Hungarian Recipes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hello, I'm looking for a pogaczàs recipe (not sure of the spelling sorry) .

I've eat them when I went there but I couldn't find the recipe unfortunatly:(

Thank you for helping :winkiss:

Sabine
Hi there - Hungarian Klara here. Happy to help.
Just editing my cookbook - so I can pass along one of the greats for you.
It's spelled Pogácsa (pogaw cha)

CRACKLING BISCUITS - FLAKEY SCONES
Tepértös Pogácsa

Hungarians love pork Tepértös Pogácsa made from pork cracklings. Pogácsa loosely translates into pompom, a reference to their cross-hatched tops. The distinct flakiness comes from the lard. The dough is folded like puff pastry and not allowed to rise. These scones or biscuits are irresistible with that salty added crunch and flavour from the pork crackling. The recipe below is by far the flakiest, melt-in-your mouth crackling biscuits that were ever printed in a recipe book.

½ cup milk, lukewarm
3 pkg yeast
1 tbsp sugar
4½ cups flour
1½ tsp pepper
2 tsp salt
½ cup milk, lukewarm
1¼ cup Crisco
¾ lb porl crackling, chopped
1¼ cup sour cream
2 egg yolks
1½ tsp baking powder

Proof yeast with warm milk and sugar. Mix flour and pepper together. Mix salt with lukewarm milk. Add crackling & shortening to flour. Add all liquid: mix together sour cream, milk and yeast and egg yolks. Work together, let rest 20 minutes.
Roll out on lightly floured board. Cut with criss-cross pattern – diagonally. Cut into 2” diameter rounds using cookie cutter or water glass. Roll rounds slightly with floured hands to form chubby towers. Brush with beaten egg, then bake in oven at 400°F for 10 min then 350°F for 10 min. Be sure to try a few warm out of the oven – they just melt in your mouth!

More at our website - www.dreammachine.biz - Our cookbook just released in Jan 06 - called Helen's Hungarian Heritage Recipes - also on Ebay.
Cia
Klárá

Thank you Saavychik:)

I'll try as soon as I can . I just have a question : may I replace crisco by butter?

Sabrine - Hi there!
Absolutely - the crisco is an alternative to butter. I consulted my mom - and she says it's even richer in flavour.
Hint - also - for the crackling - try to get the larger pieces - instead of the smaller grind or chop.

Good Luck
Klara

cabbage rolls.
this really caught my attention.
sounds so cozy and warm and comforting.
I'll make this on a day when I get up early, put all in the crock and let it just work all day.
thanks for sharing KE.

I am truly salivating over many of these recipes. Thanks to everyone who posted for our enjoyment.

Last edited:
Can I add my 2 cents to that?

You should blanche the whole cabbage in vinegar water (since you would use whole pickled cabbage originally)

The rice should be halfway cooked before you add it to the mixture.
You would use pork only.
Maybe even add some finely chopped bacon, if the meat is too lean.
You should put a layer of the well washed sourkraut in the pot, then a layer of smoked meat, cover with sourkraut, then the rolls and cover with kraut.I put 1-2 bay leaves in there too.
Cover with water and simmer .When everything is cooked, take the rolls and the meat out.
Chop onions finely, melt some lard.
Add a spoonful of sugar to lard and let it caramelize a bit, stirring.
Add onions and when soft and golden add flour.
Let cook a bit until flour gets a bit of color, add paprika, stir and add a bit of the cooking liquid.
Thicken the kraut with this.
Bring it to a boil, put the rolls and meat back into the pot and simmer together shortly.
I also add the sour cream at the end and serve extra on the side.

Try it this way, it is how we make it in HU.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom