I need some help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
PA Baker said:
buckytom said:
give them the first couple of cookies for free, then over charge for milk, and subsequent cookies. keep raising the price, and when they're completely hooked on your cookies, get them to start selling some for a few free ones... :evil:

Maybe someday I'll be the Phillip Morris of cookies! :twisted: ;)

Without the lawsuits, right? And will your "cookie" man be as lovely to look at as the Phillip Morris man was?? ;)

WOW! What GORGEOUS cookies! And what an exciting opportunity!

I seem to remember reading in one of the Diane Mott Davidson mysteries--whose protagonist is a female caterer--that one should charge three times the cost of the materials. Thus, your intake is broken down into three categories: materials; overhead--which covers the contingencies mentioned by catseye and lifter, plus any others which happen along--; and the third category is your profit. Once you get established, you can charge whatever the traffic will bear--which could well be astronomical, considering the quality of your cookies, and taking into account that there is a surprising cachet in being the best and most expensive purveyor in town.

You go, girl!!!!:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

leigh said:
I seem to remember reading in one of the Diane Mott Davidson mysteries--whose protagonist is a female caterer--that one should charge three times the cost of the materials. Thus, your intake is broken down into three categories: materials; overhead--which covers the contingencies mentioned by catseye and lifter, plus any others which happen along--; and the third category is your profit.

I can corroborate this. I read the same formula years ago in a catering-biz how-to primer. In fact, that's the answer I almost posted at the outset, but I'm not sure if the formula applies alike to full-meal catering and single-product offerings.

Cats

It may not be worth it, if you tag on 25% of the cost of the ingredients to cover incidentials, including electricity or gas, and then your time. BUt when you go to a good bakery, cookies are at least $15 or so a dozen for the uncomplicated ones. I had a gingerbread cookie decorated one at Starbucks recently and I belive it was $2.25 for one.

EDIT: Maybe you could call a local bakery and explain, perhaps they will give you some input.

Back
Top Bottom