I think I better check this forum often

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Okay, CharlieD, you're gonna have to come clean and tell us what you eat for breakfast, lunch, dinner and any snacks. Then we will tell you what to sub out for the bad stuff. There are many on DC who are combating the same issue. They can help. I am just combating lack of work and try to still eat healthy.

Okay, CharlieD, you're gonna have to come clean and tell us what you eat for breakfast, lunch, dinner and any snacks. Then we will tell you what to sub out for the bad stuff. There are many on DC who are combating the same issue. They can help. I am just combating lack of work and try to still eat healthy.

Yeah, what she said! Let's start with this morning. :angel:

Looking after your health has to come first in order to let you do all those things you need to do. :)
Steven Covey called it "Sharpening the Saw". If you are too busy cutting down the tree to stop and sharpen your saw when it's dull, you aren't looking at things the right way.

;)Oh my, Ive never been to confetion before :LOL:

My eating habits are horrible. I start my weekday morning with a cup of tea and though I do not put sugar in, I always have a scone or a muffin or a piece of cake, or something else sweet. If there is nothing sweet I will take a piece of bread and spread some jam/jelly on it. On Saturday I would have the same type of scone with cup of tea, but I like to add milk and sugar to it. Sunday, my breakfast is usually late; it is practically Branch by then. I love what I called Russian breakfast. Baked potato swimming in oil with some hearing or any other smoked fish products. I love to add some farmers/cottage cheese on the side and soft boiled egg. And then a big cup of Coffee with sweetened condensed milk.

Lunch I usually bring whatever I can find at home, stew, soup, meat with a side, most likely potato or noodles, love both. Bread, I love bread I am always hungry without bread. I try to bring a second set of foods for dinner as I usually work till 7:30 or so, but most of the time it doesn’t happen. When I get home I try not to eat, but most of the time I do and that is usually is late, maybe 8 o’clock. If I do not have dinner I will have a tall glass of milk with something sweet, I love sweets, especially chocolate.
I love fried foods, pretty much anything fried.
Weekends I do not eat normally Unfortunatelly. On Sunday I cook for the week and end up eating more than I should. Especially when I make things I like, versus things my wife likes.
That is about it. I rarely if ever eat salad, I prefer pickled vegies. I love fruits, but sweet fruits and berries.
I do not drink enough water; I do not like the taste. So if I do drink water I like to drink mineral water with one of those Italian syrups, though I mostly use Russian ones.

That is pretty much what I eat. :(

this morning I actually had two small tomatoes and a small piece of chees, was hungry all day.

No wonder. Do you like oatmeal, Charlie? Gravy Queen recently posted a recipe where she mixed dry oatmeal with yogurt and left it overnight, then mixed it with fruit. Sounded delicious and filling. It would probably work with cooked rice, cooked barley, or quinoa as well. Even buckwheat!

Ah, found it!

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f161/fruity-oaty-breakfast-86846.html

Last edited:
You are going to need more protein to see you through to lunch. And the oatmeal breakfast is an excellent suggestion. My mother always told me it would stick to my ribs and I wouldn't get hungry. She was right. Some folks add milk and sugar, some just milk and some just sugar. And some nothing. The choice is yours. With your tea, if you must have a scone or muffing, try having just a half after your oatmeal is all gone. You just may find you are full and not want it. You can take the other half to work for your sweet treat for lunch.

I know you are trying to stop the sweets all at once. That is setting yourself up for failure. For now, just cut back on the serving. Half a muffin or scone at a sitting. Use butter instead of the jam/jelly. Sugar is empty calories. At least the butter has some nutritional value. Eventually you will be cutting out the butter and/or jams.

For lunch try to eat stew with a lot of veggies and meat. Mostly veggies. A good hearty gravy will make the veggies more palatable. (Tasty) I used to mash all the veggies together for my kids. They could not taste any individual veggie that way. You can have your black bread with it. Only one slice. Save the other for your afternoon break with a cup of tea. If there are enough veggies, then you won't want the noodles. Make sure your potato is in the stew as one of the veggies. Carrots, celery, turnips, and any other winter veggie will keep you going until your evening meal. And your cup of tea.

Do you like fried eggs? Or egg salad? I am not sure where egg salad fits on the Kosher scale. Or a tuna sandwich on black bread. If so, try to make an egg or tuna sandwich for that evening meal at work. You get your bread and protein. And your cup of tea. That should hold you until you get home. If you don't eat that evening meal at work, then bring it home and make it part of your dinner at night at home. With you cup of tea.

Anyone want to chime in for his meal at home? And any corrections would be welcome. What I am trying to do is give him a balanced meal while keeping within the laws of Kosher. Remember you can't mix dairy with meat in the same meal. No pork! And I don't want to shock his body after years of improper eating habits. Remember a lot of his eating habits were the result of the soviet rule and no food available in spite of all Stalin's "Five Year Plans."

Yes Charlie, I do know some of the Russian history. Did you know that in spite of those Five Year Plans, most of your grain came from the United States? We sent boatload after boatload of grain to your people. I hope you were one of those that got their share. :angel:

We will tackle your weekend meals tomorrow.

Last edited:
CharlieD, I still think a nutritionist/dietician would be helpful since you keep a kosher house and come from Russia. That person could help you arrive at healthier ways to prepare the foods you like and make sure that they are good for you.

Your eating habits are cultural. Instead of jam/jelly, can you have peanut butter? That is protein. You really do need to boost your protein in the morning (smoked salmon/lox on a bagel?) to get you through the day.

There are other companies that sell the pea protein powder. I forgot that you keep a kosher kitchen and didn't search for a kosher source, but maybe you can find one? And, yes, add those fresh veggies where ever you can. I love fresh tomato on toast. And, I love a tomato-cucumber salad. It is fresh, has olive oil and vinegar, so it is sort of "pickled."

Have you tried "oven frying" those fried foods you like? I do that when I make fried eggplant--I make it in the oven instead of dragging the deep-fat fryer out of the basement. The zucchini fritters I made the other night are sort of like potato pancakes but with zucchini instead. Fewer calories and they can be "fried" in the oven instead of on the stovetop.

What about sweet potatoes instead of potatoes?

Last edited:
Charlie, keep a bottle of plain cold mineral water (no syrup) at the computer and sip it while you are on the computer. You really need to drink water. You are more likely to become ill if you are dehydrated. Your cups of tea throughout the day do not count. Tea has caffeine and caffeine is a diuretic. The same goes for coffee. It removes fluid from your body at a faster rate than normal. That syrup is sugar. Empty calories. :angel:

Charlie I think we better bring to over to Who's Trying To Lose Weight. Go there and you will find something I found for you. :angel:

Thank you. My problem is I hate, not simply dislike, I literally hate veggies and even more so oatmeal and/ or any other kind of grain. Well I do like buckwheat but the way I make is not healthy. Also most of the foods I do not like the texture, like eggs for example, I like an omelet or a fried egg, or pretty much any other kind of egg, but I would not touch it without piece of bread. I might have to go talk to nutritionist.

Back
Top Bottom