Hurricane Ian

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
I hope and pray that everyone got to safe places to get through the storm. I see that Ian has reduced strength to a level 3. That's much better than the level 5 that was expected. I couldn't live in hurricane prone areas. Again, I hope everyone is all right.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

@Chief Longwind Of The North when Ian came ashore, wind speeds were right at the top of Cat 4. I saw one graphic with a speeds of 155 not too far away from the timeshare resort we visit every year. With those winds, and six foot depths of water down Estero Island's main street, I'm pretty sure we won't be able to check in one month from today. Just as long as everyone listened and is safe...well, that's all that really matters.

Ian was a 5 when it hit. There were 155 MPH sustained winds around the eye. Hurricane strength drops fairly quickly once it hits large size portions of land as opposed to islands, though high mountains like those in some of the islands will deplete strength. By the time it crosses Florida, it will be a 1 at best or maybe a tropical storm.

Our DD and DGDs are in the area where the eye passed, Charlotte Harbor, Port Charlotte, North Punta Gorda area. It was still pretty nasty a couple of hours ago where DD and DGDs are when i got the last text . Cell service is in and out, which is normal when a major hurricane passes through an area. When the last one to hit our area passed through, we were only able to text on cells for a week or so.

It was really bad over there. Local news stations weren't showing video from that area, just north and south of there.

I fully expect the area to look like Punta Gorda did when Hurricane Charlie passed through years ago, which was a weaker and much smaller storm and a fast moving one. Ian slowed down to 8 MPH when it hit land. Charlie was moving along at 20 MPH. Charlie devestated Punta Gorda. Craig's brother was alive then and lived there. We went over to help him salvage what he could right after the storm. It was as bad over there from Charlie as it was when Andrew hit South Dade County. Concrete brick buildings were just gone in lots of places .

Storm surge was really bad from Ian. Water was up close to second stories in some areas per local news videos. There was video of a Naples fire station. The fire engine trucks had water half way up the doors.

People's homes and lives have been destroyed. I doubt the vast majority in the hardest hit areas will be worried about tourists coming for a vacation for months.

By the way, Ian is following Charlie's track almost exactly. It will exit Florida around Daytona Beach, which is what Charlie did. We happened to be in Daytona Beach when Charlie went through attending and exhibiting at a trade show. It still wasn't pleasant at a Cat 1 and most of our fellow attendees made butts out of themselves partying and getting drunk, and going outside as the hurricane passed over us.

Last edited:
It seems that you and Craig came through the storm okay, since you're able to post, medtran. I hope the damage in your area isn't too bad. I can only imagine how much damage a Category 5 storm can do. The nearest hit we've had was a Category 1 hurricane that made landfall in the NC Outer Banks about 70 miles south of us. It was a tropical storm by the time it reached us and it was still pretty bad. We didn't have water or power for five days. Some areas didn't get power back for over two weeks.

Take care.

Been concerned about one of my favorite cousins and her husband who live in Ft. Myers, FL along with the son of a dear friend near that area. My cousin is a flight attendant and is, at the moment, safe with her older sister in northern Minnesota. However, her husband is trying to take care of things at their home in Florida. Haven't heard how my friend's son is doing. Fingers crossed.

In the middle of Ian right now. Had a tornado warning earlier, but it expired early. Nothing compared to what Florida is going through, prayers to everyone who was/is in the path.

We live on our boat. We were in Myrtle Beach when it came ashore in SC. Thankfully it was down graded to a cat 1 when it hit us. Still no fun, but we made it safe and with very minor damage.

My heart breaks for all the people in Florida. Both the east coast and west coast had damage. We know many people that lost everything. Makes you appreciate life more and not worry about the small stuff.

We had a lot of wind and rain yesterday, but no damage. We didn't lose power, either, although it flickered a few times. My mom lives two hours west of us - she lost power for several hours; it's back now.

I'm so sorry for the people in Florida who lost so much to this storm :(

We live on the east coast so just got wind and rain. There were a couple of tornados south of us that did some damage in very, very small areas. There were areas with flooding on this side of state that was made worse because of the King tides we were currently experiencing, but absolutely nothing compared to flooding on west coast, even in areas far from the hardest hit.

Our DD and DGDs came through with only minimal damage to their home, but it took about 18 hours for us to hear from them after worst of storm hit. Only 1 out of the 5 household members had cell service then. No power obviously. DD and oldest DGD both work in the Lee County school system so they will have jobs to go back to. Youngest DD is a senior in high school. The other 2 didn't know if they'll have jobs or not when we last talked.

Last edited:
We live on the east coast so just got wind and rain. There were a couple of tornados south of us that did some damage in very, very small areas. There were areas with flooding on this side of state that was made worse because of the King tides we were currently experiencing, but absolutely nothing compared to flooding on west coast, even in areas far from the hardest hit.

Our DD and DGDs came through with only minimal damage to their home, but it took about 18 hours for us to hear from them after worst of storm hit. Only 1 out of the 5 household members had cell service then. No power obviously. DD and oldest DGD both work in the Lee County school system so they will have jobs to go back to. Youngest DD is a senior in high school. The other 2 didn't know if they'll have jobs or not when we last talked.
Prayers for your family! Hope everything works out.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom