Have 2 1/2 quarts water warming on stove. If you use cold water where indicated in this recipe it will tend to make the meat tough while it is frying.

Peel onions, chop coarsely and saute in lard in heavy 6-8 quart Dutch oven. Heat should be low so as not to brown onions.

When onions are transparent add beef and beef heart. Stir mixture for about 10 minutes while mixing meat and onions together.

Crush the garlic, caraway seeds, and salt using the flat side of a heavy knife.

Take Dutch oven off of heat and stir in rapidly the paprika and garlic mixture. Immediately after the paprika has been absorbed add the warm water mentioned above. Cover and cook on low for about 1 hour.

Peel tomato and cut into 1-inch pieces or use some tomato puree. Core and slice green peppers into rings, peel potatoes and cut into a 3/4-inch dice.

Check after an hour to see if meat is tender, if not braise longer. Add the tomato, green peppers and enough water to give it a soup consistency :cool: or NOT if you want a gulyas meat. Add a little salt and simmer slowly for another 30 minutes.

Add potatoes and cook until done. Adjust salt, add hot cherry pepper pods if using.

Cook dumplings in stew:

Galuska, levesche (little dumplings)

1 egg
3 TBS flour
pinch of salt

Mix everything together. Spoon mixture into boiling soup mixture using 1/4 teaspoon at a time. Cook in soup for 2 to 3 minutes just before serving.

KitchenElf, thanks so very much for the rec. for potato cakes. When I was 9/ 10 years old we had neighbors that came from Hungary during the revolution in 1957. The Grandmother was a wonderful cook. The rec. you have listed sounds very much like what she used to make but did not call potato cakes. I will spell the way she pronounced... long goosh. They were great. Many years have passed and I have tried several times to try to find out how to make these. Not until now!!! Thanks so much, I think my hunt is over. Going to make them soon! Thanks again.

Elf, Your coffee cake (nut roll) recipe is very similar to what my family makes for the holidays. My mother is Slovak and she makes 3 kinds of "Kolach". One is almost the same as yours but without the raisins and I know it doesnt have honey...just regular sugar. The others are poppy seed filling and apricot filling. It wouldnt be Christmas without these coffee cakes.

Marshemellow - that would be Langos. I'm so glad you liked the recipe. They (potato cakes) involved some good memories from my childhood!! We would eat them while we were playing cards with our German neighbors.

MIcook - It took me about 20 years to finall find the Potica recipe. The way it's pronounced is NOTHING like it is spelled. And when someone finally recognized it everyone who knew what I was talking about was from Ohio near Cleveland and surrounding areas. We had a large Slovac community in Euclid/Cleveland and the food I grew up with was out of this world!!! I made Kolachky at Christmas - for some reason they just didn't turn out the way I remembered. Oh well, there's next year! LOL

Authentic Hungarian Goulash

Hungarian Goulash

3 TBS Vegetable oil
2 lb Boneless beef chuck cut in 1-inch cubes
1 can Beef broth (14-ounces)
1 c Chopped onion
1 Green pepper; slivered
2 TBS Tomato paste
2 TBS Paprika
2 tsp Caraway seeds
1/2 tsp Salt
1/4 tsp Black pepper
1/3 c Cold water
3 TBS Flour

In a Dutch oven heat the oil. Brown beef cubes on all sides and add beef broth, onion, green pepper, tomato paste, paprika, caraway seeds, salt, and pepper.

Mix cold water into flour then stir into beef mixture. Simmer covered approximately 1-1/2 hours or until meat is tender. Stir occasionally. Serve over wide egg noodles.

Makes 5 to 6 servings.

Re: Gulyas/Goulash

Gulyas (goulash)

2 medium onions
2 TBS lard or bacon grease
2 1/2 pounds beef chuck, or round, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
1/2 pound beef hearts (optional), cut into 1/4-inch pieces
1 garlic clove, chopped and crushed
pinch of caraway seeds
salt
2 TBS Noble Rose paprika or other Hungarian paprika (do not use Spanish or other, it will only color the food versus flavoring it)
1 medium-sized ripe tomato
2 green peppers 1 pound potatoes
galaska (recipe to follow)

Hmmm, I think you forgot to mention parsley. Hungarians usually chop garlic, bacon, and parsly, and add them altogether when goulash is almost cooked.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom