I need to warm up!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

suziquzie

Chef Extraordinaire
I am freezing this morning, I really truely only warm up when I'm cooking. It's cheaper to bake all day than turn up the thermostat!
Here's the dillemma. If I bake sweets or bread then we eat it FAST and nobody in this house needs any more fat!
What the heck should I do in there today!
:ermm:

Hmmm maybe a few pots to freeze for busy days, to keep us away from (gasp)
McDonald's....

That's funny you said that! I decided on some pumpernickel bread awhile ago and just dumped everything in the mixer!

You can also pre-cook some baked or roasted chicken, beef, etc, divide into portions, freeze it, and then re-heat in the micro wave. You can also do this with soups, spaghetti with sauce, meatloaf, stews, etc. You are in effect, making your own TV-Dinners.

I can tell you, that a perfectly cooked steak, frozen properly (read no-air in freezer bag), is still pefect when re-heated, so long as it is not cooked any more, just made hot again. I've done this with barbecued steak and it works great. Just broil, or pan fry the steak to help heat things up.

As for personal warmth, nothing warms you like a good bowl of soup, be it a bowl of chili, New England Boiled Dinner, any chowder, split pea soup, lentil soup, well, you get the idea.

Hope you warm up quickly.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Seeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Make something you don't like and give it away to your neighbours as a Season's Greetings sort of thing. That always happens here when I bake sweet things. By the time I've baked it, I am sick to death of the smell of the stuff (not having a sweet tooth) and my neighbours and mum get it instead.

Actually we've been in this house almost 3 years and have talked to each of our 4 closest neighbors once each.... I'd feel like an idiot walking over and handing them goodies, they'd think I was poisoning them for letting thier horses loose in my yard!!

A few months after I moved into my house, my shed blew down and took out the side fence. It happened to be Christmas Day night, so Boxing Day, I'm tapping at my neighbour's door going "Hi, I'm your new neighbour and we have a broken fence, oh and by the way, Merry Christmas!" Would have been good to have had a plate of something to take with me then!! LOL

Doing something unexpected for a neighbor is the surest way to create new freinds. A freind of mine had a problem with a neighbor, and my freind and his meighbor didn't get along at all. About ten years ago, we received 5 feet of snow in one day and a night. The neighbor, part of an elderly couple, hunkered down in their home until the storm passed. My freind, took it upon himself to shovel a path for them from their front door to their driveway, and removed the snow from the driveway as well. The neighbor was pleasantly surprized, which broke the ice between them, and my freind and his neighbor became great freinds and still are to this day.

This is the Christmas season. Do something good, and unexpected for your neighbor. At the very least, it will leave you feeling good about yourself. And if a great freindship develops, then your reward will far surpass your efforts.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom