I need your "foodie" shopping suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vitauta

Executive Chef
here's the thing: a brand new whole foods store is set to open in our town, with the old store advertising a super 50% off sale on all their remaining inventory. the sale is today only. if i am to be set loose in a whole foods store, i need me a PLAN. i need me a LIST to go by, and even with all that, i'll probably find myself in deep trouble, like a kid in a toy store with no supervision. please give me some ideas as to what you would put on your whole foods store shopping list? what two or three items would you put at the very top of that list? forget everyday, workaday items, what are a few special things you find yourself, time and again, reluctantly returning to the shelf without purchasing? i figure you'll be helping me either way - by helping me NOT shop, or by aiding and abetting what might turn into a pseudo-criminal foodie shopping spree of my life!! :):innocent::chef:

Anything smoked, pickled or unusual. We don't have a Whole Foods, sounds wonderful!

Exactly, those things you return to the shelf reluctantly. Now is your chance to try them out. Also, anything you normally use and stores easily. Only take in the amount of cash you are willing to spend, leave the checkbook and cards at home.

Different olives, smoked salmon, pickled artichokes, balsamic and other vinegars, kippers, pine nuts, anchovy paste, oriental and Thai products like oyster sauce. Would love to shop there! What fun!

I'm so jealous! The nearest for me is in Madison, an almost 2 hour drive. Since I go so seldom, I indulge myself. Mostly I go for ethnic foods I cannot get locally. Although they look wonderful, I seldom go for fresh produce and meats because I'd have to take a cooler and go straight home. I also hit the Asian grocer and Penzey's spices because they're nearby. But also, at Whole Foods, maybe some cheese and chacouterie for a light dinner when we get home (a trip to Madison necessitates a big lunch at an ethnicity of restaurant we cannot get either here or in Dubuque).

all very excellent ideas, guys, i thank you all so much! exActly what was called for to sharpen my focus and help to prepare me for my sunday foray into whole foods gourmet Par-TT-aayy!

vitauta said:
all very excellent ideas, guys, i thank you all so much! exActly what was called for to sharpen my focus and help to prepare me for my sunday foray into whole foods gourmet Par-TT-aayy!

Whatever you don't use you are welcome to send my way! Have fun!

Definitely go for things you can't buy locally. And, when I wrote fruits I meant dried fruits (cherries, cranberries, blueberries, apricots, things like that because they'll last and if they are on sale...). Same with nuts but I'd store them in the freezer.

Different olives, smoked salmon, pickled artichokes, balsamic and other vinegars, kippers, pine nuts, anchovy paste, oriental and Thai products like oyster sauce. Would love to shop there! What fun!

see, i could take all these mouth-watering delicacies of yours, add to them the best items from the yucky food thread, (i.e. escargot, blood sausage, head cheese, smelts, tripe, caviar, brussel sprouts...) and happily be on my way>>>>

vitauta said:
see, i could take all these mouth-watering delicacies of yours, add to them the best items from the yucky food thread, (i.e. escargot, blood sausage, head cheese, smelts, tripe, caviar, brussel sprouts...) and happily be on my way>>>>

ROFL!!! Please feel free to buy up extra escargot and caviar! Put in box with label, mail to me!

a Variety of dried mushrooms, fruits, and nuts.

yess, i had visions of soft velvety sweet/sourish apricots, plump round hazelnuts with their oily centers, and almonds too, but they were all sold out. i did find some enticing-looking chilean baby wild pears--round little cream colored gems floating in tall clear glass jars. also, a nice array of dried gourmet mushrooms i'm glad to have. the rest will have to wait for another time, and i hope it's soon, especially the apricots....

OMG the aged cheeses at whole foods are what I would love to catch on sale! I bet they will go fast! They sure are good, but so much money. :mad:

OMG the aged cheeses at whole foods are what I would love to catch on sale! I bet they will go fast! They sure are good, but so much money. :mad:

cheese, oh yes indeed - my biggest coup at wf! got me some parmigiano reggiano, two wedges for six dollars! the cheeses were irresistible, and i wanted to buy 20 different kinds - never mind that even with the labels i had no idea what most of them were. my most prized cheese purchase though was this brie-like, soft, ripened cheese called robiola due latti - utterly heaven, this cheese! it had me sitting with some crackers and a wooden cheeseboard and cuts of other delish cheeses, (including a fab cheddar and port salut) and my mother goose jelly jar of pinot grigio, and let me tell you it was nirvana to the uber nth!! this robiola!! with the wine, so diviiine!! and as i sat savoring this sublime creamy goddess of a cheese, i made a promise to myself to never deny its wonders (on occasion) again - even at $24.00 per 500 grams. and no, that's not the white wine talking - i just had to share w/another cheese lover. :)

cheese, oh yes indeed - my biggest coup at wf! got me some parmigiano reggiano, two wedges for six dollars! the cheeses were irresistible, and i wanted to buy 20 different kinds - never mind that even with the labels i had no idea what most of them were. my most prized cheese purchase though was this brie-like, soft, ripened cheese called robiola due latti - utterly heaven, this cheese! it had me sitting with some crackers and a wooden cheeseboard and cuts of other delish cheeses, (including a fab cheddar and port salut) and my mother goose jelly jar of pinot grigio, and let me tell you it was nirvana to the uber nth!! this robiola!! with the wine, so diviiine!! and as i sat savoring this sublime creamy goddess of a cheese, i made a promise to myself to never deny its wonders (on occasion) again - even at $24.00 per 500 grams. and no, that's not the white wine talking - i just had to share w/another cheese lover. :)

Shrek won't let me near the cheese counter.:LOL:

Their cheese would be my weakness too. I can't ever go there without buying 2-3 cheeses and a couple of bottles of wine.

I currently have a bleu 'd Auvergne, Telaggio, and Fromager D'Affinois in my fridge from a few days ago.

And a really spectacular Port in my cupboard.

Last edited:

Sometimes if I drove the hour north to my dads to see him we go to this store there that has got so much darn cheese. They even have samples all over the place!

We try every kind and then buy tons of it and invite my siblings and our children and do a fruit, cheese, bread and cracker sampler. Actually sometimes it is our dinner.

I have personally spent over 100 in cheese in the past lol I like to have these tastings in Oct with Concord grapes after we pick them ourselves. If you ever get a chance try Chocolate Cheese. Michigan State University Dairy Store - Chocolate Cheese

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom