Hurricane Fiona

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

taxlady

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
I guess we don't have any members in Atlantic Canada or Eastern Quebec. Post tropical cyclone Fiona was quite a big deal, here in Canada. The numbers of homes damaged and the number of people affected by this storm might not sound high compared with the damage caused by Hurricane Ian, but a huge percentage of the people in the affected area were impacted. I read that 100 homes were washed away in Port aux Basques, Newfoundland and Labrador. Doesn't sound like that much, until you realize that the population of that town is about 3,500 people. "Fiona left more than 500,000 people without power, including 80% of all Nova Scotia customers and 95% of PEI customers." from Wikipedia.

Thankfully, my friends in Nova Scotia and family in New Brunswick are fine. This storm was really scary. It was a post tropical cyclone by the time it hit land, but with hurricane force winds. A post tropical cyclone no longer gets its energy from the thunderstorms around the eye of the storm. It gets its energy from above. This means that it doesn't lose power over land, like a hurricane does.

I had seen reports on the news here - maybe once. I wasn't much worried since it seemed that you were far enough away that you wouldn't be affected. Glad to know that those you know that were in the storm have come out OK.

Back
Top Bottom