I bought a Mac

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GB

Chief Eating Officer
I finally did it. I switched over from PC to Mac. I picked it up on Saturday and so far it has been very easy to learn. I am LOVING this computer. It is so simple to use and things (for the most part) are set up very logically.

For the experienced Mac users here, what advice can you give to a n00b? What are some of the tips or tricks I should be aware about? Are there any programs I absolutely need? I have already downloaded Adium for chatting and I also downloaded a free program (don't recall the name) that works with MS Office files so as of right now I do not think I will have to buy Word or Excel.

Lay your knowledge on me. What do I need to know that I may or may not figure out on my own?

GB... I use to use a Mac many years ago at my job and I LOVED my MAC!!! Loved it!!! It was one of the easiest computers to use and troubleshoot if there was ever a problem. If they are anything like they were 10 years ago when I used them... I have no doubt you will be pleased. Have fun with it!!

Thanks sattie. I am going through a small (very small) learning curve right now, but it really is so easy to use. It works the way you would think it should. Plus it is just so darn sexy looking ;)

I finally did it. I switched over from PC to Mac. I picked it up on Saturday and so far it has been very easy to learn. I am LOVING this computer. It is so simple to use and things (for the most part) are set up very logically.

For the experienced Mac users here, what advice can you give to a n00b? What are some of the tips or tricks I should be aware about? Are there any programs I absolutely need? I have already downloaded Adium for chatting and I also downloaded a free program (don't recall the name) that works with MS Office files so as of right now I do not think I will have to buy Word or Excel.

Lay your knowledge on me. What do I need to know that I may or may not figure out on my own?

PERSONALIZE! PERSONALIZE! PERSONALIZE!

I spent months tweaking my computer to work exactly how i wanted it to and I have no had mine (powerbook G4) for almost 5 years and I love it!

I highly suggest making use of OS 10.5's SPACES feature. its a lifesaver for me... that and hot-corners. super amazing to use and incredibly useful. the only negative thing about apples is that they love to have issues and not want to talk about them (much like my ex girlfriend). it can be frustrating when you get the error "General Error" with nothing but an "OK" button inside it. its like the computer is shrugging its shoulders at you saying, "eh, I don't feel like it" or "because I said so."

but honestly, best purchase I ever made. just take care of it, and if you need some advice on making sure it runs fast (doing video or photo editing), let me know.

good luck and have fun on it!:brows:

<3 steven j.

It is funny that you mentioned Spaces. When I was doing my research before buying I had learned about Spaces and thought it was a feature I would never use. i could not think of a single use for it at all. Now that I have been playing though I really do like using it. I have Firefox in one Space and iTunes in another and iPhoto in a third. It really does help.

Yes please do post advice on making sure it runs fast. I will be using it a lot for photo and video editing so that will be important to me.

It is funny that you mentioned Spaces. When I was doing my research before buying I had learned about Spaces and thought it was a feature I would never use. i could not think of a single use for it at all. Now that I have been playing though I really do like using it. I have Firefox in one Space and iTunes in another and iPhoto in a third. It really does help.

Yes please do post advice on making sure it runs fast. I will be using it a lot for photo and video editing so that will be important to me.

Some really simple things are:
1. making your background a solid color - when you have a background the computer is constantly working to build the image around the windows you move around it. if its a solid color it wont have to work to do that, saving a bit of ram for other things.
2. Check your Activity Monitor (under Applications > Utilities) - I found that some lame program that didnt do anything was taking up 75% of my ram for no good reason. If you find this problem (which you shouldn't for a while) just delete it. WARNING! Don't delete things that you may not know about. There are a lot of little things that run at a very low rate so they are helping your computer, not hurting it. so if there is something you dont understand and it is taking up most or all of your ram, look it up and make sure its a baddie, then terminate it.
3. After a while, make sure you delete your CACHES. this is important to a fast running computer (check online for this process, its a bit more complicated than just deleting).
4. Delete your cookies - in FireFox you can delete your cookies n the preference menu (after a few months of use). this will make your browser much faster.

I'm no pro, so check the Apple forums - i havent, but I'm sure they are really helpful. :)

Have fun!

Interesting point about the background color. I would not have thought of that.

I have been all over the Apple forums for the past few months so I am getting a lot of good info there too. Thanks!

Interesting point about the background color. I would not have thought of that.

I have been all over the Apple forums for the past few months so I am getting a lot of good info there too. Thanks!

Anytime!

That is NICE GB! And SEXY!!! You got me missing my mac now. And it was nothing like what you have now. Congrats on one suh-wheet looking laptop!

It is a good thing that I bought is Sat because i stayed up quite late to play with it and that was the night we changed the clocks so I was not in super bad shape the next day :LOL:

Congratulations on your new baby!!! I'm a Mac lover now, have been for the past 8 going on 9 years. I was a PC devotee until I began working at my current location. Last year I "upgraded" from the Powerbook G4 to a Macbook. I'll admit though, I don't know half of what it can do! :LOL: So I'll be learning from this thread as well:LOL: I mainly just write reports and surf the net with it. :angel:

Someone at the MacRumors Forum just pointed me in the direction of this widget. It looks like it will be pretty useful.

Hey, did you get that for my Christmas Present, GB? :cool:

Looks like you got a nice one.
Now you are are a gear and a book up on me:(
But I do have a Quad Core with Quadro card:chef:

Compared to what I was using before Maidrite, it is like I am going from Fred Flintstones car to Mario Andretti's.

Bet that is true, You done very well my friend. I was looking at one as well but first I need to make some more green stamps LOL;)

All I have ever owned was Mac. I guess I have no new advice to give except enjoy!

Sweeeeeeet! I'm so happy to hear you came over to the Mac side! We both love our macs and I know you will too! Congrats!! :)

Back
Top Bottom