Hurricane Dennis now a Cat 4

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Let me preface this by saying that I really hope everyone stays safe and the storm is not as bad as they are predicting....but do you ever just marvel at nature and it's fury.

I mean here is a storm that is in Cuba, 90 miles from the southern tip of Florida and they are getting wind and rain from that storm all the way up in Tampa, how huge is that storm? It boggles the mind.

I'm kind of a storm freak and am awed by what nature can do. I probably should be a storm chaser in my next life. :ack:

Dateline Sarasota Fl 8:15 AM 7/9. It appears Dennis will pass by the western penninisula off about 200 miles, depending on location north or south. This area has experienced some wind gusts and heavy rain on and off. We've dodged the bullet apparently and now we focus thoughts and prayers on our fellow Floridians in the panhandle and all those along the coast in Ala. and Miss. We will stand down sometime this afternoon, open some wine. Before doing so however, we will say a prayer of thanksgiving.

Great news Airboss....just keep an eye out for tornado's. They can still spin off. This is going to be a long hurricane season.

Susan Z said:
Mobile county orders a mandatory evacuation of 400,000 people---already!

"already" is not soon enough. The trouble is so many people will not go! In some cases, as stated way earlier, the question is not whether to go, it's go where? Can I get a hotel? Will shelters be full?, What do I take? What do I leave? If I go west will Dennis go west? What if I go east? What to do with the dog/cat? Do I have enough of my meds? Can I get gas? Do I have enough cash? Will ATM's work if the electricity goes ou? It all boils down to these two things: Do I want to desert everything I own and have strangers loot my place? And, did I wait too long?

Cap: "...tornados" Yes indeed. Apparently you've done your tropical storm homework. A bad side order that comes with hurricanes as a the main course.

Airboss, my homework has been all too close. I lived in Myrtle Beach since a year before Hugo, and have stayed on the air broadcasting during everyone since then. Although we've had about 10 mandatory evacuations since then, we've been spared a direct hit since Hazel in the fifties.

Hugo certainly mangled us though. My apartment in Murrells Inlet
was out of power for a week. Buildings were pushed across 17 business in Murrells Inlet by the storm surge.

Since then no biggies, but I watch each and every storm very closely, especially since I'm now a homeowner, just 7/10ths of a mile from the Atlantic!!

we've got the same problem here.....10 evacuations with no direct hit. Fewer people evac every time. One of these years, we're gonna get a big one and too many people will be here.

Captain Morgan said:
just 7/10ths of a mile from the Atlantic!!

Hurricanes not withstanding Cap, you got some PRIME real estate there, as you obviously know. Nice neighborhood! I was in Elmira NY when Hazel did her worst many years ago.

it ain't that great....I've just got a little townhouse. If I don't have a heart attack in the next 15 years, it may be worth a little something.

In the 90's, I was at the radio station during one storm, and the winds snapped a pole holding a big satellite dish on the roof. The dish broke free, rose up some, and fell into the roof, with the jagged pole acting like a spear! It scared the hell out of all us ! Sounding like the storm was coming in to get us! little damage, a lot of noise, and a lot of crotch moppin' going on!!!! :D :)

Don't know if we have recreational readers out there who would have an interest in this sort of thing (Cap & Susan would now that I know where they live) but the master author of Florida novels, John D. MacDonald wrote a book called "Condominium" some while back. It would make great reading on those long nights spent tending the Q fires. It’s educational, scary and prophetic. Read this and you’ll never think twice when the evac order comes down. Available in paper back or you can borrow mine. “It’s just a matter of time.â€

Susan Z said:
Elmira! Then you must have eaten Spiedies! I bought a bottle of that original spiedies marinade and if I ever find it, I'll make 'em.

Good friend of mine was the postmaster in Elmira.

Yes Elmira! Let's exchange Elmiraisms. What was the Postmasters name? You say "Spiedies." Would I know them by a different name Susan?

My family and I just got home from Santa Rosa Florida. I have never seen traffic as bad before in my life. People in lines to get gas everywhere. Never did get to go deep sea fishing thanks to Cindy and Dennis and my 11 yr old boy was down about that for days. Oh but the beer flowed like a river and the seafood was awesome. BBQ joints cant compare to my cooking :razz: and Im never pleased with them so I just ate all the sea bugs I could stand.

I hope everyone down south does OK during this disaster.

I know they have a job to do why do these media types insist on putting themselves at so much risk when covering these major storms? I'm scared to death for these kids.

I'm going to disagree with many of you. The Weather Channel people are not doing the people of Florida any service at all. Not once did they mention that the reason damage from Dennis was minimal was that it was moving to fast.

Try to remember that they are a commercial enterprise driven by ratings and the ability to sell commercial time. They tell everybody that they shouldn't be out on the street but where do they have their idiot reporters? On the street.

They tell you what's going on in a hurricane in the Gulf from their cozy studio's in Atlanta. They're first concern is not anyone's safety, it is to make their programming as dramatic as they possibly can so you watch and consequently for their corporate ownership to make money.

Try National Hurricane Cneter in Miami for more realistic, accurate coverage.

I really have to agree with Bruce B and Susan Z.

I guess I should remind myself that even TWC (much as I like some of those kids) is a commercial driven enterprise with their eye on ratings and commercial revenue. Good point Bruce.

And yes Susan, as far as alternatives are concerned the NHC and Weatherunderground.com (a new find for me) are the best sources of information and forecast.

Can you believe we have another one cooking in the Atlantic? Looks to be on the same track as Denny...maybe a bit more north than west. Can you say "already monotonous" boys and girls?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom