I have a MACA 21'' 168lbs Beast. Need Recipes!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bigrhino2

Assistant Cook
I need some big recipes for this thing. It is bigger that I thought. I just got it seasoned and that was a big task!

This is a 168 lb LARGE oven. I would love to hear from cooks who have big ovens for tips.
:chef:

Katie, it's a cast iron Dutch oven made by the MACA Supply Company. They have a foundry in Utah, but their ovens are made in India.

I've seen one of these in action. It's a beast! You might have better luck if you post your query on the IDOS forum. Here's the link to the International Dutch Oven Society's website. IDOS > Home Good luck!

Last edited:
I have found that on the dutch oven sites some cooks tend to keep recipes a secret. So many of them either are or dream of compitition cooking.

You have a good point, however, I doubt too many people compete with that large of an oven, so they may be a little more forthcoming with recipes and tips. You also might ask on Yahoo's Dutch oven cooking group, IMO they tend to be a little more open about sharing recipes. Also, in the Yahoo group's files there is a recipe converter that's an Excel spreadsheet. I've never tried using it, and it only converts up to a 20-quart oven, but you might be able to play around with it and use it to calculate the quantities you'd need for your oven (I think the 22" holds 45 quarts).

Joan Larsen's cookbook, Lovin' Dutch Ovens, has a couple of recipes for a 17" oven. One of them, which is a stew, notes you would double the recipe for a 22". If it would help, I could send you that recipe.

About the only other thing I know about MACA ovens is that they're thicker walled, so they take longer to heat through than other cast iron ovens.

I wish I could be of more help, but the largest oven I use is a 14". Good luck!

Pick up a ruler and look at 21" and then look at 10". That is how wide and deep it is. I will try and post a pic. but the top weighs 86lbs. And a picture of it really just looks like a really big Dutch Oven.

Can I ask why you bought such a large dutch oven? Unless you are cooking in a fire place with a crane it seems too large and cumbersome to use.

My sister has a 16" one. I wanted to make sure mine was bigger. Also it has beautiful scene on top along with our family name. It really is beautiful. I do cook for crowds every now and again. I think I can cook for over 100 in this pot. And yes I do need a crane. This will be passed down to my kids.

Catch 1 Big Cow. Clean and skin it. Remove the hoofs. Take useful stuff from inside the cow. Discard the rest.

Line the bottom of the pot with 88 or 100 celery stalk. Keeps the cow from sticking to the bottom of the pot.

Put all the usable stuff from inside the cow into the pot. Place the rest of the cow on its side, inside the pot.

Add several lbs of garlic and other spices. 15 lbs of Ms Dash garlic flavor works well.

Add 47 onions, 35 lbs of potato's and 27 carrots. Add water to till 1/3 of the pot is full. Place lid on pot. Check water 3 times a day and add as needed. Cook over coals for about a week or until you think the meat is well done.

Serve with lots of hot coffee and butter buns.

Don

Back
Top Bottom