I Don't Like Monday Cooking 8/24

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luckytrim

Chef Extraordinaire
Air Baked Chicken Breast Medallions & Mashed Idaho Spuds under a Mushroom Gravy ; Corn off the Cob with Sweet Pepper bits, and the (almost) ever-present Salad...

IMG_4360.jpg

Salmon, caprese salad, and corn on the cob.

His-self will be having lemon-pepper chicken breast, sliced tomatoes, corn off the cob, and asparagus. When he get up that is. [emoji6] [emoji28]20200824_191156.jpg

I have another migraine. We had tacos. Stirling made up a big batch of "taco meat" on Thursday, so it was a low effort supper. I just cut up some onion, chiffonaded some lettuce, and put sour cream, pickled jalapenos, and salsa on the table. Stirling took care of the rest of it. I really appreciate having something so easy to get on the table when I'm out of it. We had beer with supper.

Arroz con pollo, AKA chicken and yellow rice.

Attachments

• 2020-08-24 18.25.20.jpg
    2020-08-24 18.25.20.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 65
It was a long crummy day at work. Home, however, had lots of okra ready to harvest along with several large jalapenos. We had leftover potato salad with fried okra, grill-roasted jalapeno poppers, and BBQ-sauced grilled chicken thighs. And just like that, my day was better! :)

Attachments

• 2020-08-24 19.09.44.jpg
    2020-08-24 19.09.44.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 60
DD recommended a Philly Cheesesteak Sausage on the grill tonight with some potato salad.

Update. While these sausages tasted very good, they don't live up to their name. In a blind taste test you wouldn't taste this and proclaim it to taste just like philly cheese steak.

After supper last night, I told Himself I was going to cook chicken tonight. He said "you know that chicken dish where chicken is stuffed with ham and Swiss cheese?" Honestly, honey?

I ended up making a Chicken Cordon Bleu casserole. [emoji38] Thin slices of seared chicken breast alternated with thin slices of ham, all topped with shredded Jarlsberg cheese. Popped it into the toaster oven to warm through and melt the cheese. Served with buttered parsley orzo. Turned out pretty good! We also had Caprese-topped tossed salads. The tomatoes and basil were from a neighbor one street over who had invited anyone wanting either food to come get them from his yard. I swapped a log of Aldi fresh mozzarella for a bowl full of 'maters and a fistful of basil.

IMG_20200824_202851270.jpgIMG_20200824_203018106.jpg

.... We had leftover potato salad with fried okra, grill-roasted jalapeno poppers, and BBQ-sauced grilled chicken thighs. And just like that, my day was better! [emoji2]

A plate like that would make any day 100% better!!! [emoji7][emoji3059] Yum!

After supper last night, I told Himself I was going to cook chicken tonight. He said "you know that chicken dish where chicken is stuffed with ham and Swiss cheese?" Honestly, honey?

I ended up making a Chicken Cordon Bleu casserole. [emoji38] Thin slices of seared chicken breast alternated with thin slices of ham, all topped with shredded Jarlsberg cheese. Popped it into the toaster oven to warm through and melt the cheese. Served with buttered parsley orzo. Turned out pretty good! We also had Caprese-topped tossed salads. The tomatoes and basil were from a neighbor one street over who had invited anyone wanting either food to come get them from his yard. I swapped a log of Aldi fresh mozzarella for a bowl full of 'maters and a fistful of basil.

View attachment 42601View attachment 42602

Are those pink tomatoes or is it just the lighting? I used to grow pink tomatoes and loved them above all others that I've grown. The Brandywines were my favorite. I miss it so much, growing my own 'maters. But I still get great tomatoes from my local farmer's market.

PS - you're hired as my personal chef ;)

I must be the one who hates Monday cooking the most, as I cooked the least! All I had was leftovers, and not even heated ones. Cold food is my preference, after being out in that heat for so long.

I also had a slice of that zucchini bread for a dessert. It was difficult to only eat one slice. But then, the evening isn't over...

Are those pink tomatoes or is it just the lighting? I used to grow pink tomatoes and loved them above all others that I've grown. The Brandywines were my favorite. I miss it so much, growing my own 'maters. But I still get great tomatoes from my local farmer's market.

PS - you're hired as my personal chef ;)
They really aren't pink, but the flesh does lean more to the pink side rather than the orange. All I know is that they are delicious. Now whether that's because they're home grown or because they were free still needs to be determined. ;)

Not sure if I'm up to personal cheffing. I'm way too slow in the kitchen. :LOL: But if we ever move back to OH and this coronavirus is managed and you're up to driving to wherever we move, you could come for supper if you want. :chef:

Dinner was lamb chops braised in chicken broth, fresh garlic and lemon juice. Side was steamed white corn off the cob.

We went the "breakfast for dinner" route.

I made shrimp/avocado omelettes with hash brown patties and English muffins.

Coconut cake was dessert..

Ross

They really aren't pink, but the flesh does lean more to the pink side rather than the orange. All I know is that they are delicious. Now whether that's because they're home grown or because they were free still needs to be determined. ;)

Not sure if I'm up to personal cheffing. I'm way too slow in the kitchen. :LOL: But if we ever move back to OH and this coronavirus is managed and you're up to driving to wherever we move, you could come for supper if you want. :chef:

Sounds good :)

Monday is the one day of week I don't cook. Lunch usually consists of leftovers from Sunday dinner and my son and I have a long-standing tradition (that his dad started several years ago) called "Munchie Monday", as they called it. That's the one day a week we get takeout food. Sometimes it's something halfway decent and sometimes not so much :ermm:

Yesterday, for example, was McDonald's. That's definitely a rare thing for me, but I like me some McD's now and then.

It was a long crummy day at work. Home, however, had lots of okra ready to harvest along with several large jalapenos. We had leftover potato salad with fried okra, grill-roasted jalapeno poppers, and BBQ-sauced grilled chicken thighs. And just like that, my day was better! :)

Kathleen , That meal would make any ones day better,:wub:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom