I don't know about this...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was checking out the headlines on my Yahoo news feed page, and my eyes spotted this NPR story:

FDA gives 2nd safety nod to cultivated meat, produced without slaughtering

I think I would rather transition to a vegetarian menu. What do you think about manufactured meat?

Well, the meat was all manufactured on the Star Trek series. :LOL: Guess we are moving toward the future at warp speed.

Seriously though, I'll wait a few years before trying it to give them time to fine tune flavors and see if there are any unwanted side effects.

Being a life long science fiction fan, I have been waiting for this for decades. I imagine it will take a while to get it tasting its best. Vat grown meat won't have done any exercise, which I suspect enhances the flavour of muscle.

I was a vegetarian off and on for five or six years. I would go months without eating meat or fish. But, every now and again, I would get a craving for meat. I know it wasn't just for protein, because eggs and cheese didn't handle those cravings. I think it has to do with my Arctic ancestry.

Well, the meat was all manufactured on the Star Trek series. :LOL: Guess we are moving toward the future at warp speed.

Seriously though, I'll wait a few years before trying it to give them time to fine tune flavors and see if there are any unwanted side effects.
I agree with this. I like the idea but I'm not sure I'm ready for it.

Being a life long science fiction fan, I have been waiting for this for decades. I imagine it will take a while to get it tasting its best. Vat grown meat won't have done any exercise, which I suspect enhances the flavour of muscle.
The cells the meat has been grown from would probably have been exercised, though. It's just a matter of replicating (see what I did there?) the chemistry of the original (she says without really knowing what she's talking about lol).
I was a vegetarian off and on for five or six years. I would go months without eating meat or fish. But, every now and again, I would get a craving for meat. I know it wasn't just for protein, because eggs and cheese didn't handle those cravings. I think it has to do with my Arctic ancestry.
All people (except maybe people whose families have been vegetarian for generations) have a genetic taste for the savory flavor of meat. It's made up of amino acids which are the basic building blocks of the body. We evolved to favor meat because it was so difficult to obtain. Things are different now, of course.

On the other hand, perhaps massage could help exercise the meat. And maybe give them beer to swim in just before the massage.
Now, another major aspect of the philosophy behind raising Wagyu cattle is the idea their stress levels should remain as close to zero as possible. And since some Japanese farms don’t have nearly as much land as equivalent pastures in America, many of these special cows don’t get to roam as freely as they might want to.
Add in some very cold winters, and you’ll find some farmers that actually massage their Wagyu cattle to help avoid cramping or forms of arthritis.
But it’s important to note, massaging cattle isn’t a requirement nor a universal practice in raising Japanese Wagyu — so take it with a grain of salt!

I probably will not try it.......but aside from that.
Do a taste test if that is the reason you eat. Put some unseasoned unsauced real meat on your plate with some manufactured lab grown meat. Take a bite of the first, compare it to the second and see what you like about the taste of either. Go from there.

Back
Top Bottom