I had my first glass of white wine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SizzlininIN

Master Chef
Hi everyone! I planned on making shrimp scampi last Friday night but instead hubby and I went out to Red Lobster for it. I'm not an educated wine drinker at all. The only kind of wine I knew I liked was Reunite Lambrusco and I think I go against the rules because I drink this chilled :?: I probably sounded really stupid because I asked the waiter if all their wines were chilled or if some were room temp. I asked this because about 4 years ago we went out with a couple and I decided to have a glass of red wine. It was at room temp and it was awful. Everyone ended up taking a sip and agreed with me. I think I ended up just ordering a mixed drink. After that I never ordered wine while out to dinner until Friday. You all have given such great advice that I decided to try again. Anyway, the waiter was very kind said, "It depends on the wine" and recommended the St Michelle Reisling. The first drink took me back a little. I think mainly because my palate wasn't used to it. It seemed like the first few drinks the alcohol flavor was strong. Anyway after about 4 sips I really enjoyed it :D So much that I went out after the meal and bought me a bottle of Chateau Ste Michelle (Columbia Valley) Johannisberg Riesling.
So are all whites chilled? Is this particular brand I purchased considered a dry wine? Am I wrong to be chilling the Lambrusco.....should I try to get my palate to adjust to warm red wine? What other reds, if any, are chilled?

That's a good, one Siz...
My husband and I visited that winery when we were up in the Seattle area. It's a beautiful sight with wonderful people.

White wines, like jo reislings and white reislings are great chilled, but I'd never chill a merlot (red). It would be wrong!

If you enjoyed this one, here's my advice: go to a place like Trader Joe's (do you have those stores there?) or a wine-loaded place and ask a lot of questions. Usually wine folk love to talk.

Sizz, that particular white wine you bought is about the only white I have enjoyed!

I like all the reds from this winery and buy them a lot, especially the merlot.

jkath...no trader joes around here. I visited my brothers up in MI in August and went into my first one in Ann Arbor.....wished I had one closer. Unfort., the winery that used to be around here closed about 10 years ago....well before I became interested in wine drinking. I'll keep your advise in mind and be certain i stop at the wineries when I'm traveling......I always see them along the highways but I'm always in a hurry to get to and from my destination but next time I'll take the time to enjoy.

There is something wonderful about a day filled with wine tasting and winery-browsing!
I can't drink most wines, cause of sulfites, but hubby drinks reds.
I can usually only have white zins, a few reislings and almost all muscats or moscottos. Those are the very sweetest of all, and are perfect with chocolate! So, if you're a sweets eater, try some of those.

Please let us know how your adventures in wines go!

Hi Sizz

Usually one would chill a white wine, but some are drinkable at room temperature...

Reds are more of an acquired taste, and it would be handy if you had someone to take you through that experience...there are those that insist reds are best tasted at "room temperature" from ancient lore from Europe...but think that through, and European "rooms" can be pretty chilly! So "room temperature" might be a little colder there than it is here, and if you want to cool your reds a bit, it won't be the biggest sin of the week....

You might also to remember to let your reds "breathe" a bit...which is to say uncork them some time in advance, as this minor point can pick up the taste and experience...

You might, in Michigan, be able to access some of our Canadian whites that are grown near Leamington, or the Niagara ones...the ice wine, though a premium price, is an intense flavour experience (that some like and others don't!) that wins worldwide awards...

For reds, try Wolf Blass Yerllow Label and Grey Label, I can vouch for both, from Australia...

If you like your whites sweeter, try "Late Harvest" types or German Auslese and Spatlese (these are really good products; be prepared to ante up a couple extra bucks)...

The previous advice is also excellent...find a good wine outlet and spend some time sampling the various products (up here you can buy a glass at a time at the winery, granted its only that winery's products on offer) and you will likely find some things you like, and build your choices from there...

Thank you all so much for the great advice.....you guys are the best. I've printed it off so that I can use it for reference. I'm going to buy a Columbia Valley Red this weekend.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom